PDA

View Full Version : Ballhead suggestions

Rider
25-Sep-2010, 16:01
I currently use a Kirk BH-1 (with the old style Quick Release clamp).

Is there anything out there that's smaller, lighter and just as good?

I have a light-weight wood camera and a DSLR.

I have an old-style Gitzo G1228 Mk2.

jeroldharter
25-Sep-2010, 18:52
For light weight, check out Acratech and the Arca Swiss Z1.

Peter De Smidt
25-Sep-2010, 19:01
Really Right Stuff makes some pretty good look'n ballheads. A pro I assist for has one of their biggest ball heads, and it's really nice. In your case, though, the mid-sized one might be just the thing.

Greg Miller
25-Sep-2010, 19:47
I have the RRS BH-55 head and it is by far the best ball head I have used. It weighs about 1/4 pound less that the Kirk but is probably very similar in size.

Stepping down to a BH-40 would save you 17 oz. (13 oz. vs. 30 oz.) and would be considerably smaller than the Kirk.

I also recommend the lever clamps. Super fast to mount/dismount your camera but super secure hold.

Preston
25-Sep-2010, 19:49
I have a Kaiser Medium ball head with an Arca clamp. It works wonderfully for my Tachihara, my Mamiya 645E, and D-70. It's not fancy, but it's well-built and gets the job done.

I haven't checked on availability as mine is a few years old. I got it at Keeble & Schucat in Palo Alto, CA.

--P

Mike Anderson
25-Sep-2010, 20:50
I haven't handled one myself but Markins ballheads get rave reviews in other photo forums.

...Mike

Rider
25-Sep-2010, 22:01
It looks like there are quite a few alternatives. Peliminary decision: the RRS BH-40 looks promising. It's rated at 18 pounds. Would you feel comfortable putting a Wisner wood 4x5 on it?

bobwysiwyg
26-Sep-2010, 03:28
What are the advantages of a ball head over a pan head? I struggle with ball heads.:confused:

Peter De Smidt
26-Sep-2010, 07:22
It looks like there are quite a few alternatives. Peliminary decision: the RRS BH-40 looks promising. It's rated at 18 pounds. Would you feel comfortable putting a Wisner wood 4x5 on it?

Yes.

Peter De Smidt
26-Sep-2010, 07:22
What are the advantages of a ball head over a pan head? I struggle with ball heads.:confused:

Maybe start another thread to avoid de-railing this one?

bobwysiwyg
26-Sep-2010, 07:47
My apologies, I will do that.

Brian Ellis
26-Sep-2010, 09:26
If you end up with a Really Right Stuff head I'll second Greg's recommendation to get the lever clamp version rather than the Arca clamp. I got the Arca version because I owned two other cameras that used Arca QR plates and I wanted the head to be compatible with them. Now I no longer own those cameras and I watch my friends easily and quickly getting their cameras on and off the head using their lever clamps while I struggle getting my camera into and out of the Arca clamp. Not to mention the fact that I've had a camera fall off the head twice when I thought I had the Arca style clamp tightened on the QR plate but hadn't.

Peter De Smidt
26-Sep-2010, 09:49
Both are Arca style quick releases. One is a lever style, and the other is a knob style. Arca themselves offer both types. I've never had a problem with the knob style, but I have had some clearance issues with the lever style, but that's probably a rare problem.

Rider
26-Sep-2010, 09:52
So with the lever style release on the RRS BH-40, I would need to get new plates? (I have QR plates right now).

Rider
26-Sep-2010, 11:39
Checked RRS website for BH-40 again.

It looks like both the LR version (lever clamp) and the Pro and the Pro II versions (screw clamp) use regular QR plates.

There is LR II version that has a larger clamp with a spirit level. I see this one causing clearance issues. I guess any of them could have clearance issues.

Biggest problem is cost; I already have Kirk BH-1 which is adequate but bigger and heavier. If I can sell it, then maybe upgrading (aka downgrading) makes sense. But in reality I would need to keep BH-1 in case I use a big lens... I'll decide when I have to!

