PDA

View Full Version : My 16x20 in walnut with reversible back and 14x17 reducing back is here!

Hugo Zhang
9-Oct-2010, 15:44
After two years waiting, my camera is finally here and I spend hours looking at upside down world around me through different lenses. This is my ultimate camera and how big the ground glass is and incredible all the details on it and it simply takes my breath away every time I look at it!

The widest lens I can use is 265mm f/18 lens which does not cover 16x20 at infinity, but good enough for 14x17 back. The longest lens I can use is a 75cm Apo-Skopar.

Here are a few pictures.

Hugo Zhang
9-Oct-2010, 15:52
A few pictures.

Sirius Glass
9-Oct-2010, 15:56
It would have been better in Cherry and Teak. Re-order the camera to made in Cherry and Teak and send this one to me for proper disposal!

Steve

Daniel Stone
9-Oct-2010, 16:02
hugo,

how many trees went into making that beautiful camera ;)?

-Dan

Richard K.
9-Oct-2010, 16:52
Looks like it was totally worth the long wait! Congratulations Hugo....

dng88
9-Oct-2010, 18:43
I would say rather to think about how many trees this camera can take is more my comment. That people can appreciate more the beauty of landscape, natural object and body because the wooden camera carried by Ansel or Weston should not be underestimated. That might be help.

But mind to share any experience of using it. I guess pictures would be nice but being on the Net does not help this very much. But not many of us has actually seen one and even how it being carried and operated (from loading to film development to printing) down to how to hanlde all those issues on darkroom, "enlarger"/contact print (UV?) etc.

Hope you can share the experience.

BILL3075
9-Oct-2010, 19:14
Congrats, Hugo!

Welcome to the 1620 Club !

Bill

Richard K.
9-Oct-2010, 19:34
Welcome to the 1620 Club !

Bill

Where and when does this club meet? How many members?:)

dsim
9-Oct-2010, 19:44
Congrats Hugo. Beautiful camera.

Dexter

Fred L
9-Oct-2010, 20:21
good lord this would eat my 8x10 for breakfast and still be hungry. beauty thoguh

Heroique
9-Oct-2010, 21:03
Hugo, that’s a gorgeous walnut pool table w/ pretty corner pockets.

At first, I thought it looked like an old-fashioned camera w/ cut corners!

“Pool?” Hugo replied, switching-on the air vents. “Pool?!? This is Air Hockey, baby! Best 2 out of 3!”

F-Liner
9-Oct-2010, 23:55
Fabulous, Hugo. That is definitely an 'ultimate' camera!!

Emil Schildt
10-Oct-2010, 04:13
I knew it - size does matter!

I have a camera with the same negative size - but that one looks SO much bigger than yours.... not easy to catty around...

Good to see a camera this size, that can actually be handeled...

But I agree - it is fascinating to see the world on that size of glass..

Congratulations!

jb7
10-Oct-2010, 04:21
That's a great size for a big camera-
with 14x17, and 12x20 available-
I'm surprised there aren't more of them-

Looks like it folds right down too, looks great-

Sirius Glass
10-Oct-2010, 07:00
Will we have to pay for watching you take this on a hike in the Sierra Nevadas? I want a front row seat!

Steve

BILL3075
10-Oct-2010, 10:43
Just wondering: how many ULFs out there shoot 1620? I know of three. Are there more? Please identify yourselves.

BILL

Monty McCutchen
10-Oct-2010, 12:58
I have a 20 x 24 with a 16 x 20 reducing back that I shoot for both wet plate collodion and Pt/Pd/Gumover

Hugo,

Your camera is beautiful. Your enthusiasm contagious. Good luck with your new endeavors.

Monty

Tri Tran
10-Oct-2010, 17:01
Hugo,
Congrats. Looks like mine just has a little sister. Can't want to see it. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it.

PViapiano
10-Oct-2010, 22:24
Beautiful, Hugo...congrats! Looking forward to seeing it up close.

toyotadesigner
12-Oct-2010, 07:12
Congratulations.
I am envious, really. It must be a very special feeling and experience to own AND use this camera.
But how in this world do you carry this huge camera? Do you have a case? What tripod do you use? Do you have a van or 4x4 to transport it?
Where can you purchase i.e. color slide film for this camera - or is it 'only' for b&w? Or maybe you have to feed it with 16x20 coated paper?

This camera really leaves me speechless... I always admired the Ebony cameras, but compared to yours they look like toy cameras.

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Oct-2010, 21:15
I hope to see it soon. I missed getting together with you and Tri to see it the other day. I was up in the redwoods with my current three... 8x10,11x14 and 8x20 for five perfect windless days in the Redwoods. Now after seeing the pictures I have to get busy and finish my Walnut 14x17.

Jim

Hugo Zhang
12-Oct-2010, 22:22
Congratulations.
I am envious, really. It must be a very special feeling and experience to own AND use this camera.
But how in this world do you carry this huge camera? Do you have a case? What tripod do you use? Do you have a van or 4x4 to transport it?
Where can you purchase i.e. color slide film for this camera - or is it 'only' for b&w? Or maybe you have to feed it with 16x20 coated paper?

