PDA

View Full Version : Am I just being suspicious or just plain ignorant?

Steven Tribe
4-Oct-2010, 16:11
E**y 220677860852 is described as a EA meniscus landscape lens of 11" which has had its aperture removed and replaced by a "modern shutter" in front. This seems like a good idea - I experiment all the time with meniscus and mounts. Some of my first attempts look a lot like this lens.

But I have a few problems with this listing ( which may be due to my ignorance!).

- The mounting of the rear (only) lens is well back into the barrel compared with all other landscape meniscus lenses I have seen.
- This rear lens is mounted in some kind of alloy rim - the kind of which I have never seen on a lens mount of this age (EA was given up by Anthony quite early).
- The efl is quite low for a lens of this size.
- The general ratio of the length to the width is too high for a landscape design. Mine are all around 1:1 or less.

Steven Tribe
5-Oct-2010, 02:52
And here is another recently listed/completed item. Can anyone identify it? It could very easily become a rare pill box meniscus landscape.

Emil Schildt
5-Oct-2010, 03:22
E**y 220677860852 is described as a EA meniscus landscape lens of 11" which has had its aperture removed and replaced by a "modern shutter" in front. This seems like a good idea - I experiment all the time with meniscus and mounts. Some of my first attempts look a lot like this lens.

But I have a few problems with this listing ( which may be due to my ignorance!).

- The mounting of the rear (only) lens is well back into the barrel compared with all other landscape meniscus lenses I have seen.
- This rear lens is mounted in some kind of alloy rim - the kind of which I have never seen on a lens mount of this age (EA was given up by Anthony quite early).
- The efl is quite low for a lens of this size.
- The general ratio of the length to the width is too high for a landscape design. Mine are all around 1:1 or less.

Steven - I have the same experience as you, when talking about landscape lenses.
BUT what if it is not a landscape lens?

Garret has an image (which I am "borrowing - hope he is ok with that) of an achromatic portrait lens, made by Taylor, Taylor and Hobson.

That is much longer looking than the "normal" landscape lens (?)

Looking foreward to see what it can do..

cowanw
5-Oct-2010, 04:07
Garret has an image (which I am "borrowing - hope he is ok with that) of an achromatic portrait lens, made by Taylor, Taylor and Hobson.

That is much longer looking than the "normal" landscape lens (?)

Looking foreward to see what it can do..

I have a Rapid view (not rapid view portrait) which looks exactly like that. It is f11 but the shade and shutter screw off leaving an f7 ish (? 7.5) bare lens
Regards
Bill

Steven Tribe
5-Oct-2010, 05:37
I agree that the ratio (length/breadth) is more than 1:1 on Garret's illustration. But I would hazard a guess that the lens is very close to the rear. There is no sign of the iris ring or slot in the listing photo's which would elongate the original barrel's appearance.

Now I am no expert in EA/Anthony products but I believe they made quite a lot of projection petzvals with the EA mark and nothing else. If the original lenses were unserviceable then someone might to tempted to create a - now very popular - landscape meniscus. But I am certainly not passing judgement on this particular listing which probably is just atypical in proportions, materials and mounting of the lens for a landscape meniscus!

Another candidate for "making" a landscape meniscus is 1/2 of a RR. I enclose one of my own - which was bought as a 1/2 RR.

goamules
5-Oct-2010, 06:51
...Garret has an image (which I am "borrowing - hope he is ok with that) of an achromatic portrait lens, made by Taylor, Taylor and Hobson...

Sure, you can use my picture, because I believe you bought the lens right?! (But don't worry, I have another).

Bill, yes the TTH F11 "Rapid View" is exactly the same glass as the F7 "Rapid View Portrait" of considerable fame. It just has a tighter aperture. Just unscrew the barrel, make another barrel out of black cardboard or whatever, so that you can shoot it "wide open". These menisci (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=64954)can be great soft focus lenses.

On the original lens, I have no idea what this thing was, or has become. He even lists it has "significant cleaning marks" or something. Hmmmm....I guess the price goes up if it's A) a common landscape lens, B) missing parts, C) no flange, D) damaged glass....

cowanw
6-Oct-2010, 15:40
Bill, yes the TTH F11 "Rapid View" is exactly the same glass as the F7 "Rapid View Portrait" of considerable fame. It just has a tighter aperture. Just unscrew the barrel, make another barrel out of black cardboard or whatever, so that you can shoot it "wide open". These menisci (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=64954)can be great soft focus lenses.

Well you just made my week!
Regards
Bill