PDA

View Full Version : Gnass Filmholder Case - Some Design Thoughts

Photobackpacker
30-Sep-2010, 09:35
Jerold Harter has been kind enough to lend me his Gnass 4x5 film holder case and also got a look at the 8x10 version thanks to Mark Stahlke. I have now had a chance to use them and would like to throw out my thoughts and gather some input from you folks.

Regarding the 4x5:

1. Needs to secure the film holders in place - too easy for them to fall out. I have a prototype with zippered closures that is my favorite so far.
2. I would be inclined to have only 5 film holders per case. I don't need to haul out 10 film holders every time I set up to shoot. This would also allow the case to fit in the side pockets on the P1 and P2 packs I sell.
3. Store film holders out of direct sunlight.
4. There is an awful lot of material in the Gnass version. If the film holders are in secure zippered compartments, the large overall wrap can be reduced in size or possibly eliminated. At worst, it can be less heavy material than the 1200 denier Poly.
5. With the zippered compartment, I would be inclined to have a piece of pencil-compatible plastic so the user can indicate what is inside and perhaps a unexposed/exposed indicator as well.
6, Color - I suspect I will run into some minimum run issues for color. The Kodak yellow (PMS 123) would look nice but the 1000 yd minimum run is an issue.....
7. Dust proof - Any design I go with will have ample space for the use of plastic bags. I am exploring a custom run of bags to be a better fit for the 4x5 and 8x10 holders without the excess. These would be a simple fold-over style.

Regarding the 8x10:

1. Same design changes as above keeping the 3 holder size per the sample I looked at.

Your thoughts would be very helpful.

lenser
30-Sep-2010, 09:56
Bruce, I've got the ten holder Gnass and I appreciate your thoughts about the modifications, especially down to five pockets. I like the blue color that mine has, but I can't help but think back to the white fabric Zone VI bag that I've got. Seems to me the same reasoning would apply in that the highly reflective white keeps a bit of radiant heat off of the holders. With color films, that might mean a difference in some situations.

Bruce Watson
30-Sep-2010, 10:04
7. Dust proof - Any design I go with will have ample space for the use of plastic bags. I am exploring a custom run of bags to be a better fit for the 4x5 and 8x10 holders without the excess. These would be a simple fold-over style.

My holders live in ziplock bags. Fold-over style bags are not good enough for what I want. If they aren't in the zip-locks, they are either in my hand, in my camera, or in my darkroom (loading or unloading). Else, zip-locks. Any organizer will have to be able to handle my holders in zip-locks or I'm not going to buy it.

I've used dumb old zip-lock freezer bags in the past with excellent success. I'm now using made-to-fit bags made of anti-static plastic. This is less successful as the anti-static plastic isn't nearly as strong or tear resistant. And they are too expensive to go through them like I did with the freezer bags (I would use them once, then give them to my wife to use for actual food). So when I run out, it's back to the freezer bags I guess. Unless you come up with a better solution. ;)

But you're absolutely right about the flap on the Gnass organizer. It's a royal PITA, especially in wind. The flap needs to go.

Mark Stahlke
30-Sep-2010, 10:34
Bruce, I like the direction you're headed in. Five 4x5 holders sounds like a good number. I like the zippered closures and pencil-compatible plastic.

I'm not sure about the plastic bags. A lot of plastics are dust magnets due to static and I don't know how well they would hold up in the field.

I'm not particular about the color. It would be nice if it reflects 18% of the light the hits it. That way I'll always have a gray card at hand.

Thanks for taking on this project.

eric black
30-Sep-2010, 11:29
My likes and dislikes on the Gnass bags that I have-
I like the loop which fits very nicely over my ARCA ball head allowing the bag to hang from my tripod when I am shooting in a situation like in water where I dont have any place to put things down. I also like that I can see the slides for my holders therefore I can make a quick assessment of how much film I have left and not confuse ready with spent film.

I dont like the width of the 10 holder bag- too wide- I would rather have a 4x5 holder similar to the quickload holder where there are 3-4 pockets total that can each hold two film holders if need be. The velcro flap should be able to seal up any number of holders greater than say 2. BTW I have put as many as 20 holders into the pockets of the 10-holder that I have- they are spaciaous enough to fit two each.

As for other features being discussed- Im not too sure what I think of zippered pockets- seems like it would be another unneeded step to getting at things when the light is changing fast. I could care less about color other than seconding the 18% comment from above for use as a grey card sub. Im also horribly organized and never have the time or inclination to write anything down when I shoot.

What would really excite me is a system that can be used with other relatively smaller formats- say 4x10 for example...
my 2 cents
E

Jeffrey Sipress
30-Sep-2010, 14:32
Are you hoping to find a used one? I think they are no longer manufactured. They were hardly manufactured when Gnass was offering them!

Photobackpacker
30-Sep-2010, 16:59
Hi Jeffery:

I am sorry, I didn't make that clear - I always assume everyone knows me. How's that for overblown ego.:rolleyes:

I am preparing to manufacture these to add to the Photobackpacker product line. I have heard many good reports about these and now see the appeal. If I am going to do this, I want to add value where it makes sense. This forum is a fantastic source for brainstorming.

