PDA

View Full Version : coupled viewfinder on 6x9 cameras?

Chris Helper
10-Oct-2010, 13:12
I'm still searching for my ideal camera. Now my thoughts came back to technical 6x9 cameras like Horseman VH-R or Linhof Technika, that have a coupled viewfinder. My question is: Can I see the effect of rise and fall through the viewfinder with these types of camera?

I made experiences with a 4x5 field camera and different types of medium format rangefinders.
My experience is, that I am often in a bit of hurry when taking pictures. Well, that's my way. Therefore I like rangefinders like the Fujica GW690. But what I really miss on this type of camera is rise and fall.
My Shen Hao HZX IIA gives me these movements, but the basic setup is too cumbersome, especially focusing on the ground class is not what I want to do when time is an issue. A viewfinder on a field camera is exactly what I need, but only if it is coupled with rise and fall.

Jeff Keller
10-Oct-2010, 14:02
The rangefinder view window of the Horseman VHR does not show the effects of rise, tilt, or shift. However there is a monocular reflex viewer available which is actually kind of nice. (Both Linhof & Horseman but they are not interchangeable).

The disadvantage of the Horseman reflex viewer is that it has to be removed to attach the roll film holder, which pretty much forces the use of a tripod. Horseman also has a circular adapter which holds both the viewer and the roll film back, allowing a quick rotation to use either. The disadvantage of the circular adapter is that the film plane is moved further back making the shortest focal length lenses harder to use.

I'm not personally aware of anything that can approach the speed of a 35mm SLR with shift lenses. I've seen other threads about Makiflex & Gowlandflex cameras but the pictures I've seen don't show shift controls.

Jeff Keller

toyotadesigner
10-Oct-2010, 15:20
If you shoot wide, what about a Plaubel 69W ProShift Superwide?

Though no rangefinder, the finder follows the movement of the lens plate. It's similar to the Fuji you said you like so much...

http://wp.me/p16Snz-4k

Bob Salomon
10-Oct-2010, 19:54
No. But some Sylvestri cameras have a finder that shows rise/fall in the finder.

Brian Stein
10-Oct-2010, 20:21
If exact framing is not an issue you can use the sports finder on speed/crown graphics which will show rise and fall. No viewfinder will give you tilt: you need the ground glass for that.

Chris Helper
12-Oct-2010, 15:25
I hardly ever used real wide angle; on 4x5 my widest lens is 135mm.

Brian, really a good idea to point me into that direction! A Crown Graphic is maybe exactly what I'm looking for.

Drew Bedo
14-Oct-2010, 07:41
Put a roll film back on one of the Polaroid conversions . . .? Parallax corrected, coupled range/view finder.

I think Razzel has done some dedicated roll film conversions of these bodies. Check this forum for a link.

Lars Daniel
14-Oct-2010, 07:46
Before going 4x5, I used the tilt/shift adapter on Mamiya RZ67 a lot. Not a lot of shift, but plenty of tilt.

Bob Salomon
14-Oct-2010, 08:11
This is the question that was posed:

"Can I see the effect of rise and fall through the viewfinder with these types of camera?"

Very few responses addressed and answered this question. Why?

Jack Dahlgren
14-Oct-2010, 10:35
This is the question that was posed:

"Can I see the effect of rise and fall through the viewfinder with these types of camera?"

Very few responses addressed and answered this question. Why?

Because this is the internet.

Dan Fromm
14-Oct-2010, 12:43
Get a #1 Folding Pocket Kodak Special, also listed as #1 Kodak Autographic Special. The camera has front rise and the finder is attached to the front standard.

Here's a sample catalog page: http://mgroleau.com/galerie.php?pic=kodak1926_21.jpg&dir=catalogues_kodak/1926&de=catalogues_kodak/index.html&titre=Kodak%201926

GPS
15-Oct-2010, 00:05
Get a #1 Folding Pocket Kodak Special, also listed as #1 Kodak Autographic Special. The camera has front rise and the finder is attached to the front standard.

Here's a sample catalog page: http://mgroleau.com/galerie.php?pic=kodak1926_21.jpg&dir=catalogues_kodak/1926&de=catalogues_kodak/index.html&titre=Kodak%201926

Spare yourself the effort. Thinking that the attached finder while raised or lowered shows what the lens projects on the gg would be technically very naive...

Martin Miksch
15-Oct-2010, 00:13
question of the year^^

Chris Helper
15-Oct-2010, 03:24
Next time I will choose a better title. "Viewfinder showing movements?" would have been a better choice.

It looks as if there is still room for technical innovations. There seem to be few solutions like the Silvestri H25 or the mentioned Plaubel 69W ProShift, but these are special cameras for extreme wide angle. What's missing is a solution that works with all focal lengths.

I could also imagine a digital viewfinder on a film camera, that is coupled with the movements. I read about a cool viewfinder app for the iPhone, but of course it will not be able to consider movements.

Emmanuel BIGLER
15-Oct-2010, 07:14
"Viewfinder showing movements?"

here is one on a 6x9 camera ; I can guarantee that movements are perfectly shown with precision :D
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/5077909184_7cde2991c9_b.jpg
(but this might not be the technical solution you are looking for ;) )

Dan Fromm
15-Oct-2010, 07:50
Next time I will choose a better title. "Viewfinder showing movements?" would have been a better choice.

It looks as if there is still room for technical innovations. There seem to be few solutions like the Silvestri H25 or the mentioned Plaubel 69W ProShift, but these are special cameras for extreme wide angle. What's missing is a solution that works with all focal lengths.

I could also imagine a digital viewfinder on a film camera, that is coupled with the movements. I read about a cool viewfinder app for the iPhone, but of course it will not be able to consider movements.What you want is a 2x3 SLR. If you read French, here's a survey of the field: http://www.galerie-photo.com/reflex-moyen-grand-format.html If you don't read French, look at the pictures.

Ain't no wide angle lenses for such cameras. If you want wide angle lenses, accurate framing, and larger than 6x6, consider getting a Pentax 67 or a an RB/RZ 67 or a Fuji 680.

Alternatively, what you want is a 6x9 TLR with parallax correction. Dream on.

rfesk
18-Oct-2010, 17:10
The Mamiya Universal has a coupled rangefinder/viewfinder and has 6X9 backs. The Super 23 has rear movements also. But you can't see the movements in the viewfinder.

You can 't have everything - but the Horseman technical cameras come close.