PDA

View Full Version : which lens 90, 110, 115???

thomas dashuber
8-May-2002, 17:03
hi, i am new here. so hello to everybody from germany.

i have a toyo 45 a field cam and i have to buy a new lens, maybe a little wider then my 150mm symmar.

- the 90mm grandagon is too wide for my liking.

but what about the Rodenstock Grandagon 6,8/115? i could purchase one for rather cheap. is this lens any good? it is not a Grandagon "N"! i keep on reading that this lens is very bulky and heavy. is this true? and how will it perform on my rather small toyo field camera, which only has a lensboard of 80mm x 80mm.

and what about the Schneider Super-Angulon 121mm/f1:8??

i realy don't know and i don't want to buy the wrong thing.

here are some links, where i have seen these lenses: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1350348935 http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1351684972

thanx, thomas.

Per Volquartz
8-May-2002, 17:55
Way back at the beginning of serious photographic time Edward Weston purchased a lens for 5 bucks; it had to be stopped down to f128 and f256 to yield an acceptable image; yet he managed to create stunning photographic icons.

Without any doubt the 90mm Grandagon, the 115mm Grandagon, and the 121 and 120 Super Angulons are incredible lenses compared to what Weston had to work with. So is the new Super Symmar XL series.

Unless you want to shoot architectural images or do commercial photography (where it may important to impress clients with lens sizes) the smallest of the lenses will probably suit your needs best. In other words the 90mm Grandagon or the exceptional Super Symmar XL 110mm would be the top choices from my perspective...(totally different costs)

Kevin J. Kolosky
8-May-2002, 17:57
while I have not used the rodenstocks that you mention, I have in the past used the super angulon. But I am betting that as far as image quality goes, you would not be able to tell a difference between any of the lenses you mentioned because they are all very high quality lenses. That said, your question deals with very subjective issues that only you can decide upon yourself depending on your vision, and your willingness to haul around weight. the best thing to do would be to rent each of these lenses if possible, shoot with them a day or two, and make your evaluation that way.

Kevin

Walter Glover
8-May-2002, 18:27
Thomas,

I have used the Toyo 45AII and can assure you that the lighter in weight the lens is the easier it will be to use on this camera.

Why?

Firstly, the lens tilt is pivotted at the base and so more weight will result in greater leverage which in turn will require more secure tightening thereby creating the possibility of excessive wear on the hinge and lock.

Secondly, with regards the lens panels: there is no problem with the size of the panel, it will take a Copal 3 with no problem and is, after all, marginally larger than the Technika board.. Rather the problem is the clip at the top of the lens standard which secures the panel - the spring tension is too weak to support any great weight. I attempted to use an Apo-Symmar 300mm 1:5.6 in Copal 3 and the forward weight pulled the panel away from the plane of the standard which shifted the focus plane and allowed light to enter the camera from behind the panel.

I have had the 120mm Super-Angulon and the 115mm Grandagon; both are fine lenses but both are large and heavy. Currently I use the Super Symmar XL 110mm and absolutely love it. Size, weight, performance - it is well worth the price.

I hope that this is some assitance.

Walter Glover

Eugene
8-May-2002, 18:51
Thomas, a little wider than your 150, but still comfortable on the Toyo Field , would be a 120 Nikkor SW or a 120 wide angle by either of the German manufacturers. The glass elements are large, but the shutters are small Copal 0's. My Toyo 45AII has 110 x110 mm lensboards. My advice, shop for your lens at a reputable dealer, where you can try it before you buy it.

Kevin Crisp
8-May-2002, 19:20
Thomas: Unless you're planning on doing architectural photography, you might consider the Schneider APO Symmar 120. This isn't a super- angulon, so coverage is relatively limited, but for landscape work and general use movements can be used and I have yet to run out of image circle on mine on those kinds of subjects. It is very small (Copal 0 shutter) and light. It is very, very sharp. The later (multicoated) Symmar-S series is a great lens for the money. The earlier Symmar-S's are single coated. (If money is not object the 110 Schneider is a great lens.)

neil poulsen
8-May-2002, 20:39
I have the 121mm Super Angulon, and I like the results that I obtain. Very nice images. I suspect the 121mm will be the least expensive of the lenses discussed. I also suspect that, being multicoated, the other lenses will give an advantage in some circumstances. The 121mm is single-coated.