PDA

View Full Version : Ries Tripod advice

B.S.Kumar
29-Sep-2010, 16:27
Would a Ries C600 support a Sinar X with a Betterlight scan back? Ries lists the maximum supported weight at 14 lbs, which is what the Sinar + Betterlight would weigh. I have a Slik GrandMaster CF and a Gitzo Studex, and use them with Manfrotto 405 or Sinar Pan Tilt heads. Both are extremely stable, but aren't very compact for travel. I've never used a wooden tripod before, so advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kumar

John Kasaian
29-Sep-2010, 16:46
I use a Ries and love it---they are very conservative in their rating when it comes to wieght and they are very stable platforms---but I've never thought of them as being all that compact.

B.S.Kumar
29-Sep-2010, 17:00
This one folds up to 21", so reasonable, I think?

Kumar

R Mann
29-Sep-2010, 17:28
I have owned quite a few brands and like the Ries over all of them. Best features compared to a Gitzo is the ability to adjust each leg angle and the lock knob design works with gloves on. Once set up they are a solid as any tripod I have used, but I would also not call them compact. I prefer the one section legs over the two section legs, easier to set up and really not that much larger.

Drew Wiley
29-Sep-2010, 18:04
I don't have a scanning back, but have used a C100 Ries with a Sinar F2 for long
exposures, even with very long bellows extensions. Plenty solid, because you can balance the rail anywhere you wish. In extreme situations, two rails clamps were
mounted to a maple board, then this directly to the top of the tripod. Since the X
camera is quite a bit heavier, I'd simply ask the Ries people if you could test the
tripod out. They recently replaced a leg for free for my very heavily used bigger J tripod, and as far as I'm concerned, their service and warranty are simply great. Wooden tripods also inherently have the ability to dampen vibrations better than other materials.

Keith Pitman
29-Sep-2010, 18:29
I believe this is the "packable" Ries tripod that I had. The legs are joined like a collapsible cue stick. I found it wobbly at the joints.

B.S.Kumar
29-Sep-2010, 19:38
Drew, I'm in Japan, so there's no way to test it.

Keith, wobbling is certainly not good for a scanning back!

Kumar

Heroique
29-Sep-2010, 19:42
For several years, I’ve enjoyed the J600 tripod whose “packable” design is like the C600 you mention.

(The J600 is 2 lbs heavier, can support 2 additional lbs., its crown is ¼” wider – of course, you’ll have to decide whether these differences suit your needs and are worth the additional cost, about $200 more.)

Some quick tripod observations which should apply to the C600:

Keep in mind, the tripod’s maximum height of “59 inches” is the height when the three legs are assembled, installed on the tripod, and “closed together,” with their feet touching each other. When you open the legs so the tripod can stand, this height will be lower (perhaps 50" or so), but your tripod head will, of course, add back some height. When the legs are assembled and “closed together” in this way, and tightened down, the tripod is very easy to carry around for short (or not-so-short) distances.

When I do macro, or need to be close to the ground, I typically unscrew the legs, put aside the top portion of each leg, and reinsert the lower portion, and tighten down. Very versatile!

Ries’ black transport bag is very nice, tough, well designed. When your tripod is disassembled and stored in the bag, the parts stay put, making transport and storage quite convenient. Often, I've strapped the bag to my backpack (vertically or horizontally), and walked through branches and brambles with ease. :p

I imagine one cost to the C600/J600’s unique design is, perhaps, a greater chance of being slightly more “wobbly” than Ries’ other tripods, but I’ve never had a chance to compare – nor felt the need. And my tripod’s leg joints have never come loose after several years, but I’ve heard of this happening – no worry, that’s covered by the generous lifetime warranty.

And the Ries people are so very helpful and supportive. Call them and they can address more technical questions, too. Hope this helps.

B.S.Kumar
29-Sep-2010, 19:49
Heroique, that's more reassuring. I'm getting closer!

Kumar

Drew Wiley
29-Sep-2010, 19:50
I'd agree with Keith. The shorter outside leg sections, and the screw-together inners,
just aren't as stable as the longer C100. But given your specific equipment, I'd feel
a lot better with the J100-2 Ries, which should be plenty stable. Unfortunately, all my own Sinar P components are mounted to dedicated studio gear and not available
for field testing like my Sinar F is. And I'm just beginning to test my new Feisol carbon tripod - their biggest model, and easily supports my 8x10 at half the weight
of the J Ries. But in windy conditions, there's simply nothing better than a big Ries.

Rider
29-Sep-2010, 19:52
Is the Ries something sutiable for use with 35mm as well as LF?

B.S.Kumar
29-Sep-2010, 20:06
Okay, so maybe the Sinar X isn't a good idea. What about using the C600 with a Wista metal field and the Betterlight? Would it be stable/secure?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Kumar

RPNugent
30-Sep-2010, 05:01
The original legs on the J600 were a bit wobbly at the joints. Reis redesigned the joint to get rid of the problem and offered free replacement of the legs for mine when I called to complain about the wobbly feel. It's now quite solid.

B.S.Kumar
30-Sep-2010, 05:06
Bob,

Would that apply to the C600 as well?