Thanks for your help!

zx9
26-Sep-2010, 13:42
Yes.

I have just started using a RRS BH40 with medium format and 4x5 F2 Sinar, my previous ball head was a Manfrotto rated at 8Kg. I will admit that the F2 is not that heavy but the BH40 has coped with some extreme angles of tilt that would have caused the Manfrotto to 'sag' somewhat.
I am much happier with a conservative RRS rating than I was with a (IMO) optimistic Manfrotto rating, and the RRS is smaller and lighter too.

Matus Kalisky
27-Sep-2010, 05:58
Since about 2 years I am using a Photo Clam Ball head (size 36 if I remember correctly) with my 4x5 setup (Tachi with lenses up to 400mm) and it is as stable as I may ask. Together with the tripod (Feisol CT-3442) the weight is 1.4kg - I guess it does not get any lighter.
For stability I would only wish for a more stable camera. The tripod and ball head is fine.

The only thing is that I would prefer the panning lock to be a bit better. It locks fine but it could need a bit less force (I guess it is a matter of design). Otherwise the ball head is smooth and locks securely. The quick release system is good too. RRS plate I use with Mamiya 6 fits perfectly.

Check out http://reallybigcameras.com/ Kerry was very helpful with my choice too.

rdenney
27-Sep-2010, 09:03
I have just started using a RRS BH40 with medium format and 4x5 F2 Sinar...

I predict a Sinar tilt-head in your future. For Sinar cameras, there's just no better solution.

Rick "who bought an extra set of legs just for that head and camera" Denney

Peter De Smidt
27-Sep-2010, 10:43
I predict a Sinar tilt-head in your future. For Sinar cameras, there's just no better solution.

I sent him a private message saying the same thing. :)

Rider
27-Sep-2010, 13:52
I might keep using the Kirk BH-1. This stuff is so expensive compared to the cameras and lenses that I really don't have the luxury of upgrading.

I wonder how practical it is not to use a head at all. I need to check whether I can mount the camera directly to a spare center post. Probably works better with something other than the Gitzo screw lock legs.

Jeff Keller
27-Sep-2010, 14:16
Caution ... the RRS lever clamp is sensitive to the plate size. Not all RRS plates will work with the lever clamp. Some Kirk plates work, some don't. The knob screw type clamp will work with a much wider variation. If you buy new plates from RRS, phone them and ask if the plates you want to buy work with their lever clamps. Their advice isn't perfect but it's worth a phone call.

I've also had several instances of cameras slipping when I thought the knob was tight. The PhotoClam head I bought later has a larger rubber covered knob which so far I've never had the same problem with.

I second jeroldharter's comment that the Acratech is good especially if you care about weight. If I don't want to deal with the weight of the PhotoClam gear drive head, I use an Acratech.

Jeff Keller

Ian David
27-Sep-2010, 15:05
I second jeroldharter's comment that the Acratech is good especially if you care about weight.

Ditto. I am a huge fan of the Acratech heads.

Ian

Rider
28-Sep-2010, 18:21
The Arcatechs are scary looking. What are they exactly?

Ditto. I am a huge fan of the Acratech heads.

Ian

Jeff Keller
29-Sep-2010, 09:49
The "Ultimate" ballhead is the earliest design. Nearly all of models are ball heads which hold the ball in position using a clamp mounted to a "C" shaped frame. The open design is very good at keeping dirt and other things from interfering with the smooth action of the ball. http://www.acratech.net/ The action of the Acratech is definitely smoother than the RRS BH-25 that I have or any of the Manfrotto heads I've used.

I've used both the "Ultimate" and the "GV" with: Canham MQC57, Horseman VHR, & SLRs. The only time I had a problem was with a 1000mm (standard telephoto, 26" long 4kg) lens with an SLR in strong wind. I believe the problem was due to an undersized Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. I haven't been in the same conditions with the new heavier tripod legs (which have a geared PhotoClam Multiflex head on them most of the time).

