PDA

View Full Version : Film holder query.

albi
1-Oct-2010, 03:35
Recent purchase of 6 S/H Fidelity Astra film holders, inside the film retaining flap there are Two plastic wheels numbered 0 to 9 can you tell me what these are for please.

I also have 2 Fidelity Elite film holders same era which do not have the plastic wheels.

Also a couple are showing wear on the tape edges holding the flaps together and worry if it gets much worse light leek may become a problem. Is there special tape or can any tape be used to make good would it be better to remove the old tape, or just tape over which is what I would do.
Many thanks

Robert A. Zeichner
1-Oct-2010, 04:07
The wheels are meant to allow you to permanently identify what holder a piece of film was exposed in. Set each pair to a different number and when the dark slide is pulled and the film is exposed, the celluloid "wheels" will be in the path of the very edge of the film and the numbers will be exposed on the film. Most holders don't have these. There are some Riteway's that have them and others that don't as well.

David de Gruyl
1-Oct-2010, 05:44
Unmodified grafmatics also have them.

They are useful if you are experiencing light leaks, but otherwise writing on the outside of the filmholder works fine.

Jack Dahlgren
1-Oct-2010, 08:12
Also a couple are showing wear on the tape edges holding the flaps together and worry if it gets much worse light leek may become a problem. Is there special tape or can any tape be used to make good would it be better to remove the old tape, or just tape over which is what I would do.
Many thanks

Be careful when taping over that your tape does not make the film holder sit further away from the back of the camera. If it builds up too much you could experience light leaks and inconsistent focus.

Jim Noel
1-Oct-2010, 08:33
As long as the flap does not come off, the holder will not leak light while in the camera. The tape only serves to hold the flap to the holder.
Get some library book tape, remove what is currently on the holder and replace it with the bookbinding tape.

albi
1-Oct-2010, 13:51
Thank you all for replies and advice.