Bruce

Atul Mohidekar
30-Sep-2010, 17:06
Hi Bruce,

I have following suggestions:

1. I agree with getting rid of the flap if there are zippers that completely close the film holders - protecting them from drizzle, dirt and dust.

2. Instead of having 5 pockets, have 6 pockets to hold 6 film holders (12 sheets). For those people who carry only 6 film holders in the backpack, can use the film holder case itself for storing them in the backpack (instead of having another case).

3. I hang the Gnass film holder from the tripod. Besides using the pockets for the film envelopes (QuickLoad) or film holders (cut film holders), I also use the small pocket (available on the Gnass QuickLoad holder) for filter(s), pen, measuring tape, etc. I put these small items in the pocket as I pull them out from the backpack whenever needed. They are not stored in the Gnass holder pocket in the backpack. For your film holder case if all film holder pockets are one side of the fabric, add some open pockets on the back or outside of the zippered pockets that could hold small items I mentioned above.

4. Once you have the prototype ready, I would love to see the pictures - may be in a thread like this one. A picture is worth a thousand words. You might get more feedback/suggestions once members of this site see the pictures.

I'm looking forward to using your film holder case.

// Atul

GPS
30-Sep-2010, 17:15
If you're not hell-bent on a soft case why not use a well sized Lock&Lock plastic case? Put a little foam on the bottom and you have a very lightweight, airtight, watertight, dust proof, strong and not expensive film holder case.

lenser
30-Sep-2010, 17:56
Bruce,

I'm not sure I agree on losing the flap as some have suggested. I like it for preventing any direct sun on the tops of the holders which is one place where leaks can occur with age and use and the bowing around the dark slide that I've seen happen with far too many plastic holders. I'd suggest keeping the flap, but adding a Velcro closure at the bottom to keep it from sailing around with the wind.

Photobackpacker
30-Sep-2010, 18:33
If you're not hell-bent on a soft case why not use a well sized Lock&Lock plastic case? Put a little foam on the bottom and you have a very lightweight, airtight, watertight, dust proof, strong and not expensive film holder case.

I really love the lock&lock cases. What I suspect is that mold costs and minimum production run quantities would make it impractical for the size of our niche market.....

Eric Leppanen
30-Sep-2010, 18:57
Hi Bruce,

Here is my personal feedback to your thoughts:

Regarding the 4x5:

1. Needs to secure the film holders in place - too easy for them to fall out. I have a prototype with zippered closures that is my favorite so far.

Agree with the need to secure the holders in place, but I am concerned that zippered closures, while space efficient, will be too cumbersome in the field. I can just imagine profanely struggling with a zipper with gloved hands in 10-degree temperatures and rapidly changing light during sunrise! Maybe there are high tech zippers available these days that are more cooperative, but I have always preferred Velcro (I use the Velcro tabs and not the zippers on your lens case holders for the same reason). I have attached a few photos of my beloved Calumet 4x5 film holder case as an example; it is bulky and lacking features, but it takes good care of my film and is quick and reliable to use.

2. I would be inclined to have only 5 film holders per case. I don't need to haul out 10 film holders every time I set up to shoot. This would also allow the case to fit in the side pockets on the P1 and P2 packs I sell.

This is fine with me. I shoot mostly B&W and color neg film these days (exposure bracketing rarely required), so five holders per case is fine.

3. Store film holders out of direct sunlight.

Definitely!

4. There is an awful lot of material in the Gnass version. If the film holders are in secure zippered compartments, the large overall wrap can be reduced in size or possibly eliminated. At worst, it can be less heavy material than the 1200 denier Poly.

If we assume that the new cases are stored either inside the backpack (or your P1/P2 sidepockets) or in some type of protective container in the car, then I agree that considerable bulk can be shed from the case (versus the Gnass or Calumet).

5. With the zippered compartment, I would be inclined to have a piece of pencil-compatible plastic so the user can indicate what is inside and perhaps a unexposed/exposed indicator as well.

This is a nice idea, although I am a bit uncertain about using it since I'd be afraid of forgetting to change labels during a long trip (you well know what changing lots of film holders in a hotel room late at night can do to the exhausted photographer...). I personally have found it safer to dedicate an entire film case to a single film stock to avoid such labeling problems. In rare situations where I have holders with different film stocks within the same case, I use post-it notes on the holders to label which holder has which film, but your solution certainly is much more elegant.

6, Color - I suspect I will run into some minimum run issues for color. The Kodak yellow (PMS 123) would look nice but the 1000 yd minimum run is an issue.....

Personally I don't care, I'll just go with the flow. :)

This works for me, so long as the bags are anti-static. I'm presuming the anti-static quality will largely compensate for the lack of an outright zippered seal. I scan all of my keepers these days, so I am a bit less dust fastidious than some folks. If a folded anti-static bag keeps 95%+ of the dust out then I am fine with that.

