PDA

View Full Version : Who are your favorite repair techs?

sully75
8-Oct-2010, 05:23
Basically everything I have needs to be calibrated, adjusted, CLA's, whatever.

Specifically I'm looking for recommendations for a Leica M6 (not sure the light meter is working right and I think the viewfinder might need to be calibrated) and a Mamiya C330 (I'm getting a lot of empty frames). Good and reasonably priced would be good.

But I thought it might be a good idea (???) to make a post where people listed recommendations for other repair people? It would be helpful to me, at least.

Thanks
Paul

Fotoguy20d
8-Oct-2010, 06:32
Paul,

I like Carol Miller (Flutots) for shutters. I work on my graflex cameras myself (there's really not much to them)

I have a Leica III in need of help. This thread came up yesterday: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=636163#post636163

Dan

Richard Wasserman
8-Oct-2010, 06:54
Two of the best for Leica service are Don Goldberg– www.dagcamera.com, and Sherry Krauter– www.sherrykrauter.com.

I like Paul Ebel also, he works on many things, various cameras and lenses and can be reached at 651-335-8759. He has CLA'd several large format lenses for me.

And Bob Watkins– www.precisioncamera.com. He is the authorized Arca Swiss guy and also works on many other cameras. He fixed my Sinar Norma after someone hit it with their bicycle, knocking it to the ground and has serviced my Mamiya 7, and NIkon F2.

Steven Tribe
8-Oct-2010, 09:48
If the 330 is showing its age, I would have thought that a replacement was a better bet. Perhaps even going retro to the earlier models which last longer and don't have so much automatics with worn out mechanics. Then you can use your 55,65,80,105,135,180 and 250mm for another 100 years!

Bill Burk
9-Oct-2010, 21:02
For Leica, I can recommend Youxin Ye.

Daniel Stone
9-Oct-2010, 22:18
Carol Miller(Flutot), my favorite, hands down. She's so nice, and very fast. And very economical as well.

I take my repairs to her whenever I need something cla'd.

my 90's shutter needs a workover anyhow ;)

-Dan

barneynobles
10-Oct-2010, 07:08
For Linhof, Martin Arndt of Marflex Service, Havelock, NC. Wouldn't trust my Technika in the hands of anyone else, for tedious and exacting work.

jnantz
11-Oct-2010, 14:57
For Leica, I can recommend Youxin Ye.

me too, and he is right in Massachusetts.
everything else i usually take either to midstate camera repair
or zacks camera repair ( both in ri ) .

Dan Fromm
11-Oct-2010, 15:49
I sent work to Steve Grimes, now send work to his successors at SKGrimes. Adapters, including a gadget to couple a pair of Graphics front-to-back and a Graflex RB Ser. B body modified to attach to a Cambo standard. Also a number of aerial camera lenses to be put on boards; none of these has been straightforward.

I admire and respect Mrs. Miller, but since she and her family started having health problems have been reluctant to send her work. She charges much less to overhaul a Compound than anyone else, but when I've asked her to put one of mine in the queue and tell me when to send it it seems to sit at the back of the queue forever. I'm glad she has so much work, sorry she has little time for mine.

Frank Petronio
11-Oct-2010, 16:18
Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works in Chicago is the tops for Arca, Sinar, Noblex, and general high-end gear. http://precisioncameraworks.com/

Frank Marshman at Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA is tops for Graflex, Compurs, press cameras, Mamiyas, classic cameras.

Youxin is currently on vacation but I would send him any old Leica LTM cameras.

The newer Leica Ms and SLRs I would save for DAG or check the Rangefinder Forum for whomever is good but not as backed up as DAG.

Martin Ardnt for all things Linhof, Harry Fleenor for all things Rollei.

There are people who specialize in Olympus, Pentax, Konica, etc.... I am sure there are Nikon pros too, but Nikons rarely need service, you just use them up ;-)

Just Google these names. Most don't use email very reliably, and some are semi-retired so it is always good to have a second person on good terms.

Drew Bedo
12-Oct-2010, 06:37
Mike Hakeem at Professional Camera Repaire tskes care of my equipment in Houston.

