PDA

View Full Version : What model of Horseman 4x5 do I have?

stevegomes
14-Oct-2010, 18:49
I just bought a Horseman 4x5 camera from a friend who originally purchased it at least 20 years ago. I asked him today what model camera it is, but he bought it so long ago, he doesn't remember. He says it was top of the line at the time, though.

I can't find any markings on the camera itself (except for the Horseman logo on the knobs), but there is a serial number on the bottom of the tripod block: 8315223.

Does anyone know if there's a way to figure out what model I have from this serial number?

Thanks very much,
Steve

ic-racer
14-Oct-2010, 18:58
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html

Scroll down to the 1988 Horseman catalog. It is probably listed in there.

Lachlan 717
14-Oct-2010, 19:09
I just bought a Horseman 4x5 camera from a friend who originally purchased it at least 20 years ago. I asked him today what model camera it is, but he bought it so long ago, he doesn't remember. He says it was top of the line at the time, though.

I can't find any markings on the camera itself (except for the Horseman logo on the knobs), but there is a serial number on the bottom of the tripod block: 8315223.

Does anyone know if there's a way to figure out what model I have from this serial number?

Thanks very much,
Steve

Can you post a photo or 2 of it?

stevegomes
15-Oct-2010, 06:45
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm on a train heading out of town at the moment, but I'll post some shots of the camera in question when I get back.

Steve

Lachlan 717
15-Oct-2010, 13:26
Can you narrow it down?

Is it a monorail? Folding?

If folding, is it metal or timber?

If monorail, does it have a small computer on the back standard?

Answers to these will help a little...

stevegomes
19-Oct-2010, 16:56
I'm attaching a photo of the camera in question.

I'm not that familiar with which features would distinguish one model Horseman from another. But if you need to see a particular angle or view of the camera to tell which model it is, please let me know and I'll post more photos.

Thanks again for the help,
Steve

Lachlan 717
19-Oct-2010, 20:05
L-Series (eg. L-45, LE-45).

Really, really nice camera. I couldn't justify having this and a timber 4x5, so sold my Horseman.

Beautifully made, great design, and uses Sinar kit (read "shutter").

Hope you enjoy it!

Richard Raymond
20-Oct-2010, 16:03
Steve, Looks like a 450 or a 450B. I would need to see the other side of the camera to know a little better. However, the main difference is that the 450B is a more entry level camera in that it does not have rack and pinion drives on the front standard, only on the rear standard. So, most likely a 450 from your description. The upgrade from the 450 would have a two level extendable rail system.
Nice camera.
Best of luck with it.
Ric

gmarion
20-Mar-2011, 14:46
Hi all,

Sorry, but I've the same problem of identification.

I just have a Horseman 4x5 technical camera : S/N 8310567

Can you help me to have the model (450, L, LE, LS etc...). I'm in the clouds :(

Thank you,

Robert Jonathan
22-Mar-2011, 17:24
gmarion, from the picture, it looks like you have a 450 or LE of some sort, but not sure.

It doesn't matter though:

All you need to know is that you don't have the top of the line LS or LX models, because they have base tilts (you can tilt the entire L frames).

What you DO have is one of the better models that you'll find because you have both geared rise/fall and geared shift.

Other models, including the LB, DO NOT have geared rise/fall and shift. On those, you'll find instead of the round geared knobs, they just have a locking knob like you have for tilts.

What you DON'T have are base tilts (I never use mine on the LS) and the extendable monorail. Big deal. I have an extendable monorail, and I'd rather have the 400mm basic rail that you have pictured. Other than those two things, you have all the best features of the Horseman L-series line of cameras.

One more thing: The LX had some sort of main frame displacement feature (probably of not much use to me) and the LX-C has a digital focusing computer.

Edit: looking at an old Horseman catalogue, you definitely have a regular 450. (400mm monorail, geared rise/fall/shift, removeable main frames).