PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a cheap pre-war wide for 4x5?

William Barnett-Lewis
9-Oct-2010, 20:09
My primary lens is a 135/4.5 CZJ Tessar in a dial set compur and I've got a 6 1/2" Wollensak triple convertible coming to take care of my longer needs. Which means it's time to start thinking about what to do for a wider view. I only occasionally run into a need for it and, so far, can do just fine with the two foot zoom.

My budget being empty due to the Wolly, there is no hurry on this. OTOH, this is as good an excuse as any to begin learning about old time wide angle lenses.

What I'd like is something that fits in with my taste for older glass that will also fit within my budget - cheap & cheaper :rolleyes: I know, I know, wide angle, 4x5 coverage and cheap don't usually come together in the same lens. I'll just try to see what the best compromise I can make is.

I don't tend to use much in the way of movements, although I'm trying to take more advantage of them

I am well aware that of all lenses, wides were the most impacted by the changes since WWII; coatings, computer design, and so forth; but I still find pre-war lenses more interesting.

Shooting a Crown Graphic, the usual suspects are, of course, the 90/6.8 Angulon & the post-war 100/6.3 WF Ektar. I've heard ill rumors about the early Angulons and the few times I've come across the Ektars, they've been a bit more than I could swing. Are there any other less usual suspects I should look out for?

Also any good reading on the subject? Dead tree or online? I do have the Vade Mecum though that's usually more use to me after I'm holding something going "Huh?"

Thanks all,

William

Vick Vickery
9-Oct-2010, 20:42
The Wollensak 90mm ExWA f/12.5 can often be had for under $100 and gives plenty of movement on 4x5.

Richard Rankin
9-Oct-2010, 21:40
Lancaster WAR is my favorite. I also have a O. Simon tetranar.
Richard

William Barnett-Lewis
10-Oct-2010, 10:37
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into them & see what fun there is to be had.

Dan Fromm
10-Oct-2010, 11:16
Aristostigmat Weitwinkel, pre- or post war. F/9 early, f/6.3 later. Said to cover 100 degrees; if true, an 80 will do very well for you. I have a 100/6.3 in barrel; like the Angulon and f/6.8 Raptars, wide open is for focusing, f/11 and smaller are for shooting.

Try a google search. Last time I looked some dealers in the UK had a couple.

Since you have a Crown, not a Speed, you want one in shutter. Putting one in barrel in shutter will blow your budget badly.

William Barnett-Lewis
10-Oct-2010, 11:26
Thank you, Dan. I was hoping you would have a suggestion like that one - something I've never heard of but sounds interesting. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

Kuzano
10-Oct-2010, 11:35
I've been told that this little Wollensak Raptar Wide Angle 79mm will cover 4X5 and performs nicely. I don't know this, never having used it.

Perhaps someone here knows more about it. It's in barrel, and the threads on the back appear to screw directly into the front of a shutter, or could be used with FP shutter.

The lens glass is much clearer than appears in the picture.

Dan Fromm
10-Oct-2010, 13:17
Kuzano, the only way to know for sure what a Wolly lens will do is to ask it. Any idea what it was made for?

They did make a line of f/6.8 4/4 double Gauss types, the most common focal lengths are 65 mm and 90 mm. The 90 just covers 4x5, so if your baby is a 4/4 double Gauss odds are it won't. 4/4 double Gauss = 4 strong reflections, no weak ones from each cell.

Ole Tjugen
11-Oct-2010, 00:04
... I've heard ill rumors about the early Angulons ,,,

You haven't heard those ill rumors from me! I have both early and late Angulons, and a pre-WWII 210mm Angulon is on of my favourite lenses on 8x10" (and 24x30cm).

William Barnett-Lewis
11-Oct-2010, 06:21
Ole, I referred to what I've read online about them as rumors for a reason :) Perhaps someday I'll be in a position to see for myself. In the meantime, it's good to know of your experiences as well.

I'm not nearly as fussy as my wallet is :eek:

Ernest Purdum
12-Oct-2010, 09:45
The Protar Series V, f18, is a remarkable lens. Bausch & Lomb and Ross made them in addition to Zeiss. They are a backpacker's delight, truly tiny.