PDA

View Full Version : Surprised: Micro translucent dots on Schneider Componon-S 4/80 enlarger lens

FLC
25-Sep-2010, 20:17
Was cleaning my lenses tonight and observed numerous translucent micro dots on my Schneider Componon-S 4.80 enlarger lens. These are not air bubbles in the glass. These micro dots have an appearance I would liken to very fine hair spray mist left on glass (such as is often found on my wife's makeup mirror, though these dots are much smaller than hair spray mist). These micro dots (probably about 50 dispersed sort of evenly across the surface of the lens) are not on the outer, accessible surfaces of the lens; they appear to be on the interior surface of only the front lens group.

Question:

1) What are these micro dots?

2) How do I clean them off?

Note: None of my other Schneider enlarger lenses have these micro dots. All of my Schneider lenses were purchased new 7 years ago. The micro dots were only found on the lens which has been mounted for a number of years on my 4X5 enlarger. My darkroom is air conditioned 24/7/365 and is not routinely humid.

Shen45
25-Sep-2010, 21:23
Do you know for certain that the dots weren't there all along? And more importantly -- has there been any change in the lens behaviour. Less sharp, more sharp.

It may not be anything to be concerned about whereas on the other hand it may infect every piece of photographic gear you have and the wider continental United States, given time. Maybe that last bit was an exaggeration. Just all your gear.

Who knows for certain. Post some photos.

Vaughn
25-Sep-2010, 21:59
We have 19 enlargers with either Nikkors, Schneiders or Rodenstocks. The Schneiders seem to mold internally first of the 3 brands.