PDA

View Full Version : Best software for use with the Epson V700?

joshdaskew
5-Oct-2010, 05:29
Hi, I mainly use my Epson for scanning my 5x4 negatives as I am hopeless at reading what they actually look like. I generally use this as a rough proof and have my negs scanned with a flex tight but was just wondering what people use to get the best results out of their Epson V700? The difference is not that great and am looking at using this more in the future.. ok, thanks so much. Cheers Josh

Sascha Welter
5-Oct-2010, 07:14
VueScan, using the "Auto levels" setting for "Color balance". Then adjusting the levels sometimes a bit by hand, in order to not clip any highlights or shadows. Afterwards I open in Photoshop and adjust the curves in an "Adjustment Layer".

Michael Gordon
5-Oct-2010, 09:16
I use the provided Epson Scan software and find it just fine and very easy to use. All I need is an optimized scan, not bells and whistles. Epson Scan does exactly that. I prefer Photoshop for my bells and whistles.

I never recommend any AUTO settings in the scanner. Use it in Professional mode and you can get very nice scans, especially when using the aftermarket BetterScanning holder.

Thalmees
5-Oct-2010, 12:26
Uploaded the trial version of VueScan.
The output is Exc++ for B&W.

mdm
5-Oct-2010, 14:17
The trial version of VueScan will put $$$$ signs all over any file you try to save on your drive, untill you pay up.

Ben Syverson
5-Oct-2010, 14:30
I use Epson Scan and actually love it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3364074167_96ddf5a688_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bensyverson/3364074167/)

SocalAstro
7-Oct-2010, 11:08
+1 for Epson Scan software :-)

Sascha Welter
8-Oct-2010, 02:12
The trial version of VueScan will put $$$$ signs all over any file you try to save on your drive, untill you pay up.

Yes, but it still allows you to check if the software works for you. Given that it works with a lot of old scanners (lots of them "abandoned" by their makers), that's sometimes very valuable.

Robert Budding
8-Oct-2010, 05:56
I use the manufacturer's software for both my Epson and Nikon scanners. But I scan everything as a linear positive (gamma = 1) and make all inversions and color corrections using the CF Systems ColorPerfect Photoshop plug-in. More info here:

http://www.colorneg.com/warumcolorneg_sw.html?lang=en
http://www.colorneg.com/oldneg.html?lang=en

Rob Landry
19-Oct-2010, 18:31
Vuescan. It unlocks single-pass multisampling with the v700. Not a huge issue for negs but does make a difference with some images and I find it indispensable for dense transparencies. Also, Vuescan provides for direct control of the exposure with the v700. Most time, scanner software autoexposure works great but when it's fooled, it's nice to be able to dial in an exposure directly. Great for getting the histogram as far to the right as possible to eek out the most shadow detail. Again, probably less of an issue with negs but still a great tool when needed that the other software doesn't offer.

Frank Petronio
19-Oct-2010, 20:33
I have and use VueScan for my 35mm scanner but prefer Epson Scan for the Epson.

They all kind of suck interface-wise but at least they run, which is more than can be said for some of the other crapware out there.

Grrr

Ben Syverson
19-Oct-2010, 21:15
I'm with Frank... Whatever runs! Not as big a deal on the PC, but on the Mac, basically all scanner software is running in a compatibility mode that's roughly 10 years out of date.

neil poulsen
19-Oct-2010, 21:20
I have trouble using Epson Scan to get the correct color balance for color negatives. Silverfast AI has these neat settings for different manufacturers and brands of negatives (e.g. Portra, Agfa Optimum, NPS, etc.) that really help correct for the orange masking on color negatives. Silverfast is my preference for that reason.

At the same time, I don't use a lot of the other color balancing, sharpening, curves, etc., features of scanning software. I'll spif up the histogram with levels and then open the image in Photoshop to color balance and perform other editing functions.

I currently have the latest and greatest Silverfast Studio for my 4870. I paid extra so that, if I get either a 700 or 750 at sometime in the future, I get a full Studio upgrade.

Frank Petronio
20-Oct-2010, 06:44
Philosophically you have to decide whether you're going to try to optimize the file in the scanning phase by making all your gross adjustments using the scanning software - color, curves, white and black points, etc. OR whether you just want to capture as much info as possible - a flat looking file usually - in an attempt to make a "RAW" file.

VueScan is best at getting you a good RAW file, and given the awkward stupidity of the Minolta and Nikon scanning software, it is a good alternative for small format film scanners like CoolScans and DualScans.

But I think when it is possible to make adjustments in the prescan phase it makes more sense to get the gross moves done when you scan, and do the subtle moves in Photoshop.

The Epson software isn't ideal but it does allow you to set black, whites, and greys as a starting point, so you're getting something a little closer to work with in Photoshop. I wish the EpsonScan software was a little better, especially with its previews, but it is still much better than NikonScan or the Minolta software.

tbeaman
20-Oct-2010, 20:10
That's interesting, Frank. I'm the opposite. I actually prefer the Minolta software for my Scan Elite II, but that's mainly because it does a better job with ICE, and all I'm after is a linear scan. The "RAW" workflow appeals to me the most, and I quite like the ColorPerfect photoshop plug-in even if it has an interface that is far worse than any scanner software's.

