PDA

View Full Version : Gandolfi Traditional 8x10

Ian_3049
7-May-2002, 14:52
If anyone has experience of this camera I would be interested to hear their views.

Bill_1856
7-May-2002, 21:27
For a few weeks I had a half-plate (nearly 5x7) Traditional Gandolfi, with additional 4x5 back. It was magnificant in design, construction, and friendliness of the makers. If I lived in UK (which you apparently do) I'd buy another one in an instant. In fact, come to think of it, it's probably what I'll give myself for my 70th birthday.

Stephen Vaughan
8-May-2002, 05:31
I use a Gandolfi Traditional 10x8 which I bought second hand about a year ago (moving up from 5x4).

It is a wonderful camera. I use it for landscape photography - personal work - and it already feels like a reliable friend.

What are the things you would most like to know about using the camera?

let me know and I will try to elaborate..........

Ole Tjugen
24-Mar-2007, 14:50
Resurrecting an old thread here, because I've just bought a beautiful second-hand Gandolfi Traditional 8x10" with 8x10" and 5x4" backs, and a Gandolfi Minor tripod.

I don't have much experience with 8x10" if I don't count the 18x24cm plate camera, but I do have experience with a 5x7" Gandolfi Traditional. Soon after I bought the 5x7" I sold my Technika 13x18cm, and the main difference to me is weight. the stability and reliability of the Gandolfi is fully on a level with the Technika!

So I'm hoping I'll be just as happy with the 8x10" version. :)

BTW, it looks like I now have a spare 13x18cm plate camera with iris mount lensboard, and an elderly Gandolfi Minor Tripod. Yes, I have one already... ;)

Ash
24-Mar-2007, 14:58
Sorry Ole did I just hear you say you had an old camera with an Iris lens mount going spare? Oh dear you'll have to pm me your asking price :D

Ole Tjugen
24-Mar-2007, 15:09
Correction - the "spare plate camera" is 18x24cm, not 13x18cm. It comes with one lens board with universal iris mount (about 9cm opening), five book-style double plate holders, and a few (can't remember how many) film sheath inserts for 18x24cm. And format reducing inserts from 18x24 - 13x18 - 10x15 or 9x12cm.

Ash
24-Mar-2007, 15:18
How many iris mounts do you have? I remember seeing at least two images of your cameras, but I'm not sure if they were both the same one!

To be honest all of your cameras I've seen are beauties, but it's the iris mount I need more than another camera :(

Ole Tjugen
24-Mar-2007, 17:08
How many iris mounts - - eh...

There's that one, the one on the 13x18, the one on the 24x30, the one on the Speed Graphic (a small one), and the one I'll be using on the Gandolfi 8x10". That makes five.

A year or two ago I kept coming across these, and bought the ones I could get for a reasonable price. That time seems to be over, although they still show up now and then. I bought two of them with camera, BTW - with the 13x18 and the 24x30. Both were too nice to dismantle. :)

Ash
25-Mar-2007, 00:32
Well unfortunately the one that sold here for $175 didn't seem that reasonably priced, but still sold. If you did fancy removing the iris mount from the camera you may now sell, then I'd be interested in a price.

Of course. I can't really spend any money until I've paid for the camera from Simon, petrol for a 500mile car trip (and bribed the person taking me), and repaid the £200 I owe my father.

Currently I'm only getting work every other week for two days! :eek:

So hey, maybe you'll have decided to sell an iris mount (or maybe one will come on the market) cheap by then!

Got any photo's of this Gandolfi though? Is it meeting all expectations? :)

Rob_5419
25-Mar-2007, 12:17
Resurrecting an old thread here, because I've just bought a beautiful second-hand Gandolfi Traditional 8x10" with 8x10" and 5x4" backs, and a Gandolfi Minor tripod.

I don't have much experience with 8x10" if I don't count the 18x24cm plate camera, but I do have experience with a 5x7" Gandolfi Traditional. Soon after I bought the 5x7" I sold my Technika 13x18cm, and the main difference to me is weight. the stability and reliability of the Gandolfi is fully on a level with the Technika!

So I'm hoping I'll be just as happy with the 8x10" version. :)

BTW, it looks like I now have a spare 13x18cm plate camera with iris mount lensboard, and an elderly Gandolfi Minor Tripod. Yes, I have one already... ;)

Congralations Ole. That's a very nice camera which should bring you years of satisfaction if you decide to use it (the seller looks like he had it on display).

The mahogany wood versions are my favourites. I'd agree that the Gandolfi is incredibly stable despite it's wood construction. Having used a flimsier Wista, I was adamant I wouldn't return to a wooden view camera, however the half-plate Gandolfi I'm now using has surprised me. Still looking for a whole plate Gandolfi like yours (no need for 8x10" though)....at this rate, you'll have a Gandolfi Appreciation Forum for yusers (G.A.F.F.Y) up and running.

Ole Tjugen
25-Mar-2007, 13:18
I guess you found it, Rob - it's http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120097097350&rd=1&rd=1

I'm sure it will pick up a few scratches soon, it's certainly not going on display! Oh - and I'll start with cutting a BIG hole in that pristine lens board to mount the largest iris lens mount I can get to fit on it. One that's big enough to mount a 300/5.6 Symmar or a 121/8 Super Angulon without undoing the rear cell. :)

Rob_5419
25-Mar-2007, 14:12
Hi Ole,

I'd been tracking that one for some time. The seller tried selling it for £1,400 initially with zero bids and the relisted it for £1,350.

8"x10" is just way too much for me nowadays. The huge cost difference between whole plate & 8x10" also doesn't sway me back, although that is a remarkably good bargain.

The Gandolfi guys based in the south coast of England will cut and drill a board for you if required. Your lensboards are slightly larger than mine as well.

I have a 14" Cooke Apotal Process lens (don't laugh) mounted unsteadily on my Gandolfi at the moment. I quite like the tele view so your 300mm Symmar should be fun. Have you ever tried a 360mm Apo-ronar on 8x10" with its huge covering power?

Ole Tjugen
25-Mar-2007, 17:18
I'm aware of Gandolfi's continued existence, althoug I'm under the impression that it's the Gandolfi guy, not "guys"!

I don't have a 360mm Apo-Ronar - only a 480mm one. And a 355 G-Claron, which I've even used on 4x5". I've also used a 640mm Aplanat on 24x30cm, and that's getting long even on that format!

In the other direction I find myself using really really wide lenses more often, so I won't be surprised if the 121mm SA gets most use on the 8x10". I've also used a 150mm WA Aplanat on 24x30cm, and a 210mm Angulon on 30x40cm. :)

Pity that even the Gandolfi doesn't have enough bellows for the 840mm lens... :D

Rob_5419
25-Mar-2007, 21:16
That's a good point. Ed is the only guy there.

Must be something to do with the website giving the presence of a lot more people in the company through the generations.

That's a great selection of lenses you have there. I see there's another 8x10" Gandolfi with lens going on auction (not as nice condition as yours though and a bit more expensive).