PDA

View Full Version : What is the very best RC paper, VC?

Eric Woodbury
13-Oct-2010, 19:46
I hate questions like this, but I'm curious what you all think the best RC, variable contrast paper is that I can buy at Freestyle? Without regard to cost. Which paper, under glass, would you not know from fiber? Furthermore, is there an RC paper out there that is a little warm with white (not cream) highlights, without toning. (don't like toning).

Thanks all. This is the best forum.

Eric Biggerstaff
14-Oct-2010, 08:15
I have been using Adox MCP 310 for proof prints, it may be close to what you are looking for. Not sure about the comparison to FB paper underglass bit it is a nice paper.

jp
14-Oct-2010, 09:16
I'll know it's not fiber because it dries flat without any effort. Under glass, my only concern is that people don't think it's inkjet. I really haven't used FB paper in a long time. Just make sure your matte covers the edges of the print when you frame it and nobody will be able to see how thick the paper is.

For slightly warm, I like the Ilford MG RC Warmtone glossy paper. Not as warmtone as something toned, but it's nice for something thats best not plain neutral.

Got some scans from 35mm prints printed on 5x7 paper:

http://www.f64.nu/gallery2007/view_album.php?set_albumName=album148

It's not color accurate scans; just a $100 canon scanner, but you can see how different tones are presented.

For neutral tone, I like the Fomaspeed variant III glossy. I don't try too many types of paper really. I've used Kodak polycontrast but dropped it because I liked Ilford paper better, and now think Foma makes slightly nicer glossy RC VC paper for neutral tone, but I like Ilford for the warm tone. It's all subjective.

Mark Sawyer
14-Oct-2010, 10:10
Ilford MGIV or WarmTone; both are very nice but neither will look or last like fiber-based papers. The resin-coating has a different feel, physically and visually.

Eric Woodbury
14-Oct-2010, 10:53
Thanks for the suggestions. Don't worry. I'm not converting to RC. I merely wish to use the least objectionable RC (because of its easy handling), to knock off some obligations where it really doesn't matter how long something lasts or how it feels. Don't we all have these wish lists? If I were to put all of these on fiber, I would never get to the stuff I want to do.

al olson
14-Oct-2010, 11:58
My preference is the Kentmere paper that is now owned and coated by Harman. It is about twice as fast as the Ilford paper and has a deeper, richer black.

A while back, the papers 16x20 or greater were not being carried by Freestyle and their latest catalog only shows sheet paper as large as 8x10. However their web site shows sheet paper as large as 20x24 and it also has large rolls.