Regarding the 8x10:

1. Same design changes as above keeping the 3 holder size per the sample I looked at.

From a purely selfish point of view, I would prefer a 4 holder case, as I can currently stuff 4 holders into the main outside compartment (on the main back flap) of my P2 backpack. However, if a 4 case holder can't fit, then I can live with a 3.

A couple comments common to both the 4x5 and 8x10 cases: both should have a provision for hanging from the tripod while shooting. And be sure to have a clear plastic window available on the outside of the case where we can insert a small piece of paper or white cardboard identifying the film stock in the case. I tend to dedicate cases to a single film stock.

Glad to see you innovating as always, Bruce. Good luck with this latest project!

Ed Richards
30-Sep-2010, 19:10
I am not sure I appreciate the utility of whole Gnass approach. First, I never want anything hanging on my tripod, it is just an invitation to vibration unless it is also resting on the ground. Second. it is much easier to use a Kinesis pouch on a belt. Kinesis makes one that holds up to 6 holders perfectly, with a pocket in the front for a notepad and pencil, and a flap to holds down with velcro to keep everything secure. I keep a stack of holders in each side pocket of the PBP Kelty and switch them out with the ones in the pouch. I also add a pouch for my light meter and loupe, and another for filters, to the belt. Then all my working gear is handy so I do not have to mess with the pack until I run out of holders or want to change lenses. I can take the holders out of the belt pack and stuff it into the outside pocket of the Kelty for transit.

Struan Gray
1-Oct-2010, 00:08
I use a pair of Gnass Quickload pouches with my Quickchange system. I do hang it on the tripod when composing and pfaffing about, but remove it when exposing as it always swings about too much in the ever-present wind.

I like the ready-access, but don't like the fact that dust and lint can easily get inside. I wouldn't want it unprotected inside a backpacking rucksack. That said, I wouldn't like individual zips for single holders or pairs of holders - too much zipping and unzipping with two hands for my liking.

I am a big fan of Gladstone openings which stay open on their own, and the quick and secure sealing of drybags with a single waterproof zip and a rollover top. A holder case which combined the two would be ideal for me.

GPS
1-Oct-2010, 02:07
I really love the lock&lock cases. What I suspect is that mold costs and minimum production run quantities would make it impractical for the size of our niche market.....

They are produced in such many different sizes that you can always find a size convenient for your purpose. Check their website. Some foam inside (to prevent irritating noise in a backpack) makes up for slight size differences. I have them for lenses (multiple or individual packing) roll film holders, films, accessories etc.

ljsegil
1-Oct-2010, 03:49
Might 5x7 or 4x10 cases (the latter do not fit in your side pockets on the P2) be possible without too much trouble for your manufacturing? Perhaps another possibility would be to attach a holder/carrier to the loops on the back of your back with a couple of clips, carabiners, or some such devices? Probably kind of floppy if just secured to the center loops, but may be convenient for film holders too large for the side pockets on the P2, and perhaps there could be a way to secure the sides of the holder to the pack to decrease the possible movement? Just a thought, a little OT.
Larry

Matus Kalisky
1-Oct-2010, 04:23
Bruce, it is great to hear that you plan to add a dedicated film holder case/pouch to your product line. As I have never used the Gnass Gear pouch I can not comment on that one. Anyhow - I am sure you will get it right.

The only think I would like to put a word in for would be the color - please make than in 2 or 3 colors (say blue, red and yellow) such that if one carries two of them (my approach to separate different film types) they do not get confused. Right now I am using just a pouch made out of folded Novoflex blue neoprene cloth, but would definitely welcome some better solution.

severson
2-Oct-2010, 04:08
I too would be interested in a case for 5x7.
Mark

jeroldharter
19-Oct-2010, 18:38
Somehow I missed this thread. I just got a look at the 4x5 prototype today and I thought it was very nice. I will leave it to Bruce to disclose the details but I thought the quality was excellent and I will be happy to buy them when available. So you might see some nice used Gnass versions posted for sale! The comments here were very good and he incorporated or at least considered them I am sure.

Does anyone have a source for fold-over antistatic bags for 4x5 film holders? I tried this for 8x10 but the ones I bought are pretty bulky. It would be nice if properly sized antistatic bags were available from Photobackpacker when the packs become available.

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Oct-2010, 20:08
How about making 5X7 as well?

jeroldharter
19-Oct-2010, 21:07
How about making 5X7 as well?

Bruce mentioned that he planned 4x5, 8x10, and probably 5x7. I suggest that everyone let him know if they are interested in any of the less common formats.

Jan Becket
6-Nov-2010, 01:25
Hi Bruce,

Many thanks for undertaking this project! By chance I discovered that my local Office Max was a decent source of film holder cases. The Mead Expanding poly envelope in the coupon size (7.5"X5.5") nicely fits two film holders. With some obsessive effort, dust can be eliminated with an anti-static cloth before each use. If someone were to take that basic design and come up with an anti-static version, Iʻd bite.