Being able to effectively use both an LF camera and an SLR on the same tripod is important to me. I use an SLR both as a light meter and for taking pictures for which the LF camera isn't well suited.

Jeff Keller

Kermit Burroughs
29-Sep-2010, 10:11
I got a Z1 a few years ago, with their lever clamp. I somehow broke the lock on that lever in one trip. Ended up not liking that lever anyway. I've replaced the clamp with one from RRS. It is much better, but the Z1 ballhead is fine itself.

Rider
29-Sep-2010, 13:33
Being able to effectively use both an LF camera and an SLR on the same tripod is important to me.

Jeff Keller

What tripod do you find suitable for that?

Jeff Keller
29-Sep-2010, 18:00
I'm using Gitso 3540LS (no center column) legs. They weigh just under 4 lbs. I've been using a PhotoClam Multiflex geared head most of the time, but I occaisionally swap to the Acratech GV head to save about a pound. The small lightweight head looks a little odd on the fat CF legs but it works well.

The previous legs were Gitzo 1227 with the rapid column (about 2.5 lbs).They worked okay for my Horseman VHR and most of my SLR gear including my 400mm f4 but the long heavy 1000mm lens danced in the wind.

I have L brackets on my SLRs so although I want more tilt than the typical leveling head gives, I don't need to flop the head over 90 degrees to get portrait mode with an SLR.

The 3540 legs work well. If I take the head off they will fit into a suitcase (just under 22") but they get the tripod head up to about 60".

What tripod do you find suitable for that?

Brian Stein
14-Oct-2010, 17:09
As a happy markins user I can second the comment made higher up about them. I find the small head (Q3 IIRC ) which is about 285g to be more than adequate for 4x5 use.

I choose the arca screw over the lever because of potential issues with plates not fitting, again as discussed above. I have happily purchased the chinese or home made plates off ebay for substantial saving over the name brand plates, and find them just as servicable as the name brand plates that I own. It may be quicker to use lever setup, but you still have to be very sure the plate is properly engaged!

Joseph Dickerson
11-Nov-2011, 09:25
Another vote for the RRS BH40 (lever clamp).

Worked great with my Shen Hao and still using it for my Sinar F1.

I also have a BH55 and it's not seeing much use anymore.

The folks at RRS are very conservative with their published weight recommendations.

JD

ROL
11-Nov-2011, 09:27
I might keep using the Kirk BH-1. This stuff is so expensive compared to the cameras and lenses that I really don't have the luxury of upgrading.

Amen to that. I didn't realize so many others used the Acratech heads. I've used the sub 1 lb. Acratech for my 5X7 for years (on Gitzo Mountaineer), including backpacking. I also have a Acratech QR plate to mount my MF, as well. I just purchased the smallest plate so that I can use my 10 oz. digital P&S on the same tripod!

From the sublime to the ridiculous – recently I saw a Flip Cam mounted on a 40 lb. dollied studio tripod with a hydraulic head.:eek:

Ivan J. Eberle
11-Nov-2011, 15:04
I like lever operated ballheads but I'm not a fan of the RRS lever clamps for Arca. Better and faster even than a lever type Q/R is a snap-in, snap out Q/R. I became a big believer when using long expensive telephotos; not long after I became a convert to safety catches for the Q/R when I dropped a 300mm f/2.8 off my shoulder-hoisted tripod, once. (I did this once and only once, thank goodness that there was minimal damage.)

My complaint about the RRS and Kirk designs is there's nothing to keep the lever from opening up if it should snag a twig or brush (common problem when stalking wildlife, a bit less of a problem for LF perhaps, but my ballheads get dual use).

The only snap-in Arca style Q/R at the time I bought mine is the the one I've got, the Novoflex Q-plate. It snaps in and them cinches very tight with a turn of the locking collar, and has a safety stop dowel pin so that your camera or lens won't fall if it's not locked down. I'm a bit more ambivalent about the Classic 5 Ballhead that I've got it mounted to, but this works well enough for everything up to 4x5 folders.

