PDA

View Full Version : The monthly "WTF, Fuji" thread

Ben Syverson
15-Oct-2010, 13:09
So... anyone know where we are with Fuji these days? Last I heard they were hard at work repackaging their film into 20 sheet boxes.

But the fact remains that I haven't been able to order any Fuji product in 8x10" format for about 6 months.

It feels like they're trying to discontinue some products without the embarrassment of issuing a press release.

Jim Becia
15-Oct-2010, 16:41
Ben,

I was just in Badger Graphics and Jeff said he had both 8x10 Velvia 50 and Velvia 100 in stock. Just checked his website, and both show up. The Provia in 20 sheet boxes is out of stock according to his site. Jim

Ben Syverson
15-Oct-2010, 22:03
Jim, that's encouraging in the short run, but I really don't shoot Velvia. If they had any Fuji C41 I would be interested.

I have a big chunk I'm going to spend on film in the next 30 days. I'm buying Sandy's one-shot color camera, so I could buy a lot of 5x7 HP5. Or I could stock up on 400 NC in 8x10.

My issue is that I'm not sure what message to send to Kodak. I could drop $5k (or more) on color negative materials and lead them to believe that there's a future in film. But I wouldn't need to reorder film for years. If I buy a modest amount of Ilford B&W materials and use them on the tricolor camera, I'm basically telling Kodak to go off and die.

I love all-in-one C-41 color negative, but really doubt it will be around in three years. What am I to do but switch to digital or one-shot color?

Daniel Stone
15-Oct-2010, 22:15
Ben,

I'd buy and store. I'm doing my best to do this, freezer space allowing :). But putting food in my belly takes priority, MOST of the time :D

however, as artist we're called to "suffer" for our art ;). Not to mention, I have more weight to lose anyhow :p

-Dan

John Cahill
17-Oct-2010, 07:33
Ben,

however, as artist we're called to "suffer" for our art ;).
-Dan
Yes, Dan, but only if ya spells art with a capital A.:rolleyes:

eddie
17-Oct-2010, 08:26
plenty of kodak c41 is available....?

John NYC
17-Oct-2010, 08:39
Ben,

Have you tried Kodak E100G? I know it is E6 and you shoot color neg mostly, but I just love it. I bet it would work well for your portraits also.

At $110-ish a box (10 sheets), it is not cheap to try, and that's the problem with these things.

John

Ben Syverson
17-Oct-2010, 09:17
Guys, I've calmed down again -- that was a momentary alcohol-fueled freak out!

I'm excited to try Sandy's one-shot 5x7, but I think C41 in 8x10 will be around for another two or three years, so there's plenty of time to gradually buy an extra box or two here and there. No need to go crazy.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
17-Oct-2010, 10:10
In September I got Fuji 160 S in 20 sheet boxes though England,

ric_kb
18-Oct-2010, 06:59
sorry for breaking in but thinking across a couple threads here...
perhaps what Kodak could do is create a "sample" box of film so folks could try out a couple sheets of this that and the other...
unlikely, I know, since the capital market doesn't solve this type of problem.. perhaps the group might "swap" sheets" for a tryout..
... but then again maybe just thinking too much in the dark these days...

John NYC
5-Nov-2010, 17:17
By the way (even though I can't stand Fuji as a company) I decided to buy a box of Provia in 8x10. Badger has it in stock in the 20 sheet boxes, and that is where I got mine.

BennehBoy
7-Nov-2010, 12:29
In September I got Fuji 160 S in 20 sheet boxes though England,

Who did you purchase it from?

MumbleyJoe
9-Nov-2010, 14:10
I just noted that Glazers Camera here in Seattle now has boxes of 20 sheets for Astia and Provia in 4x5, while they still have boxes of 10 for Velvia 50 and also some Provia.

So it looks like the boxes of 20 are finally starting to roll out, and also that the stores are figuring out how to deal with Fuji's weird inventory management.