The advantage of a two-holder case is that the holders can be better distributed around the pack, to fill empty spaces and to make the configuration more flexible.

Maybe itʻs just me, but I shoot in messy places, sometimes with lots of ambient dust. The more I am in and out of a film holder case, the more collateral dust damage happens. Limiting a case to just two film holders means that it gets opened just once or twice.

- Jan

Atul Mohidekar
6-Nov-2010, 08:09
By chance I discovered that my local Office Max was a decent source of film holder cases. The Mead Expanding poly envelope in the coupon size (7.5"X5.5") nicely fits two film holders.
- Jan

Hi Jan,

I'm looking forward to Bruce's film holder cases. Before they become available, I'm looking for an interim solution. Could you specify the exact model number of "Mead Expanding poly envelope" that you bought? I searched for these online, using Google, and could not find one, including at OfficeMax.com and Staples.com. If you have a link to a page that shows this product, it would be great.

Regards,

// Atul

Jan Becket
13-Nov-2010, 00:26
Hi Atul,
I got them at the local Office Max, but from the label I see that they come three to a pack, #89583 at www.smead.com. The only drawback is that they close with velcro stick-on tabs that come off after a short while. Junk design. My local drugstore carries another brand that is made of slightly thicker plastic and that closes with string. Old school, but more durable. I havenʻt found the source for those yet. — Jan

Atul Mohidekar
13-Nov-2010, 08:19
Hi Atul,
I got them at the local Office Max, but from the label I see that they come three to a pack, #89583 at www.smead.com. The only drawback is that they close with velcro stick-on tabs that come off after a short while. Junk design. My local drugstore carries another brand that is made of slightly thicker plastic and that closes with string. Old school, but more durable. I havenʻt found the source for those yet. — Jan

Thanks, Jan, for the info.

// Atul

Renato Tonelli
13-Nov-2010, 12:30
Bruce mentioned that he planned 4x5, 8x10, and probably 5x7. I suggest that everyone let him know if they are interested in any of the less common formats.

Yes, a 5x7 would be appreciated.

Photobackpacker
29-Jan-2011, 07:59
Here is the first pre-production sample of the 4x5 Six pack filmholder case.

The color of the outer wrap will be roughly 18% gray - not the green shown here.

I have tried to incorporate as many of the suggestions as I could but in the end, had to make the final design decisions myself. No offense to those who offered suggestions that were not used.

Picture 1 shows the outer cover of the empty case. with the outer handle.
Picture 2 shows the film holder open with the inner handle at the top.
Picture 3 shows the orientation of the filmholder going into the case. The zippered case provides for direct sunlight protection but would not be considered light or dust tight.
Picture 4 shows the label available for noting the contents of the film holder. You can write and erase easily with a number 2 pencil.

Photobackpacker
29-Jan-2011, 08:19
Picture 5 shows the strip of loop for attaching small accessories like lens brush, etc below the inside handle (thanks Jamie). This will be covered by the outer wrap when in transit.
Picture 6 shows the system I have come up with to note when a film holder is exposed. When unexposed, the zipper pull hangs below the zipper. When exposed, you simply press the zipper pull into the recessed hook (recessed so it doesn't catch everything). You can tell at a glance which filmholders have been used.
Picture 7 shows the wrapped-up case with 6 film holders held by the outer handle.

- The Six-Pack with 6 filmholders will fit in the P1/P2 outer pockets.
- I have designed it to accept 12 filmholders but truthfully I find this unwieldy.
- The Six-Pack has inner and outer web handles for carrying and hanging from tripod.
- It is made with polyester since nylon tends to turn our filmholders into dust collectors.
- China is is essentially shut down for Chinese New Year and I still need to get the "gold sample" from them before I issue a production release. I am hoping to have these available by April 15th.
- Based upon current pricing, the Six-Pack will retail for $39.95. With the current economic uncertainties, this could change.
- I am spending the weekend sewing samples of the 5x7 (with 4 compartments) and the 8x10 (with 3 compartments). I hope to be able to include these in the production run but the capital investment in inventory is worrying me a bit in this economy.
- I am considering making these for off-size filmholders on a custom basis if there is any interest in this. If this is of interest, I would appreciate hearing from you.

SW Rick
29-Jan-2011, 08:30
Nicely executed, Bruce! Should be very popular- look forward to your final announcement.

cowanw
29-Jan-2011, 09:20
I am in for all 3 sizes.
Bill

Arne Croell
29-Jan-2011, 09:34
Looks quite nice - count me in for a 4x5 one and a 5x7 once they are available. Its a good thing that each pocket could hold two regular holders, because this means that thicker holders like the older Linhof ones will fit, at least with respect to thickness. Since the Linhof ones are also a little longer, what are the exact inside dimensions of each pocket?

jeroldharter
29-Jan-2011, 11:14
Great work, Bruce!

I have seen the prototype and can say that it is very good and I prefer it to my 3 Gnass holders. The anticipated price is good too - it will drive down the price premium of those used Gnass holders! Oops - looks like I will have 3 to sell soon.

