PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Raining in Southern Utah!

TraceMon
6-Oct-2010, 11:24
Hi all!
I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster.
This is my third trip to Kanab, UT...my first trip with a 4x5. I had worked out what I thought was a pretty good shot list, mostly locations I've shot before w/digital, but the steady rain over the last 3 days has rendered most of the locations I had planned inaccessible, even after it stops, which it hasn't done yet. I'm here 'til Sunday AM, so I don't think I'm going to see any of the backcountry roads drying out before I leave.
Today I'm going to run the Kolob Terrace Road from Virgin to the end of the pavement and back just to get out shooting.
Any advice on locations within a couple of hours that would still be reachable in the slop?
So far I'm thinking:

Zion Plateau
Zion Canyon
North Rim GCNP
Coral Pink Sands SP

Any thoughts/suggestions? I have a show coming up in November and really want to get some of my LF 'scapes into the mix, especially given the amount of work and expense attempting to prepare for this trip.
Any help you good people can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Trace Voorhees

Juergen Sattler
6-Oct-2010, 15:31
Monument Valley is not far from where you are!

Drew Wiley
6-Oct-2010, 15:59
Why leave? Rain is a blessing, at least for color film. Just don't get stuck in slikrock
mud. It can turn from cement to grease when wet. Last time I was a Kolob Can on the
north end of Zion it was raining, as well as in the main Zion canyon. Wish I could get
those conditions every time, providing a slot canyon hike isn't being contemplated.

Sirius Glass
6-Oct-2010, 16:40
Ditto.

Rain brings out the color in red rock.

If you like the red rock country, get a four wheel drive vehicle, follow Tread Lightly's guidance, learn to four wheel and stick to legal roads. Without even getting into rock crawling, there are lots of places to photograph that you cannot hike to easily with LF equipment. Remember that Ed Weston kidded Ansel Adams that there was nothing worth photographing more than 300 feet from a road!

If you want four wheeling information, send me a PM.

Steve

TraceMon
6-Oct-2010, 17:37
Thanks for the great responses!
Juergen: Yes, Monument Valley is definitely on the list
Drew, Steve: Not thinking about leaving, just looking for alternatives to Old Paria, Toroweap and other locations where I might get my rental stuck to the doors. As soft as things are right now (I almost left a shoe in someone's gravel driveway two steps off 89 in downtown Kanab yesterday). I too have had great experiences shooting in this area after a rain, but no experience off-roading these parts after three solid days of rain.

Thanks again!

Jim Becia
7-Oct-2010, 06:00
Trace,

Zion is a great place to be in rainy weather, The Kolob section off of I-15 is easily accessible. Hike up Taylor Creek or any of the other canyons. The east side of Zion is also nice during the rain and color should be starting there sometime soon. The main canyon might have waterfalls flowing in several areas and the Emerald Pool area should be nice.

I just got back from almost 13 days of shooting in Colorado and all I saw were blue cloudless skies. I would have killed for some rain, snow, clouds, frost, anything to give a change of weather. Was not to be. Now I'm back in WI and the weather out west is unsettled and I am heading north this weekend and guess what - more clear blue skies in the forecast for the next five days. Be thankful for the chance to photograph in those conditions. Yes, it will make travel difficult or impossible on some of the back roads, but there is still an abundance to shoot in the area. Enjoy. Jim

Richard Raymond
7-Oct-2010, 07:04
Trace,
First, if you still want to work around Kanab go talk with the guy at the camera store downtown. He used to be available to take folks out into the back country for a $100 or so per day. His vehicle.
Second, if you are interested in working Zion take advantage of the high water. Shoot the river from the bridge area in the evening catching the clouds at sunset. Working the canyon requires taking the bus so it is what you can carry for equipment. Again, work the weeping walls and the river. On the plateau there are many areas along the paved road. The dirt road once the pavement ends should still be very good. It will take you past the reservoir and to the 14. There are a couple of fence lines and a large grove of aspens at the north end of the road.
You could always go over to Paria and get in line at the BLM for a day pass to the Wave or drive to the North Rim.
Ric

TraceMon
7-Oct-2010, 09:27
Thanks to all! I couldn't help but notice this strange orb in the sky while I was shooting on the Zion plateau this morning, and talking with Terry Alderman (at the camera shop in town) he helped me get a feel for what BC routes might dry out in time for me to get to...also might hire him to take my wimpy a** out to Tuweep (in his jeep) tomorrow or Saturday.
Anyway, less typing and more shooting while the rocks are still wet, but I wanted to thank y'all for helping out this LF newbie.
Cheers!