For the same workflow reason, I prefer using Vuescan with the Epson. Getting "RAW" scans with Epson Scan is more difficult, but I intend to experiment some more. For one thing, Vuescan won't implement ICE with reflective scans and spotting instant print scans is a pain, especially for digital enlargement. I intend to enlarge a Type 59 print to 16x20 soon and it's amazing how much dust shows up when you're looking that close. There's just no fine resolution in the image to mask the teensy weensy bits.

nerissa22
29-Oct-2010, 22:56
Epson Perfection V700 scanner digital film and photo
scanner is the Best Software...

edtog
30-Oct-2010, 00:35
Vuescan to get a RAW file and then I use Colorneg to colour correct. Never really got on with the Vuescan colour balance.
Colorneg means you don't have to do a lock film base which was a problem using 5x4.

Andrzej Maciejewski
31-Oct-2010, 05:19
I have done some tests on 8x10 transp scans with Epson software and Silverfast.
Silverfast AI works much better for me.

You might have another problem with 5x7. Fresnel rings all over if you simply place your neg on glass. I bought 1/8" aluminum sheet and cut a holder for 8x10. I tape the film on edges to that frame and it hangs slightly above the glass. The depth of filed of that scanner is definitely enough for getting your scans sharp. When cutting the frame you have to make sure that it has the same shape as other holders that come with scanner. The top part with a little cut out is very important - that is where the scanner reads the white for reference - make sure nothing gets in the way there - like a piece of tape or whatever.

Good luck.

Gordon Wood
7-Nov-2010, 15:39
I was going to start a new thread, but this one seems to address my concerns.
I'm new to 4x5 photography, but have worked a fair amount with MF and 35mm. I have the Epson V700 Perfection, and must say that across the board, I'm quite disappointed.
Even on 4x5's, when I look at the results (scanning in RGB at 2400 dpi in Professional Mode w/Epson Scan software) at 100%, they look soft. I like the 4x5 holders that came with it because they seem to hold the film nice and flat (can't say the same for the other holders), and I've played with the height adjusters, but the results don't hold a candle to the original neg. when examined with a loupe.
Others on this thread seem to have good luck, but I've even had my MF scans rejected by Alamy for being too soft.
Am I expecting too much, or should I be looking at drum scans?
Thanks
Gordon

Brian Ellis
7-Nov-2010, 20:40
Despite what some here claim to be the "best," there really is no universal "best." If there was everyone would use that software and the rest would disappear.

There are three main software sources for scanning with an Epson 700, the one that comes with the printer, Vuescan, and Silverfast. Which you use is mostly a matter of personal preference, you should be able to obtain acceptable results with all of them. I've used all three, Vuescan and Silverfast a whole lot, much less time with the Epson software. Of the three I preferred Silverfast, I thought it had more options and gave a greater degree of control over the output than the other two. However, it's a complex program that isn't very intuitive to use (neither is Vuescan IMHO) so there's a fairly long learning curve with it. You may not find the extra options and controls worth the time it takes to learn to use them.

Silverfast's support was generally very good and there are a whole bunch of video tutorials that come with the software. Vuescan's support varied. Sometimes the guy who sells it responded to my email questions, sometimes he didn't, and I don't remember any information about using it other than the basic instructions. I never needed Epson support.

Another factor to consider is cost. Of course there's no additional cost for the Epson software. The different versions of Silverfast are fairly expensive. Vuescan costs less than the version of Silverfast I used (Ai) and also had the advantage IIRC of being transferable from one scanner brand or model to another without paying again. Silverfast is specific to the scanner brand and model for which you buy it. If you later upgrade for example and buy a different model or brand you have to buy it again for the new scanner. But since Epson hasn't introduced a new model prosumer scanner since the 700/750 about seven years ago upgrading may not be a major concern.

Sascha Welter
8-Nov-2010, 04:17
I was going to start a new thread, but this one seems to address my concerns.

There are lots of posts discussing the merits of various scanners. This one here is about scan software, IMHO not the same thing.

I'm new to 4x5 photography, but have worked a fair amount with MF and 35mm. I have the Epson V700 Perfection, and must say that across the board, I'm quite disappointed.
Even on 4x5's, when I look at the results (scanning in RGB at 2400 dpi in Professional Mode w/Epson Scan software) at 100%, they look soft. I like the 4x5 holders that came with it because they seem to hold the film nice and flat (can't say the same for the other holders), and I've played with the height adjusters, but the results don't hold a candle to the original neg. when examined with a loupe.
Others on this thread seem to have good luck, but I've even had my MF scans rejected by Alamy for being too soft.
Am I expecting too much, or should I be looking at drum scans?
Gordon

Scan files are always an intermediate product. No matter which scan software you use, they always need post-processing. In fact, a good scan almost always looks soft, it just means that most of the information in the film has made it into the digital file. You'll need to fix up the "curves" in your image manipulation program of choice and likely sharpen the image a bit too. Usually due to the scan options introducing softness, I've learned in school that you should always sharpen scans at least a little bit. When downsizing images a lot (e.g. for the web) I sometimes don't see a difference.

Apart from that, those Epsons are neither dedicated film scanners nor drum scanners. Their optics are not up to *that* standard, but for most stuff they are good enough.