PDA

View Full Version : What film for fall colors

coops
6-Oct-2010, 06:06
I will be spending Oct. 16-20 on and around the Blue Ridge Pky north of Ashville and wanted to take some color film. I am looking a few good deals on expired Ektachrome vs on Ebay, but I don't use much color film so thought I would ask what you guys prefer to use.

vinny
6-Oct-2010, 06:27
Lots of haze and foggy mornings I those parts. Velvia with a warming filter or provia or e100g or........

domaz
6-Oct-2010, 07:59
All the expired Ektachrome I have gets really dull. Go with fresh Velvia. Why waste the best photography season on expired film at all? Save the expired stuff for lens tests.

Mark Stahlke
6-Oct-2010, 08:17
I've grown fond of E100VS for fall color. I like it more than Velvia, also a good choice. E100G is nice and it's not as contrasty as E100VS or Velvia.

Be sure to take a polarizer and a warming filter.

coops
6-Oct-2010, 12:00
Be sure to take a polarizer and a warming filter.

Thanks for reminding me. I have a 77mm polarizer that I can get a step ring for to fit the LF lenses. What warming filters do you like to use?

Eric Leppanen
6-Oct-2010, 12:07
If you scan your film, why not consider Portra 400NC for windy days? You can always punch up the colors in post processing if they appear too bland. The extra two stops of speed (some folks even push 400NC one stop for added speed, although I have never tried this) can be a big help in eliminating motion blur.

Bruce Watson
6-Oct-2010, 13:43
I will be spending Oct. 16-20 on and around the Blue Ridge Pky north of Ashville and wanted to take some color film. I am looking a few good deals on expired Ektachrome vs on Ebay, but I don't use much color film so thought I would ask what you guys prefer to use.

I'm in NC; the BRP is more or less home turf. I've shot a fair amount there, always with 160Portra and 400Portra. I really like the negative films. Especially the dynamic range and the reciprocity characteristics. I tend to shoot a fair amount in the forests and really like the results with color negative.