PDA

View Full Version : Golden bush camera. Anyone ??

alex from holland
27-Sep-2010, 01:28
Hi all,

At the moment i am looking for a sturdy and reliable 8 x 10 camera for my outise wetplate photography.
The following golden bush camera is offered to me but i hardly can find any info about golden bush
Are there any GB users overhere who can give me some more info ?

http://upload.pbase.com/image/128867698/original.jpg

Thanks

Alex

Steven Tribe
27-Sep-2010, 02:00
I could find absolutely nothing about this!
With this kind of name it must be Chinese. A simple, no nonsense, design. The various lock down knobs/threads must be really solid to maintain rigidity after a few years of use.
It wouldn't surprise me if this was made by someone who now goes under another name (Shen Hao?).

Later: An extra "c" makes a big difference! There are lots of threads here.

IanG
27-Sep-2010, 03:02
There was a website about the cameras and also the de Golden Busch lenses that were made for Douglas Busch as well.

Here's the link. (http://www.superlarge.com/deGoldenBusch/)

This was an independent venture not linked to other camera makers. There's been contact with the owner & details posted somewhere on this site about a year ago.

Ian

jnantz
27-Sep-2010, 03:43
years ago i remember someone here bought one of these cameras.
it was beautiful, built well ( like a tank ) and really heavy ...

Jim Noel
27-Sep-2010, 08:03
Doug Busch built these cameras up to 12x20. Yes, they are substantially built. He had the lenses made in France. I am in group photograph which he made with the 12x20 at American Flats.

Frank Petronio
27-Sep-2010, 08:12
I had an early one of his and while it was very heavy and had nice wood and joinery, it was not well built for actual use, it was very crude -- the absolutely worst camera I've ever experienced (and I've tried a lot). I am sure Doug is a nice guy and perhaps his later models were improved upon but I would be very cautious. FWIW I paid about $300 for a lovely Oak and Brass 8x10. I think I sold it for $100 by virtue of being somewhat honest and I still felt bad about it.

I think the Brass hardware came off a Naval gun, it was rough and oversize for a camera.

The one in the photos looks quite a bit newer and better but I would still demo it before committing.