PDA

View Full Version : My first LF camera

bbtheking
29-Sep-2010, 11:22
Hello everyone. I'm a college student and just finished my LF course and LOVED IT! Funny thing is that I realized why I was so frustrated with 35mm. So, I'm converting to MF and LF. Seems like everything I've wanted. Now......... Here's the question. Since this is my first purchase, I don't want to spend a ton of money in it. I want to purchase a good solid 4x5, used preferably. I've looked at it seems like 4 front runners for me but I really don't know the advantages and disadvantages to any of these.

1) Toyo: We used these at school and they worked well and did what I wanted.

2) Cambo: I know nothing

3) Horseman: I can get one for a very good price that's in very good shape. I've looked at the "EM" model... This is my front runner. It has an extended monorail too.

4) Sinar: I've looked at the F1, and C models but don't really know how they stack up to any of the others.

Gem Singer
29-Sep-2010, 12:00
I sent you a PM.

Don't make your final choice until after you have talked to some of the DFW large format users.

ki6mf
29-Sep-2010, 18:06
Also consider some of the wooden field cameras. The Shen Hao and Chamonix are very popular and you can find used Wista & Takahara etc on line or in the for sale in this forum. Wooden field camera bodies are more expensive than rail view cameras like the Cambo! If camera movements are not a consideration a Speed or Crown graphic can be had too.

Thalmees
30-Sep-2010, 02:12
Hi,
Apart from Weight(mobility), Sturdiness(stability during exposure), Price and Size, SINAR cameras has a bracket less design. That gives it two important advantages:
1) Being Yaw free. Please search to know what the significance of Yaw free design.
2) Focusing only needs One point plus focusing area(P2; P; C2; C), Or, Two points plus micrometer(F2; F), to determine the optimal focusing plane in the image area. Both, are much precise and easier than other scenarios.
Horseman has L bracket design, which should be heavier than comparable format of the bracket less design/Sinar.
Sinar is not a light weight camera, BUT definitely, not the heaviest one also.
Good Luck.