PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated 4x5 or reducing back?

Scott --
27-Sep-2010, 12:21
Hi, all -

I've divested myself of 8x10 gear in preparation to shoot 4x5. Now, I'd intended to buy a dedicated, modern 4x5 field camera, but am eyeballing my Seneca Competitor 5x7 with Graflok back, and I'm debating the necessity of the separate 4x5 cam. The Competitor has front rise/fall/shift, and rear tilt/swing. Draw on the 5x7 is limited to 14", but I'm unaware of what typical draw is on a modern 4x5. So, aside from front tilt and possibly divergent draw lengths, is there a reason to invest in a dedicated 4x5? That money could buy a lot of film... :rolleyes:

Scott

IanG
27-Sep-2010, 12:45
Just over 12" is about normal on a 5x4 field camera, I can use a 300mm on my Wista 45DX but close focusing is limited.

You've highlighted the weak link the lack of front tilt, the other issues might be if you want to use wide angle lenses, whether the bellows compress sufficiently.

It's only a little bit larger & heavier than a 5x4 so why not try it first see how you get on, you can make a reducing back easily.

Ian

jeroldharter
27-Sep-2010, 17:31
I have similar issues. I love my Wehman 8x10 which makes a great 4x5 camera for lenses 135-600. I can use a 90, but uncomfortably. I also have an Arca which is excellent for ultrawide to 300, but it would cost an additional $3 million to outfit the Arca for a 600mm lens.

I suggest you try it with the reduction back and see what you think. At worst, it would be an inexpensive mistake.

aduncanson
28-Sep-2010, 07:12
Despite the often stated rationalization that a 5x7 camera is not physically much larger than a 4x5, really they do take up significantly more volume. Furthermore, a case that will carry a 4x5 camera, with the necessary miscellany and a score of film holders may hold only half a dozen 5x7 holders with the camera and miscellany. Reviewing some photos of the Seneca Competitor on line, it seems to not be a particularly compact or transportable camera. I would suggest asking yourself if the camera's size or weight would discourage you from taking it along all of the times and places (and modes of transportation) that you might take a compact 4x5 camera. Of course, if you have no interest in photographing outside of the studio, then the answer is simple. By standardizing on Technika type or other small lens boards and adapting the Seneca to accept them, you can easily swap lenses between the 4x5 and 5x7 cameras.

Drew Bedo
28-Sep-2010, 08:48
I used to have a B&J 5x7 with a 4x5 back. I shot 4x5 exclusivly with it. It worked great. with the extension rail mounted, it would do super macro. I now use a petite Wista Mfg Zone VI with 12" max extension. It is half the weight and bulk (and I am 20 years older). I have never looked on any camera as ?"The One" camera for me. If iwas single, I would still have every camera I have ever owned. If the price is right for you, get the 5x7 and shoot aay . . .till yiou want a different camera be it 4x5, 8x10 or ULF.

Scott --
28-Sep-2010, 10:12
Just to clarify, I have the Competitor (which, compared to the 8x10 I've been lugging around, is a featherweight) and have the Graflok 4x5 back already. I'm deciding between using the gear I already have (which, minus the front tilt, seems comparable or better in draw, comparable in portability) and a dedicated modern 4x5 (with the tilts and somewhat smaller packing size).

Given the cost of film these days, versus the cost of a new camera, I'm leaning now toward using the 5x7 with Graflok for the time being, understanding that the likely outcome will be that I shoot mainly 5x7 Arista and 4x5 exotic films, which are much less expensive and available in that format (IR, orthochromatics, etc...).

Thanks for the input, everyone.