PDA

View Full Version : testing washed prints for fixer residue

rebecca_2713
8-May-2002, 03:35
3 washing questions: 1. I once came across a solution for testing washed dried prints for excess fixe r residue. You dropped a little on the print border and if it emerged darker tha n cream-coloured it indicated fixer contamination. Can anyone tell me the produc t name and supplier, or is it a simple chemical solution?

2. I looked through this site's archives and came across something called the HT -2 test for checking wash efficiency. Can anyone tell me what this is?

3. Does anyone use the Ilford archival washing sequence using Kodak Hypo Clearin g Agent instead of Ilford Wash-aid? The formulas are slightly different, Ilford' s seems to contain more chemicals designed to expel fixer from the fibres of the paper, so I am a little cautious about substituting it with Kodak's [far cheape r] Hypo Clearing Agent.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Don Sparks
8-May-2002, 05:45
Photographers' Formulary, Inc. (http://www.photoformulary.com/) sells the residual hypo test kit.

David F. Stein
8-May-2002, 09:26
How many of those selling archival fiber base photographic prints run these tests regulary, i.e. with EVERY batch of prints before and after sitting on those "non-hypo-laden" print screens. How many use Agfa Sistan? THAN

Ed Buffaloe
8-May-2002, 10:08
See my article on Archival Processing (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Archival/archival.html) for formulas for the various Kodak test solutions. HT-2 is the name of Kodak's hypo test solution.

I use the Ilford sequence with Kodak's Hypo Clearing Agent, but I use a longer wash than Ilford recommends. However, with the test solutions in the above article you can ascertain whether your wash is sufficient.

jnantz
8-May-2002, 15:09
hi rebecca

i do mostly habs/haer work, and my work is always tested by either the government. i always process blank sheets of film and blank sheets of paper that i test for hypo residue after each wash. i use sprint fixer and perma wash as a hypo clearing agent. even though there are times listed on the stock bottle of solution, i always wash with either an archival washer, or by making 20 water exchanges.

in one article i read years ago, kodak metioned that if one uses sea water (brine) it will greatly reduce final wash times. when i spoke with someone at kodak about this they mentioned that it was an "experimental proceedure" ... has anyone ever done this? it is probably because seawater is enriched with iodine and other minerals .. but i am not sure.

jnantz
8-May-2002, 16:48
hi rebecca

sorry for the typos - it should say "my work is always tested by the government" ..

for what its worth ... someone, maybe light impressions? used to sell markers .. you could touch the back of a print with them and they would tell you if there was any residual chemistry. i have never used them, but from what i remember they are used by conservation people, libraries &c and work well ...

rebecca_2713
14-May-2002, 01:02
thanks to all for your responses, I now have all the info I need.