PDA

View Full Version : S-claron 9/355 ??

JDS
1-Oct-2010, 15:36
Hello all. I am new to this forum and to LF photography. I have an S-Claron, 9/355 lens I received from an estate. In trying to research it, all I discover is G-Claron in this size. Can someone shed some light on what I have and is it the same as a G. Pictures are attached. Any info as to it's usage, history, popularity, and value would be appreciated. Thanks, John.

Oren Grad
1-Oct-2010, 15:47
Seven and a half years since the last sighting of this lens:

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/004RAa

JDS
1-Oct-2010, 16:25
Serial #'s match up!!!

Dan Fromm
1-Oct-2010, 16:35
Hmm. If it were from Zeiss, the S- prefix would stand for Spezial and the lens would have been designed for a special application. S-Biogon, S-Distagon, S-Planar, S-Tessar, mainly for use a near distances. Some S-Planars are stepper lenses for chip manufacturer, they're not all photographic objectives.

But Schneider ain't Zeiss

Paul Ewins
1-Oct-2010, 16:51
The middle one of a batch of 3 produced on Jan 29, 1969. I searched the lists (Hartmut Thiele's Grosses Fabrikationsbuch, S-K band II) for a few years either side and couldn't find any other reference so it was either a special order or a pre-production test run of a lens that never made it into production. There was a similar occurrence in 1971 with two examples of a 315/9 V-A Claron.

There was a batch of three 355/9 G-Clarons the day before and that seems to be the first time that particular focal length appears so maybe Schneider were trying a couple of different options and decided to stick with the G-Claron design.

Jim Galli
1-Oct-2010, 20:40
Can't help but wonder if it isn't an Artar type like the Repro Claron. I'm also curious if the barrel is size 2 like the rare 355 Ronar dialyt or the more normal size 3 like the Compound shuttered 355 G's. Are the threads where the lens tightens into the barrel 50mm or 56mm?

JDS
2-Oct-2010, 13:28
The threads that attach the lens to the barrel are 46mm.

Ernest Purdum
9-Oct-2010, 10:27
If you close the diaphragm, and look at reflections in the lens from a single light, what do you see?

Dr Klaus Schmitt
9-Oct-2010, 15:34
on ebay now....

JDS
11-Oct-2010, 21:54
If you close the diaphragm, and look at reflections in the lens from a single light, what do you see?

Not sure. What am I looking for?

Ernest Purdum
12-Oct-2010, 09:20
Jim Galli suggests the lens might be an Artar type. If so, you will see four strong images of the light. (Diaphragm closed, remember.) If like a "G" Claron, you will see only two.

Dan Fromm
12-Oct-2010, 09:44
Ernest, a dagor type G-Claron will have two bright and two faint reflections in each cell. Two air-glass interfaces, two glass-cement-glass. A plasmat type G-Claron will have four bright and one faint reflections. The faint reflections are often hard to see.

JDS
12-Oct-2010, 18:21
I see 2 sets of double images. Or, I guess, four images total.