PDA

View Full Version : Fix light leak in Wista sliding back adapter

SeanEsopenko
15-Oct-2010, 14:42
My Wista 6x9 sliding back adapter leaks light between it's sliding plane and the part that mounts on the camera. I'd like to start shooting some roll film with my 45SP and would like to fix the leak.

It seems like the felt material on one side of the exposure isn't making firm contact against the sliding part of the adapter. It was obvious due to light leaks extending outside of the imaging and then confirming it by shining a flashlight between the two surfaces of the sliding adapter. It seems to come and go with some shots being worse than others but it's always in the same spot.

Any advice on taking it apart to do the repair? I'm afraid of undoing screws then stuff going "sproing!" all over the place. Even worse, I'm afraid of putting it back together only to have caused it to leak light elsewhere. Where would I find a good felt material to replace it with? Preferably something thicker & denser than the original to prevent it from happening again. The felt on film canisters isn't as thick/dense as what's already on there.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.