PDA

View Full Version : My new Century7 studio camera

John Conway
2-Oct-2010, 21:11
Hello,I am new on the forum and looking forward to getting back into large format photography.Today I went and picked up my Century 7 studio camera with stand.I have been wanting one of these for a long time,she is in nice shape.I do need help as far as the back.I believe it's the original,with the little circle and # 7 on it, and the sliding feature but the ground glass is missing.I don't understand what the function of the sliding back is,since the various positions put the opening off center.The set came with a Wollensak anastigmat 6.3, which I assume is similar to an Ektar.The lense leaves a lot to be desired but it may turn out ok.She needs a good cleaning and I will check the bellows.Thanks.JC

Ben Syverson
2-Oct-2010, 21:24
Congrats, John. These studio cameras are still the best way to take portraits. If you want to shoot color, my advice is to buy a lot of film right now!

eddie
3-Oct-2010, 03:56
hey john,

enjoy your camera. where are you located?

there is an insert(s) that go in behind the GG. this allows for half frame shooting on various formats. most are missing. see the bellow photo.

eddie

John Conway
3-Oct-2010, 08:34
Hello Eddie, it looks like everything is there except the glass and the frame.In other words,nowhere to put the film holder.At this point I am deciding what format I want to use with this camera.Several years ago I used 4x5 and 8x10. I think I might even consider 5x7.In a little while I'll get some pictures up of the camera.

John Conway
3-Oct-2010, 08:54
Ok,here she is.

http://i53.tinypic.com/103sw8x.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2mhzuyw.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/6icmc6.jpg

eddie
3-Oct-2010, 09:00
yup. you need a spring back...with that there should be a ground glass

John Conway
3-Oct-2010, 11:05
Thanks eddie.I will have to start looking for a back.

Steven Tribe
3-Oct-2010, 11:12
One thing I noted with mine is that the big central clip/spring at the top, which holds the back on, is a weak point. Mine was very "relaxed" and needed adjustment before it held up to the weight of the back. Best to check before you mount a GG back!

John Conway
3-Oct-2010, 13:16
I was wondering,about my spring back,if the fit is standard or do I have to get a back for this Century sliding back.

eddie
3-Oct-2010, 14:53
I was wondering,about my spring back,if the fit is standard or do I have to get a back for this Century sliding back.

the studio spring backs are different than the kodak 2D backs and the like.

John Conway
3-Oct-2010, 15:23
Any recommendations as to where I might find a back would be helpful.I used to deal with a few places,Midwest photo comes to mind,and there was a place on 18th street in Manhattan where I bought some lenses but I can't remember the name.Anyway,most of the day was spent cleaning the Century,and she looks good.

Steven Tribe
4-Oct-2010, 13:34
I think you have to measure up the back and rebate. It is unlikely that a suitable back will have "suitable for Century Studio cameras" stamped on it. Mine came without an back (just a 5x7) but out of 3 8x10 backs I have hanging around one fitted (after a bit of sand papering).
Whilst on the subject of Century backs, I assume that the front rebate with the black painted catches, is to support some masking system for making 4x10" etc? It seems a long distance from the film plane though?

John Conway
4-Oct-2010, 13:59
Yeah,I'll tell you man,this sliding back has me confused.I called The Lens And Repo shop on 17th street in NYC and asked jeffrey about it and he told me to bring it in and he should have something that will fit.I was leaning toward 8x10 with this camera,and that is the format I think I want to work with.I have never worked in 5x7 though,and that format is tempting.I also have a full plate Anthony studio camera that I plan on working with wet plate,if I ever get around to learning how.I got lazy with digital,so I have to get back into the groove.