Bruce, will you be offering the plastic bags?

I anticipate buying 3 of the 4x5 and at least 3 of the 8x10. I hope you get a good response.

Preston
29-Jan-2011, 11:20
Bruce, you've done some very nice work, here!

Please add me to the list for one (1) 4x5.

Many thanks!

--P

Photobackpacker
29-Jan-2011, 11:28
The pockets are 10 x 5.5 flat. The depth and length were chosen to ensure that filmholders will go in and out without hanging up on the zipper and so that the zipper will close and open with no interference from the filmholder itself.

Looks quite nice - count me in for a 4x5 one and a 5x7 once they are available. Its a good thing that each pocket could hold two regular holders, because this means that thicker holders like the older Linhof ones will fit, at least with respect to thickness. Since the Linhof ones are also a little longer, what are the exact inside dimensions of each pocket?

Photobackpacker
29-Jan-2011, 11:29
I will be getting some quotes next week. It should round out the system nicely to have perfect fit anti-stat bags.

Great work, Bruce!

I have seen the prototype and can say that it is very good and I prefer it to my 3 Gnass holders. The anticipated price is good too - it will drive down the price premium of those used Gnass holders! Oops - looks like I will have 3 to sell soon.

Bruce, will you be offering the plastic bags?

I anticipate buying 3 of the 4x5 and at least 3 of the 8x10. I hope you get a good response.

Atul Mohidekar
29-Jan-2011, 11:41
Nice work, Bruce.

What is the weight (oz/gm) of the 4x5 six-pack?

Thanks.

// Atul

anglophone1
29-Jan-2011, 12:08
I'd llke three please.
Clive

Photobackpacker
29-Jan-2011, 12:25
The current sample is around 10 ounces.

Nice work, Bruce.

What is the weight (oz/gm) of the 4x5 six-pack?

Thanks.

// Atul

munz6869
30-Jan-2011, 05:11
Looks perfect for travels! I'd be keen on two 4x5"s - one for colour, one for b&w...

Marc!

Fred L
30-Jan-2011, 07:05
Guess I'll be buying some for 4x5 and 8x10. Any idea if you'll be producing other sizes,like oh, 7x17 ?

Photobackpacker
30-Jan-2011, 08:36
For the 7x17, or like sizes, how many would you want in the pack and would an outer wrap need some light foam, say 1/8" for extra protection?

When you spend more on a film holder than most average folk will on photography, .......

john wood
30-Jan-2011, 10:47
Thanks for the email on the side, but also wanted to say here: great work, they look beautiful. Far better than what I have now...looking forward to full production.

Jim Cole
30-Jan-2011, 15:59
Great design Bruce. I'll be in for a 4x5 and a couple of 8x10.

612tom
30-Jan-2011, 17:42
Love your work Bruce, look forward to the 8x10 one and how's about a custom model for six 4x10" holders?

:)

Photobackpacker
30-Jan-2011, 18:25
If there is an appetite for non-standard units, I will probably be able to accommodate these. A caution, however. These will not be priced at $39.95. I may be easy, but I ain't cheap. :D

Fred L
30-Jan-2011, 20:23
Let us know when you finalize the 8x10 version and have a rough idea on price, gotta raid the coin jar :)

Atul Mohidekar
31-Jan-2011, 00:54
If there is an appetite for non-standard units, I will probably be able to accommodate these. A caution, however. These will not be priced at $39.95. I may be easy, but I ain't cheap. :D

How about an eight-pack version for 4x5 holders? I think Gnass used to have one.

// Atul

HeinrichVoelkel
31-Jan-2011, 02:23
Wow, they look great, I'm in for a couple of 4x5 and 8x10 cases.

Keith Pitman
31-Jan-2011, 19:08
And, now for your next trick . . . how about a meter holster or perhaps a tool belt that could carry the meter and some of the other stuff a LF photographer needs to keep handy: filters, notebook, lens shade, etc., . . .

timparkin
14-Mar-2011, 07:50
Count me in for a 4x5 and an 8x10

Diane Maher
14-Mar-2011, 09:35
I am wondering what the size on the 8x10 pocket will be. I have a Gnass holder currently and sometimes, when I am removing the film holder, the corner sometimes gets caught. This is more of an irritant than anything.

As for other film sizes, I am using a laptop bag for my 5x12 holders and a bag I got at a conference for my whole plate (6½" x 8½") holders. Of the two, I'd probably be more interested in a bag for my whole plate holders. :D

Diane

Photobackpacker
15-Mar-2011, 11:09
The samples will be here by the end of this week and I hope to place an order as soon as I have validated the quality and conformity of the samples.

I will be ordering components that will allow me to custom make unique sizes that are too unique to justify a production run.

The zippered opening has a tendency to catch the corners of the film holders. This was one of the toughest design features to work out. Through trial and error, I have enlarged the case to minimize this tendency without overkill.

