PDA

View Full Version : Rodinal for TMAX 100-400?

Richard Boulware
30-Mar-2002, 14:32
Although I've used Rodinal for decades...I've never used it for the TMAX 100-400 , 4X5 sheets (in hangers). Anybody have any thoughts on this combo, or any devel opment times to start tests...and speed ratings. Thanks in advance for any inpu t. Richard Boulware

Walter Glover
30-Mar-2002, 16:48
Richard,

I love this combination and find that at 1+100 with minimal agitation there is an almost compensating effect which is very forgiving in relation to subject brightness range. I halve the suggested film speed of Kodak: TMX = EI 50 and TMY = EI 200.

I use a Durst L1200 with condensers and find that 9.5 minutes at 24?C is right on the money. Constant agitation first 30 seconds then 10 seconds every minute thereafter.

I'll be curious to hear your verdict. I find that the T-Max films benefit from the increased acutance that Rodinal and minimal agitation offer.

Another fine developer to try with these films is Crawley's FX-39 which is distributed by Paterson. With FX-39 the Mackie line is such that, when viewd from the emulsion side the image sit up in relief on the film base like old Kodachrome.

I am sure that the hangers in a deep tank will work, but I use Jobo 2509N reels with a centre column extender to use as handle and process in open tanks in the dark. Two reels with 12 sheets fits a Jobo tank holding 3500ml of working solution (35ml concentrate).

Happy days,

Walter Glover

Bill_1856
30-Mar-2002, 22:28
The TMax 100 in Rodinal 1+50 gives even sharper images than Tech Pan! Unfortunately, it also gives lots of grain. I have never found TMax 400 good for anything.

John Hicks
30-Mar-2002, 23:37
TMX in Rodinal 1:100 works well, giving the film an edge sharpness that's missin g with many developers. Dunno about the hangers though.

Jimi
31-Mar-2002, 04:54
I've found that it works ok in dilutions of 1:50 with T-MAX 100. Never cared much for faster films, we don't work together well. Given that you have a consistent agitation technique and pay attention to temperature I think you'll be fine.

Rodinal retains whatever grain structure there is in the film, and the negatives may look more grainy than those developed in say T-MAX RS dev. However they have a greater perceived acutance. Diluted developer together with minimal agitation has a compensating effect.

Thilo Schmid
31-Mar-2002, 07:09
Richard,

supplementary to what has already been said, I want to refer to an interesting article from Patrick A. Gainer in Photo Tech Mag Jan/Feb 2002 issue (Vol 23, No. 1 "Salt to Taste?"). The Article is about doping Rodinal by adding Salt and/or vitamin C to get finer grain while retaining edge sharpness. Although grain is usually not an issue in LF (neither is Film Sharpness), it is an interesting article. There have been reports about doping Rodinal before, but this article provides a systematic approach with image samples. It is not a scientific research report, but encourages to try some things at home. I've done so and it really works, but it clearly improves prints from 35mm-Film a lot more than from LF Sheet Film within usual print sheet sizes and their corresponding viewing distances.

Rodinal is well suited for Tank (whether hanger or reel) or Tray Development and requires longer agitation intervals.

Regards,