PDA

View Full Version : NooB: advice on WHICH 4x5 roll film holder please

oibal60
13-Oct-2010, 06:58
Hi folks,
First, yes, I did a search -- didn't really find the 'advice' I was looking for.

OK, where we go...
Inherited my dad's 1960's era Super Technika IV. Absolute mint condition.
The back that came with it is the Linhof Rollex 6X9 Rollfilm Adapter with automatic exposure counter -- yes the one with the 'knob' rather than the 'lever'.
I'd like to put a roll of B+W (emphasis on roll) through it.
I know (now) that in order to do that, with 'modern' film, that I NEED a 4X5 'back.'
In my searches, I'm seeing 'Horseman', 'Graflex 22/23', 'Calumet', etc. etc. and to this untrained (and, yes, NooB to LF) eye, am *unable* to discern the wheat from the chaff.
This is a Linhof, so I want to put a 'decent' roll-film (4x5) back on it - one that will be reliable, not a beast to operate, etc.
If I do get a roll-film back (4x5) will I need any special additional 'adapter' to 'connect' the 4X5 roll-film back TO the Linhoff itself -- or is it just a case of 'plug and play' so to speak.
Thanx for your patience fellas ...and advice if you can spare it.
Cordially,
Gerry
(Long Island)

Vick Vickery
13-Oct-2010, 07:19
Gerry, I'm finding your question a little confusing...Your Linhoff has a "universal" back, I think, on which you can remove the ground-glass panel and put on a roll film holder...since you got a Rolex holder with your dad's camera, I would think it would probably fit your camera. Does your roll-film holder not have edges extending around it to fit on the opening on the back of your camera after removing the ground-glass panel? If not, you do indeed need a holder made to fit on your 4x5 camera to shoot 120 roll film. I use mostly the Graflex backs on my Cambo and Graphic cameras, but the Calumet and Linhoff backs are also excellent.

A picture of your camera and back would help us see exactly what you have and make it easier to comment on what you need, or if you need any thing else to shoot roll film.

Brian Ellis
13-Oct-2010, 08:00
There's no such thing as a 4x5 roll film back. You use the roll film back you have for roll film and you remove it and use the normal 4x5 Linhof back with a 4x5 film holder for 4x5 sheet film.

oibal60
13-Oct-2010, 08:00
Hi,
Thanx for replying.
The flat back that's currently on it can be (partially) 'pivoted open' (about 1/4 inch at only one side) - like a bird's beak - exposing the ground glass. It's spring loaded. I've also been able to completely remove the back (and yes, completely clean, the ground glass on both sides) which lets one look completely at the 'rear' part of the camera and at the rear part of the bellows.
The Rollex 9X12 back - that came with the ST - certainly (mechanically) covers all corners of the back of the camera and locks into place.
I was told that the existing Rollex (9X12) back will NOT take modern 120 roll film because the film is 'too big' for this type of film container. Thus, my quest for a *4X5* roll film back of decent quality.
Will take some pix this evening.
(BTW, love the way the back rotates! ...Moses! ...and they built these units on lathes!)
TIA,
Gerry

mrkauffman
13-Oct-2010, 08:30
would you mind posting a picture of the back of the camera with the existing film back rtemoved?

i have a 4x5 cambo revolving film back that im trying to get rid of but its held in place in a certain way, i dont think its universal among all camera brands.

oibal60
13-Oct-2010, 09:19
would you mind posting a picture of the back of the camera with the existing film back rtemoved?

i have a 4x5 cambo revolving film back that im trying to get rid of but its held in place in a certain way, i dont think its universal among all camera brands.

Will take a bunch of pix this evening (after I get home from work) and will post them first thing tomorrow morning.

Gerrry

oibal60
14-Oct-2010, 06:09
Pix taken:

http://ifly.freeyellow.com/miscell/Linhof-ST-IV/index.htm

I'd REALLY like to be able to put a roll of (roll) film (120???) into that Rollex and get crackin'. Someone told me "NO... not without sending it away to be adjusted."

Any advice / input (based on pix or experience) mucho appreciated.

Gerry

Vaughn
14-Oct-2010, 09:14
What does it say in the Rollex instruction book you have pictured there? If it says to use 120 film, then there is no difference between old and modern 120 film -- all the same size.

Bob Salomon
14-Oct-2010, 09:26
Your camera has a Linhof International back. That means that it can take either slip-in (Graphic) type roll film backs or Graflock type like the Rollex that you have. to use your back on your camera you have to take the ground glass panel off by pressing down on the silver levers at the top and bottom of the GG holder where they have a ridged finish. While holding them down just slide the levers (springs) back towards the bottom of the GG panel and it will slip right off. Do make sure that the locking slides above the levers are in the retracted position. Now set your back in the place where the gg frame was and slide those retracted locking levers down to hold the Rollex back in place.

But after doing this be aware that film will not space properly in the back that you have unless your back has been modified by Linhof service for modern 120 film rolls.

Your camera is probably also long overdue for a proper CLA by a qualified service center. In the USA you can reach service at 252 652-4401.

No adapter is required for 120/220/70mm or 5" roll film for your camera other then the proper back.

oibal60
14-Oct-2010, 09:27
What does it say in the Rollex instruction book you have pictured there? If it says to use 120 film, then there is no difference between old and modern 120 film -- all the same size.

Howdy,
Thanx for replying.
I'll double check but I seem to remember it mentioning 2-1/4" / 3-1/4".
Was under the impression that 'old' roll film holders were mechanically set so as to 'take' the older films ...which had paper backs and were, thus, 'thicker'. Hence, if you try and run some modern (120?) film thru them, sure, the size is correct, but you may not get a 'successful' wind-on.
Since I work at 2 Penn. Plaza (i.e. MSG) here in NYC...I'm gonna mosey down to B+H on 9th. ave. and see if I can pick a brain or two. The above may just be old-wives-tales, and as we all know, nuffin' beats real world experience.
Thanx again,
Gerry

Jack Dahlgren
14-Oct-2010, 10:25
Howdy,
Thanx for replying.
I'll double check but I seem to remember it mentioning 2-1/4" / 3-1/4".
Was under the impression that 'old' roll film holders were mechanically set so as to 'take' the older films ...which had paper backs and were, thus, 'thicker'. Hence, if you try and run some modern (120?) film thru them, sure, the size is correct, but you may not get a 'successful' wind-on.
Since I work at 2 Penn. Plaza (i.e. MSG) here in NYC...I'm gonna mosey down to B+H on 9th. ave. and see if I can pick a brain or two. The above may just be old-wives-tales, and as we all know, nuffin' beats real world experience.
Thanx again,
Gerry

2 1/4" or 6cm is the nominal width of 120 film. Like all roll film, one dimension is fixed and the other can be longer or shorter so you have 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12 and 2 1/4"x 3 1/4" all using the same 120 film format.

Apparently newer film stocks are slightly thinner than the old ones which may change image spacing, but if you are just wanting to put a roll through the camera you can go ahead and do this - you just might get some minor overlap on the frames. It will be subtle.