PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic Mats

Shailendra
9-Oct-2010, 16:40
Can anyone recommend any places where I can purchase panoramic size mattes in a 3x1 ratio? The largest print I plan to print images is 16.5" x 50" with matte size going up to 20" x 60".

Is it better to purchase my own cutting equipment? Any help is appreciated.

jp
9-Oct-2010, 18:47
Most matteboard is max 32x40 inches. You'll have to check around to get board that is bigger though! Don't expect reasonable shipping charges either if you buy the material yourself or have someone make a matte. You will also have potential trouble finding foamcore or other backing material for the image, but it will be a little easier since that stuff is also used for big tradeshow/retail displays as well as framing. I'm guessing you've already run into some of this and that's why you're asking here.

It is usually good to have your own matte cutting equipment. I have a logan matte cutter that sits on the tabletop. I can cut any exact size I want. Then I can take the scraps and cut little mattes.

Shailendra
9-Oct-2010, 19:12
Most matteboard is max 32x40 inches. You'll have to check around to get board that is bigger though! Don't expect reasonable shipping charges either if you buy the material yourself or have someone make a matte. You will also have potential trouble finding foamcore or other backing material for the image, but it will be a little easier since that stuff is also used for big tradeshow/retail displays as well as framing. I'm guessing you've already run into some of this and that's why you're asking here.

It is usually good to have your own matte cutting equipment. I have a logan matte cutter that sits on the tabletop. I can cut any exact size I want. Then I can take the scraps and cut little mattes.

JP,

thanks for the info. I'm actually asking because I'm considering purchasing an Epson 4880 printer (17" wide) to start printing some of my panoramic work. I'd like to be able to frame the images with some matts obviously so wanted to get a feel for what Iind of mattes I can expect to get assuming I print at around 17".

I like the idea of purchasing my own matte cutter and will consider the one that you mentioned. I just hope the learning curve isn't too steep. :)

Vaughn
9-Oct-2010, 22:42
Mat board to 60" is readily available, but shipping is an issue/expense -- usually by freight (truck) if you order it yourself. Some art stores will stock it -- but very limited selection of whites. The few times I have needed a 60" piece, I have been able to buy a sheet locally. But if you are doing a high volume, then buying a 25 sheet package of 40"x60" matboard is not an issue.

Research into mat cutters. If you are doing volume, then there are better mat (or at least more expensive!) cutters out there -- and you will need one that can handle 40"x60" board with ease -- expensive and they take up space.

Here is a recent thread on mat cutters -- the range is large, as is the range of opinions. I started off using a straight edge and Dexter. Moved to a Logan hand unit to run along the same straight edge. A couple thousand mats or so over many years.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8791&page=3&highlight=mat+cutters

The learning curve is not steep -- just remember to have some band-aids around. Blood is very difficult to get off mat board.

Vaughn

jeroldharter
10-Oct-2010, 15:51

The learning curve is not steep -- just remember to have some band-aids around. Blood is very difficult to get off mat board.

Vaughn

Well, it is kind of steep to do a good job. Especially if you want to leave a margin between the edge of the print and the mat board. I would start with some 8x10's or something small. You don't want to make many mistakes on 60 inch mat boards. The cost of mat board has gone way up and framing is expensive.

How are you going to mount the prints? That equipment can be large and expensive also. You need a lot of space to mat prints that large.

Greg Miller
10-Oct-2010, 16:41
Cutting the mats isn't too bad with a little practice. But handling glazing (acrylic or glass) that large can be very tricky and assembling the whole set without getting dust inside can be a total pain. I leave anything with a mat board longer than 40" to the real pros.

Vaughn
10-Oct-2010, 18:52
Well, it is kind of steep to do a good job. Especially if you want to leave a margin between the edge of the print and the mat board. I would start with some 8x10's or something small. You don't want to make many mistakes on 60 inch mat boards....

Definitely start small! One forgets that there is a good amount of muscle-memory involved with cutting mats. Through experience, the muscles in the hand, arm, back and the rest of the body, know what to do by what the eyes see and the resistance felt from the blade.

Sixty inch mats require a lot of clean space and work surfaces. Framing would be quite the process, too!

I leave that margin, too, Jerold. I find that requires good measurement abilities as much as good mat cutting skills.

Vaughn

z_photo
10-Oct-2010, 20:02
available precut to your desired custom size at www.framedestination.com