Professional camera Repaire
4410 Richmond
Houston Texas

(713)621-3627

IanG
12-Oct-2010, 09:05
Black on White (http://www.bonwcameras.co.uk/)
105 Coldharbour Road
Bristol, Avon BS6 7SD, United Kingdom
0117 942 0434

They've repaired two TLR's and a couple of LF shutters, very fast and excellent service.

Ian

Jeff Bannow
2-Dec-2010, 09:10
Nothing but praise for:

Dave's Camera Repairs
Dave Easterwood
77 Cambridge Ct.
Chelsea, MI 48118

davescamera@earthlink.net
(734) 433-2640

He overhauled all my Hasselblad gear and did a great job. I've seen all makes of cameras, including large format, in his shop.

Sirius Glass
2-Dec-2010, 15:54
Bert Saunders for my Graflex and Graphic. He tells me how to adjust my cameras via email.

I like Carol Miller (Flutots) for lens shutters.

Steve

36cm2
2-Dec-2010, 16:29
If you've got something old or out of the ordinary Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain is awesome. I think he'll tackle pretty much any challenge. Be prepared for a conversation if you call him. Fixed my Perkeo last year and must have chatted with him for an hour or so. Nice guy, very good work.

Leo

Roger Thoms
2-Dec-2010, 17:44
Carol Miller at Flutot's if I'm not in hurry. Turn around is pretty good once your name comes up in the queue. Carol has a wait list so you don't sent your shutter in till she is ready to work on it.

SK Grimes if I'm in more of a hurry and for their specialized services. Always fast and professional plus offer a wide variety of services.

I have also used ITC Camera and they are also very good.

Not large format, but I just had Harry Fleenor at Oceanside Camera Repair overhaul my Rollei 35s and recalibrate the light meter for the silver oxide batteries and was very pleased with the service.

Roger

Two23
2-Dec-2010, 19:20
If you've got something old or out of the ordinary Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain is awesome. I think he'll tackle pretty much any challenge. Be prepared for a conversation if you call him. Fixed my Perkeo last year and must have chatted with him for an hour or so. Nice guy, very good work.

Leo

LOL! I just got back a 1915 Kodak Autographic Special I sent him. He did great work, and the guy really seems to know even the most obscure of lenses and cameras. The work he did on that 96 yr. old camera was first rate. Something newer should be a piece of cake for him.

Kent in SD

jonathan_lipkin
3-Dec-2010, 20:15
I used to take all my equipment to Lens and Repro in New York on 17th street - haven't been there in a while though. They did excellent work back in the day.

jnantz
4-Dec-2010, 05:54

Leo

i haven't sent him anything yet, but i know i will ... eventually.
i called him a few years ago when i was going to buy a medalist.
he is known for his 620/120 conversions. he told me the ins and outs of what
would need to be done, and how he did the first one on sort of a bet
when people suggested "it couldn't be done".

i have a lot of respect for people who are able to do "the impossible"
and who do it all the time.

john

myoptic
16-Dec-2010, 08:09
I have to add CamTech Photo (http://camtechphoto.com/) in Hamilton, Ontario. They did very nice work on my Voigtlander Avus lenses, and a wide angle Bausch and Lomb in woeful condition. He was actually working on a Zeiss Tenax 9x12 when I walked in yesterday. Good to know that there are people around who appreciate, and can work on, the oldies that I favour.

sully75
18-Jan-2011, 20:36
Any suggestions for a Mamiya C330?

Leigh
18-Jan-2011, 20:59
I used to take all my equipment to Lens and Repro in New York on 17th street - haven't been there in a while though. They did excellent work back in the day.
They're still in business http://www.lensandrepro.com/

I bought a tripod from them a couple of months ago.

Don't know about repair work.

- Leigh

grahamcase
7-Mar-2011, 22:14
I think this is all dependent on where you are. Everyone in Vancouver BC (really, I mean EVERYONE from students to amateurs, to pros to photographic artists) send our stuff to Horst Wessels. If it's mechanical, he can and will fix it. If there's even a hint of digital technology (Nikon F6, for example) it's out of his hands. Mostly he just doesn't like things that aren't 100% mechanical.

aduncanson
7-Mar-2011, 22:53
And Quality Light Metric in Hollywood for light meters. I have had them rehab a Weston Master V and Weston Ranger 9, and if my father-in-law ever finds his old Norwood, I'll send it there too.