PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive camera strap

Tony Lakin
2-Oct-2010, 04:07
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HASSELBLAD-WIDE-STRAP-503-501-SWC-SWC-M-903SWC-905-NEW-/170547808309?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item27b5710835

:eek:

bobwysiwyg
2-Oct-2010, 04:43
I'm sure it is the inclusion of the "inspection card" that drives the value. :p

Walter Calahan
2-Oct-2010, 05:33
Too funny.

Darin Boville
2-Oct-2010, 05:57
I don't know....a lot of folks around here don't hesitate to pay $50 for a cable release, insisting it is so much better than the $5 ones...

I used to own this strap, although I can't recall if I paid anything near that price. Aside from being well made with no giant "Hasselblad" logo in four inch letters, it has those nifty metal quick release gizmos at the end which fit (and locked) over the lugs on the body. Back in the day when carrying five grand around your neck was considered an unusual and risky thing, having total confidence in your strap was worth something...

--Darin

Sirius Glass
2-Oct-2010, 06:12
I paid $15 for the same thing a Bel Air Camera in Los Angeles.

Frank Petronio
2-Oct-2010, 06:12
http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/index.htm

John Jarosz
2-Oct-2010, 06:30
KEH usually sells them for around $20 - $25.

Michael Cienfuegos
2-Oct-2010, 06:56
Makes Luigi's stuff look inexpensive. :o

lenser
2-Oct-2010, 07:12
Interesting that this guy is allegedly located in Arizona, but when you open his other items, they are all priced in pounds. Something doesn't add up.

Frank, why am I not surprised that the straps you show look like your models should wear them in some of your more extreme images. I love it!!

Tony Lakin
2-Oct-2010, 07:17
Interesting that this guy is allegedly located in Arizona, but when you open his other items, they are all priced in pounds. Something doesn't add up.

Frank, why am I not surprised that the straps you show look like your models should wear them in some of your more extreme images. I love it!!

The reason the prices are in pounds sterling is because the items are available on Ebay.co.uk which is where I copied the link from and as you are viewing Ebay UK all the items prices will be in £s

Sirius Glass
2-Oct-2010, 12:23
It says, "No messages", but this morning I sent:

Dear marcmiller29,

If you are going to put up absurd prices, at least follow the eBay standard of adding "rare", "hard to find" and the eBay classic "I do not know much about photography".

Does someone have some popcorn to eat while we watch for his reaction? :D

Steve

Darin Boville
2-Oct-2010, 12:59
It says, "No messages", but this morning I sent:

Dear marcmiller29,

If you are going to put up absurd prices...

Steve

Not so absurd after all. Check the search listings on E-bay. The only other new, in box Hasselblad strap I saw was a completed auction. Sold with "Buy it now" for $99. If I had the strap I'd start at $150, too, just to see how high the market would go.

Did I mention it *is* a nice strap? :)

--Darin

Ramiro Elena
2-Oct-2010, 13:39
I have bought from him, didn't have a problem. And I do too have this same strap with the original box which cost me around 15-25 euros.

Tony Lakin
2-Oct-2010, 14:08
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HASSELBLAD-1-5-NECK-STRAP-500CM-501CM-503CW-203FE-/270643925987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f03a293e3

:D

Ash
2-Oct-2010, 14:21
I chucked two of those away once

Sirius Glass
2-Oct-2010, 15:24
I have bought from him, didn't have a problem. And I do too have this same strap with the original box which cost me around 15-25 euros.

As I said I bought one two years ago that was new and in the package for $15US. If you will exchange Euros for Dollars at parity with me, please let me know. :D

Steve

John Whitley
2-Oct-2010, 16:08
http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/index.htm

Hah! That silk camera strap from A&A was the trigger for a sequence of events that has culminated in my being the organizer for the 2010 Seattle Kumihimo Workshop (http://thetangledwarp.com/post/948763552/2010workshop). "Ooh, that's neat. What's this Kumihimo thing? <google> <falls down rabbit hole>"

Sometimes I think autodidactism is a disease. ;)

Richard Mahoney
2-Oct-2010, 19:53
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HASSELBLAD-WIDE-STRAP-503-501-SWC-SWC-M-903SWC-905-NEW-/170547808309?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item27b5710835

:eek:

At the other end of the market ... my local camera store has a big cardboard box full of used straps out the back. All one has to do is ask for it, take it into a quiet corner and start searching. It's well worth the effort -- and shame of it all ;) Chances are that one will leave with a couple of splendid straps for less than 10 dollars (NZ). I'm sure that any dealer who has been around for a while must have a pile somewhere.

Best, Richard

Brian Ellis
2-Oct-2010, 20:14
At the other end of the market ... my local camera store has a big cardboard box full of used straps out the back. All one has to do is ask for it, take it into a quiet corner and start searching. It's well worth the effort -- and shame of it all ;) Chances are that one will leave with a couple of splendid straps for less than 10 dollars (NZ). I'm sure that any dealer who has been around for a while must have a pile somewhere.

Best, Richard

Hope this isn't a stupid question but why would a camera store have a lot of used straps? Do people leave their straps on cameras that they trade in and then the camera store takes them off rather than selling them with the cameras?

Darin Boville
2-Oct-2010, 20:15
Hope this isn't a stupid question but why would a camera store have a lot of used straps? Do people leave their straps on cameras that they trade in and then the camera store takes them off rather than selling them with the cameras?

Used cameras. Trade ins. Get rid of the ugly straps, other junk. Why throw away? Put in a box and sell them someday for a buck or two.

--Darin

Sirius Glass
2-Oct-2010, 20:25

Yes. The straps get in the way of the used camera bodies. Customers do not want to be bothered with the straps when they are handling several cameras. If someone trades in say a camera, three lenses, a strap, film backs and cases, everything gets parted out, rarely sold as a set [unless it is unusual equipment].

I have seen used Hasselblad straps both from used cameras and from the rental departments at more than one store. Usually these straps show little if not wear. If there is more wear, the stores give the strap to the student who is buying a used camera.