PDA

View Full Version : X-Rite 810 Densitometer calibration using stouffer reflection/transmission

dng88
7-Oct-2010, 07:52
Got one but do not see the transmission film. The reflection one is also very old.

Should I get the 21/31 steps of stouffer reflection/transmission film, go to a local lab to check its V, R, G and B value and do the calculation. (Mine got figure from Stuoffer, can I use those figure ... I guess only for Visual).

If so, I note that the light is quite large compared with even the 21 step. Is that ok?

Most of the poster on this topic is 2005. I hope you can help?

Jim Noel
7-Oct-2010, 08:07
"If so, I note that the light is quite large compared with even the 21 step. Is that ok?"
This sounds like you are missing an insert with an appropriate sized hole, mine is 1 mm, in the center. You might try contacting X-Rite for a replacement.

dng88
9-Oct-2010, 05:22
is there any picture of a good and proper 810?

jeroldharter
9-Oct-2010, 06:55
This picture might help:

http://www.heihan.com/catalog/810_d.jpg

dng88
9-Oct-2010, 07:41
Thanks.

It is very good help and definitely its hole does not look like the one I have. It made sense to be that small. I guess mine is not a goner, as I measure using caliberated Stouffer it is not far off. Would try to see what I can do about it.

D. Bryant
9-Oct-2010, 08:46
Got one but do not see the transmission film. The reflection one is also very old.

Should I get the 21/31 steps of stouffer reflection/transmission film, go to a local lab to check its V, R, G and B value and do the calculation. (Mine got figure from Stuoffer, can I use those figure ... I guess only for Visual).

If so, I note that the light is quite large compared with even the 21 step. Is that ok?

Most of the poster on this topic is 2005. I hope you can help?

You need to purchase the calibration plaque from XRite to calibrate the densitometer correctly.

The reflection step tablet from Stoffers really won't do you much good.

Don Bryant

dng88
10-Oct-2010, 06:23
@Bryant I sent an message but it is in weekend. Wait for X-rite's returns.

I finally get a serious look on a bright light on the X-rite 810 denistometer and found that the large hole with a kind of strange "stamp" on the plastic might not be that important:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisngathk/5067831002/

The specific area is quite small. I guess it is 4mm. It is good enough size.

I did have a few Stouffer calibrated one and some from others lying around.

For transmission test, I use one from a calibrated 4x5 21 step by Stuffer. (I use the maximum density of 3.06 but I might another position another day.) All other calibrate one density is off by .04-.07. The only that it is hard to work is 21 step but very small one from RH Design (also from Stouffer but for the enlarger meter calibration). Even the 31 step is ok, just the lengh of the patch has to be a bit larger so that the light spot is on the negative but not shining through the character.

One question is how one measure the transmission negative. I guess it is emulsion up assuming the light come from below send to the top reading sensor, which I guess is in the top arm as the reflection one would cover the hole and anything below. There is a difference of .02 using the other side.

For reflection, I use the old X-rite reflection things come with the densitometer. It was off by .06 using the calibrate gray scale from Stuoffer.

Would test more but .0x seems ok. Fred's things all came through, my 2nd hand Palm 650, VM Fusion etc. all setup and all goes. I might just take it and start my BTZS test instead of further waiting.

Cheers!