This camera really leaves me speechless... I always admired the Ebony cameras, but compared to yours they look like toy cameras.

I bought a Pelican 1690 hard case and the case is over 30 lbs by itself! I wrap the camera in a sleeping bag and the case still has room for 3-4 holders, the reducing back and a few lenses. My little Honda's truck is just big enough for that case and I use a Ries A tripod.

Only B&W film and I will shoot both 16x20 and 14x17 sizes as some of my favorite lenses won't cover 16x20, many others do.

The sharpest lens I have, just from looking at the ground glass, is an Aero-Xenotar 460mm f/4.5 lens. It's a massive and heavy lens and I have to use a 7" lens board. Talking about shallow depth of field. I looked at my 14x17 screen with this lens this afternoon and my mind was blown away. I have never seen anything like that. :)

Jim,

We will get together sometime so you can expose some of your 14x17 x-ray films. I saw some of Tri's carbon transfer prints yesterday and I am at loss what to say. I will be your student someday. :)

Thanks for everybody!!!!

Fionnbharr
22-Oct-2010, 15:23
Hello,

Can I ask who built that magnificent camera?

Thanks,
Fionnbharr

Tri Tran
22-Oct-2010, 21:05
Dear Hugo,
Please replace those screws for a nicer plat head . That was a quick and dirty mounted to check the lens out . I can't wait to see the prints taken with that lens . Some day !

Fionnbharr, that's Chamonix camera.

Drew Bedo
23-Oct-2010, 04:40
Hugo: So nice! How can you bring yourself to actually take it out of doors and expose it to the weather ?. . .Even nice weather! Will you be printing in silver gelatin or alternative processes? Can you get a digital (GASP) scan of negs that large?

Regarding the use of x-ray film: I used to be able to get Nuclear Medicine film and Ultra-Sound film in 8x10. This was single side coated. I rated it at 200 and it went through an automatic processor in the clinic’s dark room. I understood that X-Ray film was double coated and sensitive to the phosphors in the X-Ray cassettes, so I never tried it. Are any clinics still using film for X-Rays?

bobpin
23-Oct-2010, 10:53
After two years waiting, my camera is finally here and I spend hours looking at upside down world around me through different lenses. This is my ultimate camera and how big the ground glass is and incredible all the details on it and it simply takes my breath away every time I look at it!

The widest lens I can use is 265mm f/18 lens which does not cover 16x20 at infinity, but good enough for 14x17 back. The longest lens I can use is a 75cm Apo-Skopar.

Here are a few pictures.

Hello Hugo,

Is your camera custom made to hold 7"x7" lens board? Any features are custom made to fit your purpose? I want to custom order one which can hold 9"x9" lens board. However my Beijing friend told me that Hass is now shooting in Tibet. Long time to wait him back...:(

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Oct-2010, 20:18
I bought a Pelican 1690 hard case and the case is over 30 lbs by itself! I wrap the camera in a sleeping bag and the case still has room for 3-4 holders, the reducing back and a few lenses. My little Honda's truck is just big enough for that case and I use a Ries A tripod.

Only B&W film and I will shoot both 16x20 and 14x17 sizes as some of my favorite lenses won't cover 16x20, many others do.

The sharpest lens I have, just from looking at the ground glass, is an Aero-Xenotar 460mm f/4.5 lens. It's a massive and heavy lens and I have to use a 7" lens board. Talking about shallow depth of field. I looked at my 14x17 screen with this lens this afternoon and my mind was blown away. I have never seen anything like that. :)

Jim,

We will get together sometime so you can expose some of your 14x17 x-ray films. I saw some of Tri's carbon transfer prints yesterday and I am at loss what to say. I will be your student someday. :)

Thanks for everybody!!!!

Hugo, I can't wait to see your camera and run some 14x17 x-ray film through it. I've got two workshops set up for November already and I need to get my camera done. I've also got several sheets of ULF film to develop so I can catch up to my best student so far. Tri's prints really shine. He has caught on real quick. Let me know when you are ready to take the plunge but remember there is no turning back! Just warning you in advance... Just ask Tri!

Jim

Curt
24-Oct-2010, 00:56
Is 16X20 Bergger film available and who offers it?

One note: if X Ray film had gone to 16X20 there would have been fewer repeat chest X Rays and easier long bone X Rays.

Tri Tran
24-Oct-2010, 19:15
Agreed with Jim. When you get there Hugo. Point is no return. 16x20 might not be big enough :) , and the key of this process is " Patience ".
I transfered 2 12x20 over the weekend , 2 20x24 tissue waiting to dry . I can't wait to print them .
Thanks Jim for the IT support and good luck with your workshops coming up. Hope we can get together sometime soon.

Hugo, I can't wait to see your camera and run some 14x17 x-ray film through it. I've got two workshops set up for November already and I need to get my camera done. I've also got several sheets of ULF film to develop so I can catch up to my best student so far. Tri's prints really shine. He has caught on real quick. Let me know when you are ready to take the plunge but remember there is no turning back! Just warning you in advance... Just ask Tri!

Jim