PDA

View Full Version : Reinforcing the Korona extention

ericantonio
27-Sep-2010, 09:56
Hi folks,
The extension rail on my Korona 8x10 is starting to sag. I use a lightstand to keep it up when I have the bellows out 12" or more. But I need some ideas to keep it from sagging much. Sometimes, the lightstand is in the way.

Richard Rankin
27-Sep-2010, 10:30
Somewhere I have some of those small, long Korona rails that I think are for that purpose. Maybe someone else here knows for sure. I had it in my head they were for a banquet camera but maybe they are for regular cameras as well.

Richard

ericantonio
27-Sep-2010, 11:56
Somewhere I have some of those small, long Korona rails that I think are for that purpose. Maybe someone else here knows for sure. I had it in my head they were for a banquet camera but maybe they are for regular cameras as well.

Richard

What do those do? Trying to picture it in my head. Those Koronas aren't designed too well. I'm using a heavy 12" Ektar and I can see it sagging. Its like 90 years old though. The lightstand trick works but that's gets tiring.

Scott --
27-Sep-2010, 12:42
The Korona rails attach to the undersides of the front bed, center block, and rear extension. Like a straight brace that goes along the bottom of everything. The ones I've seen attached with kind of a slotted thingy kinda thing. Hmm - lookit the B&W picture (http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/gundlach/view.htm) - it's the piece under the bed.

ericantonio
27-Sep-2010, 13:29
The Korona rails attach to the undersides of the front bed, center block, and rear extension. Like a straight brace that goes along the bottom of everything. The ones I've seen attached with kind of a slotted thingy kinda thing. Hmm - lookit the B&W picture (http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/gundlach/view.htm) - it's the piece under the bed.

Ohhhh, hmmmm, I wonder if I have that piece!

Richard Rankin
27-Sep-2010, 13:59
Those are the kind of things I used to have lying around here somewhere....
Richard

John Cahill
27-Sep-2010, 15:13
Hi folks,
The extension rail on my Korona 8x10 is starting to sag. I use a lightstand to keep it up when I have the bellows out 12" or more. But I need some ideas to keep it from sagging much. Sometimes, the lightstand is in the way.
I made a support for my 5x7 Ansco in the form of a piece of good-quality luan plywood
with a center-mounted ''T'' fitting to take the tripod screw from my ball head. It both supports the frame (which is quite rigid in any case) and moves the center of gravity more towards the center of the extended camera.

IanMazursky
27-Sep-2010, 15:31
I cant remember if the 8x10 korona has a tripod socket in the extension but if it does, here is what i would use.
A Tripod Accessory Arm (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552742-REG/Manfrotto_131DDB_131DDB_Tripod_Accessory_Arm.html), it has 2 tripod sockets on an arm.
The arm goes onto your tripod and supports both the camera and the extensions. At worst a small hole drilled into the extension should be enough to support it.
This works perfectly for my 12x20 Korona but can probably be adapted to work for an 8x10 and 4x5/5x7 Korona’s.

EdWorkman
27-Sep-2010, 15:52
IIRC Steve Hostetter had a recent post featuring similar thingies - and I think he fabricated them

bvaughn4
27-Sep-2010, 16:29
I wondered for a long time what those pieces were. They came with my Gunglach 8x10, but unfortunately, there was no extension! If anyone has an extension they'd part with, please PM me.

Richard Rankin
28-Sep-2010, 15:41
I found those rails like in the photo Scott posted. They are slightly over 12" long and have have two screws on each rail that go into the undercarriage of the camera/extension, each about 4 7/8" from the end.
Richard

ericantonio
29-Sep-2010, 09:15
I found those rails like in the photo Scott posted. They are slightly over 12" long and have have two screws on each rail that go into the undercarriage of the camera/extension, each about 4 7/8" from the end.
Richard

Hmmm, I need to look underside to see if there are screw holes in there. I was just thinking of getting like 1/2 squre tubing from Home Depot and some small C-clamps.

Jim Noel
29-Sep-2010, 09:24
The underside of my 7x17 Korona has slots for the round screw heads which are on the support rods. The slots extend into the base about 3/8".

imagedowser
29-Sep-2010, 12:28
I think Steve H. makes them or made them... A set came with my black 8x10 Korona also my 8x20 Banquet Korona... they work great and are a "must have"

ericantonio
29-Sep-2010, 12:58
I think Steve H. makes them or made them... A set came with my black 8x10 Korona also my 8x20 Banquet Korona... they work great and are a "must have"

I came home for lunch and looked. My Korona doesn't have those holes underside the rails. Bummer.

John Koehrer
29-Sep-2010, 13:00
If the bottom of the bed is thin enough a simple "U" channel could work.
I've used shelf supports to make a drying rack from simple wall mount hardware cut to size. The channel is about 3/4" on the inside, if that's too wide fill the gap with thin wood from the crafty store. Simply slip them in place, hold them with a piece of gaffer tape.

ericantonio
29-Sep-2010, 13:07
If the bottom of the bed is thin enough a simple "U" channel could work.
I've used shelf supports to make a drying rack from simple wall mount hardware cut to size. The channel is about 3/4" on the inside, if that's too wide fill the gap with thin wood from the crafty store. Simply slip them in place, hold them with a piece of gaffer tape.

Yah, thinking of some sort of McGuyver system. I'm thinking either a 1/2" or 1" square aluminum tubing from Home Depot. I like the gaffer tape idea. Maybe zip ties will work too?

DarkroomDan
29-Sep-2010, 14:32
The underside of my 7x17 Korona has slots for the round screw heads which are on the support rods. The slots extend into the base about 3/8".

My 5x12 has these slots in the base also. Until now I had no idea what they were for. I don't have the support rods but, now that I know what I need, they should be pretty easy to make.

Dan

Richard Rankin
29-Sep-2010, 14:45
If anyone needs these 'real' rails, they are welcome to them for a couple of bucks and shipping.
Richard

ericantonio
29-Sep-2010, 20:49
I'm naming my next kid "McGuyver" :) I'll reinforce it with some A clamps on the other end.

ericantonio
29-Sep-2010, 20:49
I'm naming my next kid "McGuyver" :) I'll reinforce it with some A clamps on the other end.

I'm so dangerous with a Dremel!!!

Tracy Storer
29-Sep-2010, 21:13
... Those Koronas aren't designed too well. I'm using a heavy 12" Ektar and I can see it sagging. Its like 90 years old though....

Designed beautifully, but lightly built, it's like saying a steam locomotive is poorly designed because you can't parallel park it in Manhattan.

DarkroomDan
30-Sep-2010, 09:17
If anyone needs these 'real' rails, they are welcome to them for a couple of bucks and shipping.
Richard

Richard,

If they are still available, I would like them. PM to follow.

Dan