PDA

View Full Version : Crown Graphic as Press Camera

Robert Budding
30-Sep-2010, 06:50
I've had some fun using my Crown Graphic hand-held. And now I'd like to add a few more lenses that can be closed up into the camera body. I also use electronic flash.

Has anyone here had experience with the Nikkor and Fijinon 90mm f/8 lenses on the Crown? Are they usable without dropping the bed? What about framing? Do you use the sports finder? Is it easy to set lenses up that have modern shutters so that I can trigger the shutter using the body release?

I'm also considering the Nikkor 200mm f/8. Will it fold into the camera body? The other possibility is a 203mm Ektar in a Flash Supermatic shutter.

IanG
30-Sep-2010, 07:44
You'll need to drop the bed for the 90mm, they are useable.

The Nikkor M 200mm f8 should easily close into the body it's only a Copal 1 shutter, and I use that size with an f4.5 Tessar with no problems.

Ian

Robert Budding
30-Sep-2010, 08:03
Thanks, Ian.

JamesFromSydney
30-Sep-2010, 09:04
I just added a 210mm f/6.1 xenar to mine. The Copal #1 shutter doesn't work as well with the CG shutter release, although I managed to get it to work by positioning both carefully. Haven't shot any film hand-held with it yet, although it does seem like quite a different experience to the shorter lenses, which are lighter and closer to the main body. The longer lens makes the camera heavier and also changes the center of balance forward. I'll probably be using this on the tripod or monopod most of the time. The lens does close up in the body.

A 180mm xenar would also likely be a good choice

jp
30-Sep-2010, 09:06
add 203 optar to your list. Haven't tried anything very wide on a speed/crown graphic yet.

Frank Petronio
30-Sep-2010, 10:19
I'd opt for lenses of the same vintage myself, the old Ektars are still state of the art when they are clear. The old shutters are better than state of the art when you get them CLA'd.

You don't mention which RF you have but I think Fred Lustig can still get or make you cams for the common focal lengths (with a top RF model).

Personally I'd go for a late 6million plus serial number Schneider 90mm Angulon in a Synchro Compur; a 135 Xenar or Ektar in a classic round aperture shutter; and a 203/7.7 Ektar. Hard to beat for value-quality.

Robert Budding
30-Sep-2010, 10:55
Frank - I originally bought my camera from Fred Lustig. He recommended a Crown with the top rangefinder so I can use interchangeable cams.

Yes, the vintage lenses can be quite good. Even my little 135 Optar is quite nice. For the short telephoto, I'll likely go with a 203mm Ektar. I can easily have SK Grimes check the shutter and service as needed. From what I've read, it's a nice lens.

Is there a reason to favor the Schneider Angulon over other lenses? (Value is a good reason!).

IanG
30-Sep-2010, 11:29
The 90mm f6.8 is small & light but it's finding a good one. Many are poor performers Schneider's QC was at it's worst, although to be fair it's mainly down to poor shutter tolerances and variations in cell spacing. Kerry Thalman & Chres Perez tested quite a few.

£80-£100 ($125-$160) is the going rate for a good 90mm Angulon,

Ian

Frank Petronio
30-Sep-2010, 11:30
I can't speak for the quality of a 90mm Optar for example, I am sure they are fine in general. But I know from experience that a late 1960s-70s production 90mm Angulon is a superb lens and Schneider's quality control rapidly improved during those times. That's why I say > 6 million serial number and/or a Linhof-selected version.

Some people will poo-poo that lens because it doesn't have a lot of coverage and corners will be softer until you stop down, but on a Crown you're hardly using the movements if at all. In terms of sharpness, the good 90 Angulons matched any of the later Rodenstock 90s I used.

Robert Budding
30-Sep-2010, 13:22
I can't speak for the quality of a 90mm Optar for example, I am sure they are fine in general. But I know from experience that a late 1960s-70s production 90mm Angulon is a superb lens and Schneider's quality control rapidly improved during those times. That's why I say > 6 million serial number and/or a Linhof-selected version.

Some people will poo-poo that lens because it doesn't have a lot of coverage and corners will be softer until you stop down, but on a Crown you're hardly using the movements if at all. In terms of sharpness, the good 90 Angulons matched any of the later Rodenstock 90s I used.

Sounds like an excellent lens for my uses.