PDA

View Full Version : Computar 9.0/240mm

JDS
29-Sep-2010, 19:08
New here and to LF. I have come across a good amount of what I believe is LF gear from an estate. Can anyone here tell what I've got here? I would like to sell it but I need an ID first. It is a Computar 9.0/ 240mm. Doesn't appear used. Thanks, John.

Oren Grad
29-Sep-2010, 19:48
The 240mm Computar is a well-known, desirable lens. Although designed for use in process cameras, it also has the property of projecting a very large image circle when the aperture is stopped down, making it especially useful for photographers who work with ultra-large formats such as 11x14.

Yours is in barrel mount, which will likely limit the market value to a few hundred dollars. The market value is limited by the fact that most users will prefer to have it mounted in a shutter for more convenient use, which means adding several hundred dollars more to the the price paid for the lens in barrel, before it's ready for use. Nevertheless, assuming the glass is clean and a realistic price is set, the lens should be readily saleable.

Steve Goldstein
30-Sep-2010, 07:55
An important consideration is whether the two cells can be easily unscrewed from the barrel mount. If yes, then you have the more desirable version as the cells screw directly into a Copal 3S shutter. If no, the new owner would be facing some expen$ive work from SK Grimes...

JDS
30-Sep-2010, 09:03
Thanks for your recent replies. I have disassembled the lens. Can anyone describe to me the various pieces? Especially the center piece in the middle row and the two pieces in the front row. Thanks, John.

ericantonio
30-Sep-2010, 09:18
Thanks for your recent replies. I have disassembled the lens. Can anyone describe to me the various pieces? Especially the center piece in the middle row and the two pieces in the front row. Thanks, John.

If I were to put that back together, there would be a lot of pieces left over.

domaz
30-Sep-2010, 10:32
The important parts are the front and rear lens elements. Measure the diameter of the threads with a dial caliper and see if they could match any of the standard shutter sizes listed on this page (http://www.skgrimes.com/compur/). If the thread diameters match the lens might screw into a standard shutter- but the only way to confirm that is to find a standard shutter.

JDS
30-Sep-2010, 10:47
Both front and rear threads measure 56mm. Thus confirming that they will fit a Copal 3S shutter as was previously posted. Thanks, John.

JDS
30-Sep-2010, 11:53
Can anyone tell me what a reasonable asking price would be for this lens? Thanks, John.

sanking
30-Sep-2010, 12:10
Can anyone tell me what a reasonable asking price would be for this lens? Thanks, John.

Perhaps $500 as is. If mounted in a Copal 3S with an aperture plate I think it should go for over $1000. Most of the 240mm Computar will screw directly into the Copal 3S. If you can find one of these for a reasonable price you could pay to have an aperture scale put on the shutter and come out pretty well, especially if you did not pay much for the lens in barrel.

Sandy King