PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger Lens: Need Recommendations

FLC
26-Sep-2010, 16:07
I have a Saunders LPL Super Dichroic 4500-II enlarger with VCCE head. I use the enlarger primarily for 4X5.

Needs recommendations for top quality lens (new, used, vintage).

Have heard that Ektar lenses are really good (?).

Thanks for your suggestions.

jeroldharter
26-Sep-2010, 16:12
Used enlarger lenses are very inexpensive now. Unless there is some special effect that you want from an older lens, then buy a newer model: 150mm Rodagon, Componon, Nikkor. All should be good. The Apo-Rodagons and Apo-Componons command a premium price but I can see a difference on a 16x20 black and white print between a regular Rodagon and an Apo-Componon.

ic-racer
26-Sep-2010, 17:46
This is the short list. There are others these are easy to remember:
Look for a 135mm or 150mm marked with any of the following:
Componon or Componon-S
Rodagon
Nikkor
Fujinon EX
Fujinon EP

Avoid these unless you are making 20x enlargements by projecting on the wall:
Rodagon G
Apo-Componon HM

philosomatographer
27-Sep-2010, 03:22
I have a Saunders LPL Super Dichroic 4500-II enlarger with VCCE head. I use the enlarger primarily for 4X5.

Needs recommendations for top quality lens (new, used, vintage).

Have heard that Ektar lenses are really good (?).

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have used a couple of older enlarging lenses (Rodenstock Rodagons, Schneiders - none of the APO models, but rather 1970s vintage stuff) but the one lens that consistently impresses me is the EL-Nikkor 135mm f/5.6. I don't think I'll ever use another enlarging lens for 4x5in.

It seems to simply have some extra "oomph" in terms of contrast, and absolutely excellent, consistent resolution corner-to-corner (even wide open) above and beyond what I've seen from the other lenses I've used.

Highly recommended, and well-made (no plastic whatsoever, firm but smooth click stops for easy feeling in the dark, etc).

Mark Sampson
27-Sep-2010, 07:44
The Kodak Enlarging Ektars are quite sharp, but lower in contrast than the more modern designs mentioned above. Not surprising, as they are 1950s designs. It's worth noting, as well, that most of the modern lenses use the common 39mm thread mount. The Kodaks are all individually-sized, so that actually putting one on your enlarger is a little more difficult.

jp
28-Sep-2010, 05:29
I'm also using a EL-Nikkor 135mm f/5.6 and concur that it is a good lens choice based on some 16x20's I've printed recently from 4x5 B&W negatives.

Previously my enlarger had a wollensak 163ish mm enlarger lens which had poor contrast in comparison.

I use a componon-S for 35mm and 120 printing and like that, but have not tried the versions for 4x5.

mark e mark
3-Oct-2010, 10:58
I agree with jeroldharter, so much so I have purchased afew lens for 4x5 second hand.
My findings. The worst ones, which I passed on, (one given to a friend (for peanuts) which was the old nikkor 135mm scalloped barrel - which he found better than the lens he was using! - don't know what that was), the other a 70s rodagon 135mm. However I now have in 135mm, a companon- s, a newer rodagon and nikkor and a compoanon-s in 150mm. To be honest, it is incredibly tough to separate then on quality. I find the rodagon more contrasty, which on my Blumfield condenser enlarger, can be a little too much.

Tom Monego
3-Oct-2010, 18:53
I had a 100mm Componon and a 150 Componon both of which I was happy with. I had a 135 Nikor at work that was fine too. Hard to tell the quality apart. My first 4x5 enlarging lens was an old 163mm Wollensak Velostigmat which was quite soft.

Tom