PDA

View Full Version : Century bellows repair

John Conway
5-Oct-2010, 16:17
I did a light test and found holes, mostly in the corners, and some thin spots here and there.I would say my camera is in fair condition. The most annoying thing on the camera are the tiny holes in the wood on top because someone used thumbtacks to hold the darkcloth.I would prefer to leave the camera original and have fun using it.I rubbed her down with some old english scratch cover and I must say, the old girl came up nicely. The bellows may need replacement though. Not sure if it is worth patching. Not sure how to patch it either.

Kevin Crisp
5-Oct-2010, 18:56
John: There are extensive prior discussions (use search function) on how to do this. There are many suggestions (neoprene wet suit cement, liquid plastic, liquid electrical tape, book binding tape, gaffers tape, etc.) all which probably work, at least for awhile. If the bellows is generally in good shape except for the corners, some of these might be good for years. Otherwise, replace it. The current iteration of Camera Bellows in the UK is highly thought of and Western Bellows in So. Cal. is good too.

Louis Pacilla
5-Oct-2010, 19:05
Hi John

I got to be honest, I wouldn't worry at all about pinholes on a studio camera. You will more than likely not have the camera & bright direct light so if you keep your dark cloth over the bellows. You'll be fine.

Peace
Louis