Kumar

RPNugent
30-Sep-2010, 05:42
I don't know if the legs used are identical or not. Reis standing behind their product is a certainty. My reason for responding was the earlier comment about wobbly legs. on the packable Reis. They recognized a problem and fixed it. Not sure when the other poster bought his wobbly one, but mine was in 1994 so it's long since been recognized and fixed.

John Powers
30-Sep-2010, 06:12
You have mentioned two different cameras and a scanning back. Does your weight estimate include a lens? Is it a large enough lens to really matter? I have some light lenses and I had a 210mm SSXL with it's own suitcase.

I have a J600 - J250 double tilt and find it can be a little touch and go with an 8 lb Phillips 8x10 and a 12" Dagor lens. One's definition of stable can range from concrete block to hanging from a wire. My Phillips 7x17 on an A100 - A250 double tilt is solid like concrete block. UGH!

What is your goal? It is all about compromise; weight is often a factor of stability. Have you considered carrying an empty bag which you fill on the spot with rocks, dirt, sand, then suspend from the tripod head?

John

B.S.Kumar
30-Sep-2010, 06:22
John,

Thanks for giving this some thought. I was first wondering whether the C600 would be suitable for a Sinar X with a scanning back. The replies here make me feel that it might not be a good idea. In any case, if I'm lugging around the Sinar, I'm not going to be hiking, and I can get the Slik or Gitzo.

So now I want to know if I can use it with my Wista metal field camera, again with a scanning back. My lenses top out at 240mm, and aren't very heavy, though I've recently acquired a couple of Fujinars in the big Copal 3 shutters.

And yes, I do carry an empty bag to fill with sand to weigh down the tripod.

So should I get this tripod, or not??

Kumar

routlaw
30-Sep-2010, 06:51
John,

Thanks for giving this some thought. I was first wondering whether the C600 would be suitable for a Sinar X with a scanning back. The replies here make me feel that it might not be a good idea. In any case, if I'm lugging around the Sinar, I'm not going to be hiking, and I can get the Slik or Gitzo.

So now I want to know if I can use it with my Wista metal field camera, again with a scanning back. My lenses top out at 240mm, and aren't very heavy, though I've recently acquired a couple of Fujinars in the big Copal 3 shutters.

Kumar

Kumar

I know Mike Collette uses a Ries tripod, sorry can't remember the model number exactly and he really likes them with the Ebony and Betterlight. Several times however he told me they were a bit cumbersome and heavy for the type of work he did in the field. Not familiar with the Sinar X, regardless though I doubt you would have problems using a Ries with your setup.

Now all that said, have you looked at the new Really Right Stuff Carbon fiber tripods? If not I can't recommend them enough. Over the years I have owned by now what must be at least a dozen different tripods including several CF Gitzo's. Lets put it this way after buying & using the RRS Versa I will never buy or use another Gitzo again. The Versa is very solid, very light, very stable and way easier to use than anything else I have owned. Machining and engineering are absolutely first class. I use it with a Zone VI and my BL in the field and if anything its overkill. Highly recommended!!

Hope this helps.

Rob

John Powers
30-Sep-2010, 13:38
John,

And yes, I do carry an empty bag to fill with sand to weigh down the tripod.

Kumar

Kumar,

I believe in using my best equipment for the task as comfortably as possible. Compromises in equipment will show in your work just as being exhausted will cause you to make choices that compromise your work. If you feel the Sinar will help you produce your best work then transport it in a way that will not exhaust you or cause the operator to shake. As you will see in the second page of this thread I am 70 years old and carry my gear in a baby jogger or a truck. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10281&highlight=stroller

“So should I get this tripod, or not?” I don’t make your decisions. I offer my best most sincere advice from my perspective. It may or may not fit your circumstances.

John

Drew Wiley
30-Sep-2010, 14:02
You brought up another point. No 3 shutter do cause more vibration than smaller shutters, and this too should affect your choice of tripod support.

B.S.Kumar
30-Sep-2010, 14:18
John, again, thanks for giving some thought to this. I too try to use the most appropriate equipment for the job. The Sinar and Wista both have their place. I wouldn't dream of using the Wista for architecture or interior photography, and the Sinar would soon become a burden on a hike.

Drew, the Betterlight only requires the shutter to be open. It doesn't have to be tripped, so shutter vibration is not a factor. The scanning motor causes vibration while the scan is taking place.

Kumar

frednewman
30-Sep-2010, 14:37
Hi BS Kumar - If you are looking at Ries Tripods you want a tripod with the Tri-Lock feature and the H100 is what I recommend. If you want maximum stability the H100-2 is even more solid and stable and will support just about anything. I never like the tripods with out the Tri-Lock feature - just not as solid. Using a Betterlight back with minimum exposures of 30 seconds you want your tripod as steady as possible. The legs that screw together a good but the one piece are better.

Fred Newman

B.S.Kumar
30-Sep-2010, 14:48
Fred,yes, of course I want stability. But I also want compact, so that leaves out the J100 or the H100-2. My Slik and Gitzo are in that weight/folded length range, and are very stable, so I don't want to duplicate them.

Kumar