Bruce

SW Rick
15-Mar-2011, 11:33
Good news, Bruce! Looking forward to a 4x5.

Rick

anglophone1
15-Mar-2011, 15:55
Just let me know when & how I can order
C

anglophone1
2-May-2011, 13:52
Any news on these yet?

Photobackpacker
9-May-2011, 19:51
I have approved the final samples as of last Wednesday but we are doing the dance of death over pricing. I expect to have the order placed by the end of the week.

jeroldharter
9-May-2011, 21:25
Excellent. Will you have all the standard sizes available?

Preston
9-May-2011, 21:40
Excellent, Bruce! I'm looking forward to a 4x5.

Once you have things finalized, please advise us how to order.

Many thanks,

--P

Photobackpacker
10-May-2011, 20:58
Excellent. Will you have all the standard sizes available?

4x5 and 8x10 for sure. I may decide to make the 5X7 as needed. I am uncertain what the demand will be for them.

Jean-Louis Llech
13-May-2011, 00:51
Hi, everybody,
Bruce, it might be very pleasant if your bags could be distributed or shipped to Europe (and best to France, and best of the best, to my home.
I already use Gnassgear lens bags, which are very well made, but I would prefer individual lens bags, not by 3 or 4. Something like LightGear Ultra cases, maybe ?
Kind regards
Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis Llech
13-May-2011, 00:53
I add that you could find some resellers in France. I have a list which I could mail to you if you wish.

Robert A. Zeichner
13-May-2011, 05:16
I would be very interested in both a 4x5 and 5x7.

Fishjump
15-May-2011, 15:30
any idea of the timeframe for these?

Photobackpacker
15-May-2011, 16:50
any idea of the timeframe for these?

90 days from the point where I agree to the production. I am still re-re-re-re-negotiating the price. I am hopeful this will be resolved this week.

Hint for sourcing out of China - estimate the production time, change it to the next higher unit of time and then double it. :(

Bruce

jeroldharter
3-Jun-2011, 18:19
90 days from the point where I agree to the production. I am still re-re-re-re-negotiating the price. I am hopeful this will be resolved this week.
Bruce

In rough numbers, that puts it out to Labor Day. I have a trip in November. So please put me down for the first 2 (maybe 3) 8x10 models!

Jamie

Uri A
7-Jun-2011, 23:42
Just saw this thread .. these are fantastic Bruce! Let me know when the 8x10's are ready.

Photobackpacker
1-Jul-2011, 12:38
The order has been placed. The hang-up has been the material for the overall cover. To get the 600D poly I want, I had to buy 1000 yards of material and walk-away from 690 yards. I exhausted every avenue short of hopping on a plane and carrying the material with me, I couldn't get around it.

The impact will be a slightly higher price than I quoted originally but it is still manageable. I will give everyone an anticipated availability date as soon as I hear back from the factory.

HeinrichVoelkel
25-Aug-2011, 13:14
any news?

Photobackpacker
26-Aug-2011, 20:54
The order was supposed to be completed today, 8/26, and headed for the docks at Hong Kong. I will confirm this on Monday. If it is proceeding as planned the main shipment, will arrive at my door by September 30.

I have a handful of 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 coming by air to allow me get pictures and and shoot an instructional video. This shipment will also allow me to send first article gifts to those who lent me film holders and Gnass cases. These should arrive by the end of next week.

Now, if the container ship doesn't sink or the train derail or some other natural disaster happen - these dates will hold.

I have been asked about price. The higher material costs effectively torpedoed my earlier estimate. I will be asking $44.95 per item - whether 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10.

Uri A
26-Aug-2011, 21:07
Great news! Looking forward to seeing the video.

jeroldharter
26-Aug-2011, 21:41
Great news.

Thanks for seeing this through, Bruce.

I can say that I have a few Gnass 4x5 holders and have compared them side by side with the PB prototype. The PB has significant improvements (especially zipped compartments) and the price is very good. I will be ordering 4x5 and 8x10.

HeinrichVoelkel
28-Aug-2011, 02:31
great news. perfect timing

gevalia
5-Sep-2011, 13:52

Hint for sourcing out of China - estimate the production time, change it to the next higher unit of time and then double it. :(

Bruce

Bruce,

Sorry I am so late to the game on this. When out hiking, I have always thought about fashioning DD holder cases that would velcro to my outer thighs over the muscle. Quick and easy access and out of the way unless you're crossing water in which case I'd quickly pop them in my backpack. Just a thought that's been rolling around up there.

Ron

Uri A
5-Sep-2011, 18:15
I have always thought about fashioning DD holder cases that would velcro to my outer thighs over the muscle.

Ron

Hoo boy! Can we please see an illustration of this? :D

Photobackpacker
5-Sep-2011, 18:48
Bruce,

Sorry I am so late to the game on this. When out hiking, I have always thought about fashioning DD holder cases that would velcro to my outer thighs over the muscle. Quick and easy access and out of the way unless you're crossing water in which case I'd quickly pop them in my backpack. Just a thought that's been rolling around up there.

