PDA

View Full Version : Singh Ray 2GHS ND filter plactic/resin?

l2oBiN
28-Sep-2010, 11:38
I have purchased a singh ray 2 stop hard stop ND grad and I was suprised with what I have received... a plastic type filter. These arent glass right? They are some sort of resin? It also seems to have some flex in it....To me they feel like the coking filters...can someone confirm that singhray nd grads are not glass but rather a flexible sort of resin?

Policar
28-Sep-2010, 12:12
Yup, uncoated plastic.

There are, however, at least more neutral than the (often dreadful) alternatives.

Steve Hamley
28-Sep-2010, 16:13
Yep. uncoated plastic, but neutral as are the Lee filters.

Attached is a jpeg of an image I did 2 weeks ago on Roan Mountain using the exact same filter you reference, a Singh Ray 2 stop hard ND grad.

Use it and enjoy it.

Cheers, Steve

Lynn Jones
29-Sep-2010, 13:12
There are real advantages to Dr. Bob Singh's approach. When you dye a resin filter, you can get perfect or near erfect results, thin materias without altering the lens performance.

Dyed-in-Mass glass is just about the worst possible approach, no two mixes are the same and so altering the coating is necessary to fine tune the result. Usually they are also fairly thick which actually changes the focal length of the lens.

Glass and gel filter sandwichs are too thick and will often discolor or bubble up.

Lynn