PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Symmars...

numnutz
1-Oct-2010, 07:07
I have a 5.6 210mm Symmar with bad glass (separation and scratches) but a good shutter and a Symmar 5.6 180mm with good glass but a bad shutter. Both are convertible lenses and both lenses are in Synchro Compur shutters with twin aperture scales. Can I just swap the glass and the aperture scales in order to make a usable combination? There doesn't seem to be any spacers in either lens.

Also one of the shutters, fortunately the bad one, seemingly has a retaining ring that seems to be seized solid - can anyone give me any advice as to how to remove it.

thanks in advance

nn :)

john wilton
1-Oct-2010, 09:08
one of the shutters, fortunately the bad one, seemingly has a retaining ring that seems to be seized solid - can anyone give me any advice as to how to remove it.
)

With a syringe apply a bead of naptha (lighter fluid) around the thread. Gently tap it with a light wooden (or plastic) mallet. It will come off (assuming you have a lens spanner).

BetterSense
1-Oct-2010, 15:52
I have a symmar 210/370 with pristine glass but a shutter that only works on T. How much you want for your 5.6 symmar?

Kevin Crisp
1-Oct-2010, 16:22
To answer your question, yes, you should be able to swap with no problem. The difference in the aperture scales won't be all that much, but since you've got both, switch them.