Ron

Are you thinking about something like the pockets found on Cargo pants except detachable?

gevalia
6-Sep-2011, 02:54
Are you thinking about something like the pockets found on Cargo pants except detachable?

Bruce,

Yes, I think that will do. I'd imagine that different people would find them comfortable oriented a little differently on the thigh. And there may need to be some sweatproof padding against the leg but yeah, that's the general idea. I did walk around the house with 4 DD's rubberbanded (the huge USPS rubberbands) to my thighs a few years ago and I got use to them in a few minutes.

Ron

gevalia
7-Sep-2011, 06:12
Bruce,

You seem receptive to suggestions so I'll offer another. I've bought your backpack + accessories and also a case for my Chamonix. When I use your backpack (which is becoming less frequent because of its size), I put the Chamonix in its case and the case in the backpack.

But now I prefer to keep the camera on the tripod when hiking. And most of the 4x5 LF photogs I have seen in the canyons leave their camera on the tripod when hiking. Obviosly my observations are of a small subset. But what I need is a protective cover for the camera when it is on the tripod while I am hiking. Protective against the swipes against twigs and small branches when walking through the woods and of the fine sand that blows in the high desert areas or even against the spray of mist while walking down the beach to a spot. Not intended for dropping the camera of course, not that kind of protection at all. What I do now is throw a plastic bag over it when it is folded down and put a rubber band around the bag to secure it around the top of the tripod legs. I even though of laying out some carbon fibre into some sort of clamshell.

Regards,
Ron

Photobackpacker
7-Sep-2011, 10:21
How much protection do you envision? A quilted fabric, 10mm foam like my cases or foam with HDPE plastic for penetration protection?

gevalia
7-Sep-2011, 10:53
How much protection do you envision? A quilted fabric, 10mm foam like my cases or foam with HDPE plastic for penetration protection?

Good question. I did think of taking your case as a starting point and rigging it to the tripod with a showl of some sort. This was before my trip last April to CO and UT in April. I slipped on some ice and the camera went into a snow bank. At that point I thought about carbon fibre with foam inside. The carbon fibre is overkill for my stated purpose but I think HDPE with a little foam inside would be great. I don't know the temp range of HDPE.

Again, I wasn't thinking of a hood that would protect the camera if you dropped it down a canyon or even from 5 feet up. Just some minimal protection so you could have some peace of mind when hiking with camera on tripod.

I wonder what others think about this.

Ron

Dave Jeffery
11-Sep-2011, 03:38
What if it also was designed as a rain cover with Velcro flaps that open for taking pictures?

Dave Jeffery
11-Sep-2011, 04:05
As compared to this which is bulky and overkill IMHO.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=672

Rain cover/ camera protector with flaps that can open or cover the lens and ground glass?

Pete Roody
17-Sep-2011, 08:16
Bruce,

Can you give me an update on the availability of 5x7 and 8x10 sizes?

Thanks,

Pete

KenM
17-Sep-2011, 15:42
Bruce - glad to see you're increasing your product line. As an initial adopter of your lens cases way-back-when, I've been completely satisfied with that I currently have. You offer a great, robust product!

Regarding the film holders, will grafmatics fit in the pouches?

Photobackpacker
17-Sep-2011, 20:21
The samples arrived last Thursday. I was told the main shipment has not yet left China. As I told my vendor, I do not need any outside help to look like a idiot - I can take care of that on my own. :(

I will be getting a further update and will be pressing for a vendor-paid air shipment but I am not holding my breath.

Bruce

Photobackpacker
17-Sep-2011, 20:30
Bruce - glad to see you're increasing your product line. As an initial adopter of your lens cases way-back-when, I've been completely satisfied with that I currently have. You offer a great, robust product!

Regarding the film holders, will grafmatics fit in the pouches?

Thanks for the kind words, Ken. I have been asked about the Grafmatics. I do not think they will fit in the 4x5. The 5x7 would handle them but perhaps too loosely. How many would you carry? Is there an advantage to the cascading pocket style or is that less important with the grafmatics? Is there someone who will send me a grafmatic so I can look at it?

This is an item I would produce locally. I doubt the demand would justify a full production run.

jeroldharter
17-Sep-2011, 21:42
Bruce,

I will take 3 of the 8x10 holders as soon as you get them! Each in a different color of course.

I assume they will be available on your website but I have a trip in November and want to elbow my way through!

This wil be great to see a new product come to fruition. Thanks for seeing this through.

Pete Roody
18-Sep-2011, 06:35
Bruce,

I still use Fuji quickloads and will be for a few years at least since i bought enough film before it was discontinued. I would be great if someone made a pouch that held the older and film sheets.

Photobackpacker
21-Sep-2011, 10:50
My Chinese vendor has agreed to ship a small supply of the film holder cases to me by Air. By the end of next week, I will have 25 of the 4x5, 12 of the 5x7 and 20 of the 8x10. I am setting up the BOM and other accounting background items today and hope to have the "RPT Cascade Film Holder Cases" on my web site by This Friday. :D

I am announcing this exclusively on the Large Format Forum in honor of all the suggestions and encouragement offered by y'all! The surface shipment will probably arrive in Mid to Late October.

