PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao 45's: where are they?

Robert Crigan
15-Oct-2010, 04:40
Hi
I met Mr.Zhang of Shen Hao at Photokina and was impressed by his cameras. I want to buy a 45 but am having trouble finding someone to sell me one.
I live in Melbourne and there is not yet an Australian importer. Emails to the Shen Hao address go unanswered and Badger Graphics in the US is out of stock.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Robert, Melbourne

gari beet
15-Oct-2010, 04:45
Hi Robert, you could try Robert White in the UK. They do have some stock.
I have a Shen TFC/I which is a copy of the Ebony 45s and am very happy with it.
I am considering getting a PTB or the 45 folder.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/products.asp?PT_ID=437

Cheers
Gari

swmcl
15-Oct-2010, 05:30
Hi Robert,

I sent you a PM.

Rgds,

StevenJohn
15-Oct-2010, 06:48
I just bought a PTB 4x5. The View Camera Store in the US ordered it for me. It took about a month. I'm very happy with it.

Lachlan 717
15-Oct-2010, 13:23
Robert,

What email address are you using? I've had 2 Shen's delivered direct from the factory to Melbourne, all done by direct email to Mr Zhang.

Also, I think there's a distributor in QLD. Can't remember any more than that...

Robert Crigan
15-Oct-2010, 15:50
Thanks for the leads, guys. Unfortunately the model I want (HZX 45 AII) is the model that Badger Graphics lacks.
The email addresses I've tried for Shen Hao are zhangfmli@vip.sina.com and stephen.shenhao@gmail.com
If they were monitored I'd expect a reply after a month.

Lachlan 717
15-Oct-2010, 19:59
Top one's the one I use.

Also, have a look here (the Aussie seller):

http://studiogear.com.au/products%20LF.htm

David Watts
16-Oct-2010, 03:24
Robert, I bought an HZX45-IIA from Studio Gear two years ago. Quick service and I would recommend them.

sultanofcognac
17-Oct-2010, 05:30
Robert, I bought an HZX45-IIA from Studio Gear two years ago. Quick service and I would recommend them.

Robert, I've just returned from a week in Switzerland. Took my HZX45-IIA with me (not too heavy to carry on the train from France), and it proved to be light and very easy to use.

This was taken on Säntis, at the top of the Swiss Alps. . . I'm very happy to have this one in my répertoire!

Robert Crigan
26-Oct-2010, 01:00
Lovely photo of a lovely camera! At last some Shen Hao stock has arrived and I ordered my HZX from The View Camera Store last week. Eagerly waiting. I expect my Nagaoka 45 and 810 will take a back seat while I learn to use the Shen Hao. Some heavy-duty portrait sessions coming up. Thanks for all your help,guys!
regards from Robert

Robert, I've just returned from a week in Switzerland. Took my HZX45-IIA with me (not too heavy to carry on the train from France), and it proved to be light and very easy to use.

This was taken on Säntis, at the top of the Swiss Alps. . . I'm very happy to have this one in my répertoire!

Lachlan 717
26-Oct-2010, 01:28
Keep the updates on his camera coming!

Michael Wynd
26-Oct-2010, 14:47
Hi Robert,
I went from a Nagaoka 4x5 to a Shen HZX45-IIA and was amazed at the weight difference and the difference in brightness of the ground glass. I then found out that the Shen is not considered heavy for a 4x5 and that the Nag had a fresnel that the Shen lacked. The Shen was a lovely camera though and I enjoyed using, but I decided that I needed to go up a size. So I now have a Tachihara 8x10 triple extension that weighs about 6.6 kilos with the 300mm lens in place.
I think you will enjoy using the Shen as much as I did. I sold the Shen to Mick Fagan in Melbourne. I don't think he is a member here, but he is a member of APUG, if you want to talk to him about it.
cheers
Mike

Lachlan 717
26-Oct-2010, 19:23
... and that the Nag had a fresnel that the Shen lacked. The Shen was a lovely camera though and I enjoyed using, but I decided that I needed to go up a size.

There's a bloke on eBay (based in QLD, I think), who custom cuts fresnels for AUS$44.

Really makes a big difference.

jon.oman
27-Oct-2010, 07:46
I bought my HZX45-IIA with a fresnel....

Scotty230358
28-Oct-2010, 15:21
Hi Robert, you could try Robert White in the UK. They do have some stock.
I have a Shen TFC/I which is a copy of the Ebony 45s and am very happy with it.
I am considering getting a PTB or the 45 folder.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/products.asp?PT_ID=437

Cheers
Gari

Gary

If you are considering buying a TZ45 then mine will be up for sale in about 3 weeks when my Walker Titan arrives. It has been upgraded with an ebony fresnel and comes with bag bellows, spare ground glass and aluminium case. PM me if interested.

Adrian Twiss

Robert Crigan
28-Oct-2010, 16:47
Thanks Mike. I ordered my HZX45IIA last week from the View Camera Store and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
I appeciate the weight difference. I use my Nagaoka when bushwalking. For my 45 professional work I've long used my Sinar F.
I'm no longer practising professionally but still maintain an interest in architectural photography. The Nagaoka is not quite rugged and versatile enough for this but I expect the Shen Hao to manage well. It will be bicycle-portable which is a big plus for central city photography, an advantage my Sinar lacked once I packed the many lenses, double darks and reflex viewer.
I'll let you know how the HZX turns out as soon as I can put it through its paces.
regards
Robert

Hi Robert,
I went from a Nagaoka 4x5 to a Shen HZX45-IIA and was amazed at the weight difference and the difference in brightness of the ground glass. I then found out that the Shen is not considered heavy for a 4x5 and that the Nag had a fresnel that the Shen lacked. The Shen was a lovely camera though and I enjoyed using, but I decided that I needed to go up a size. So I now have a Tachihara 8x10 triple extension that weighs about 6.6 kilos with the 300mm lens in place.
I think you will enjoy using the Shen as much as I did. I sold the Shen to Mick Fagan in Melbourne. I don't think he is a member here, but he is a member of APUG, if you want to talk to him about it.
cheers
Mike