Bruce

anglophone1
21-Sep-2011, 12:48
I'll place my order on Friday!

jeroldharter
25-Sep-2011, 19:00
I just ordered 4x5 and 8x10. They are available!

atlcruiser
25-Sep-2011, 20:55
I just ordered 2 810! I need 4 but I did not want to hog them :)

thanks bruce for making this happen!

munz6869
25-Sep-2011, 22:20
I just ordered 2x 4x5's - What an excellently developed problem solver! I can't wait...

Marc!

Jim Cole
26-Sep-2011, 09:36
Just ordered an 8x10 to give it a try. I hope he still has some as I forgot to order on Friday.

anglophone1
26-Sep-2011, 12:58
Forgot to go order this weekend, will do tomorrow!

Photobackpacker
26-Sep-2011, 14:27
All orders have shipped. I still have 18 8x10, 25 4x5 and 12 5x7 as of today, 9/26.

Steve Hamley
26-Sep-2011, 16:26
Ordered a couple of 5x7. Thanks Bruce.

Cheers, Steve

Mark Stahlke
27-Sep-2011, 13:35
I just received an 8x10 film holder case from Bruce. It's an excellent piece of equipment. If you've already ordered some, I think you'll be very happy. If not, get 'em while they're hot!

The attention to detail is terrific. The pockets are just the right size. Small enough that the film holders can't slide around much but big enough that I can remove and replace them without fear of snagging and pulling the dark slides.

Carrying straps on both sides (unlike the Gnass cases).

Each zippered pocket has a small "card" so it can be labeled with the film type. The zippers have a little velcro dot to keep them in place. Like I said attention to detail.

Thanks, Bruce, for supporting the LF community with high quality products.

jeroldharter
27-Sep-2011, 14:41
The purpose of the velcro tab on the zipper is to "close" the compartment, turn the tab from whit to black (like a dark slide) and label that holder as "exposed" so you don't need to root around for the next holder.

Photobackpacker
27-Sep-2011, 16:00
Thanks for the kind words, Jamie but the collaboration and positive, upbeat suggestions from this forum were responsible for the final product. Even the suggestions I did not implement cause a serious rethink and weighing of the pros and cons.

I am actually thoroughly embarrassed that it took 13 months to bring this product to market...........

It dawned on me that I probably abused the forum guidelines on advertising with the blatant announcement of the arrival of of the product.....if so, sorry. :o

I just received an 8x10 film holder case from Bruce. It's an excellent piece of equipment. If you've already ordered some, I think you'll be very happy. If not, get 'em while they're hot!

The attention to detail is terrific. The pockets are just the right size. Small enough that the film holders can't slide around much but big enough that I can remove and replace them without fear of snagging and pulling the dark slides.

Carrying straps on both sides (unlike the Gnass cases).

Each zippered pocket has a small "card" so it can be labeled with the film type. The zippers have a little velcro dot to keep them in place. Like I said attention to detail.

Thanks, Bruce, for supporting the LF community with high quality products.

jeroldharter
27-Sep-2011, 17:26
I got mine today and played with the 8x10 holders briefly. I can snugly fit 2 Fidelity holders into each of the 3 compartments. Not sure I will use them that way as it might be too snug for me, but they fit. Very nice product.

Jim Cole
28-Sep-2011, 15:37
Just received mine a few minutes ago and what a great product. Perfect size and the wrap around cover works like a charm. I was especially happy to note that the hanging loop is big enough to go over my tripod head, something that my 4x5 Gnass holder won't do which was designed to hang on a hook.

Thanks, Brian. I guess I wil need another of these in a month or so.

atlcruiser
30-Sep-2011, 11:10
Mine arrived yesterday.cant wait to use them!

SW Rick
30-Sep-2011, 21:29
My 4x5 arrived today- nicely designed and executed!

Anything further on antistatic bags (for 4x5 specifically)?

Rick

Photobackpacker
3-Dec-2011, 21:29
And now for my video debut - No Chortling Rule is Now Active. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvZxMuzEfdg

Kirk Gittings
3-Dec-2011, 22:16
Aside from the wonderful film case that is some dapper shooting outfit you have on.:cool:

Photobackpacker
3-Dec-2011, 22:26
Goodwill - don't leave home without it! :D

Aside from the wonderful film case that is some dapper shooting outfit you have on.:cool:

jeroldharter
4-Dec-2011, 21:04
Nice video Bruce. I wish you had shown the 5x7 and 8x10 too.

I just used the 8x10 bags on a photo trip and they worked great.

biedron
5-Dec-2011, 01:25
I used the film holder case (4x5) on a photo trip to the southwest a couple of weeks ago and it worked out great. In fact the whole Photobackpacker system worked great...really made carrying all the heavy stuff a lot easier.

Bob