The other Q/R to impress me (only lever one I've seen with a lever safety catch) is the newer style Arca Swiss Z-1, which I'd have bought instead if it had been available at the time. I'd like to see them round the sharp square corners and edges of their Q/R base, however. Too many occasions of whacking the back of my head with a tripod while out hiking not to notice such a design oversight. (The Novoflex, to it's credit, has a round base plate.)

Bob Salomon
11-Nov-2011, 15:51
Ivan,

Yours is the Novoflex Q=Base. It takes Arca type plate and Novoflex calls their plates Q plates.

Greg Miller
11-Nov-2011, 17:25
My complaint about the RRS and Kirk designs is there's nothing to keep the lever from opening up if it should snag a twig or brush (common problem when stalking wildlife, a bit less of a problem for LF perhaps, but my ballheads get dual use).

I have logged countless hours and miles bushwhacking through dense eastern forest with my tripod/camera draped over my shoulder. I have ripped socks, pants, shirts, and skin on dense growth. But have never had even a close encounter with my RRS lever coming unlatched - it is hard for me to conceive of this ever happening.

Steve M Hostetter
12-Nov-2011, 01:15
The new Gitzo cobalt center ballheads..

Bruce Watson
12-Nov-2011, 10:27
Since about 2 years I am using a Photo Clam Ball head (size 36 if I remember correctly) with my 4x5 setup (Tachi with lenses up to 400mm) and it is as stable as I may ask. Together with the tripod (Feisol CT-3442) the weight is 1.4kg - I guess it does not get any lighter.

I'm using a Gitzo G1227 mk2 with a Arca Swiss B1. Comes in at 2.3 kg. It was a light rig at the time (before Feisol, before many of the current ball heads), but you beat it by nearly a kilo.

Not that I'm going to do anything about it, but it's interesting to note that I could save almost a kilo by switching. Sigh...

Lenny Eiger
12-Nov-2011, 11:32
I got a Novoflex with a QBase from Bob Salomon and I am amazed at how well it works. The quality of workmanship is exquisite, its beautiful to look at, has a tensioning adjustment so you can get the way it moves just right for you - or adjust for a heavier lens. I prefer a three way head for my LF's but I moved down to the smaller head for my Mamiya 7 II. It's just fabulous, can't say enough good about it. Bob has always steered me in the right direction.

Lenny

P.S. In case any of you decide to buy one I have a couple of extra plates for sale...

Brian Ellis
12-Nov-2011, 12:01
I like lever operated ballheads but I'm not a fan of the RRS lever clamps for Arca. Better and faster even than a lever type Q/R is a snap-in, snap out Q/R. I became a big believer when using long expensive telephotos; not long after I became a convert to safety catches for the Q/R when I dropped a 300mm f/2.8 off my shoulder-hoisted tripod, once. (I did this once and only once, thank goodness that there was minimal damage.)

The only snap-in Arca style Q/R at the time I bought mine is the the one I've got, the Novoflex Q-plate. It snaps in and them cinches very tight with a turn of the locking collar, and has a safety stop dowel pin so that your camera or lens won't fall if it's not locked down. I'm a bit more ambivalent about the Classic 5 Ballhead that I've got it mounted to, but this works well enough for everything up to 4x5 folders.

The other Q/R to impress me (only lever one I've seen with a lever safety catch) is the newer style Arca Swiss Z-1, which I'd have bought instead if it had been available at the time. I'd like to see them round the sharp square corners and edges of their Q/R base, however. Too many occasions of whacking the back of my head with a tripod while out hiking not to notice such a design oversight. (The Novoflex, to it's credit, has a round base plate.)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're not a fan of the RRS clamps for Arca. As I mentioned earlier, the RRS clamps aren't compatible with Arca or Arca-style plates. If you want to use an Arca or most Arca-style plates with a RRS ball head you have to use the screw-knob type clamp, not the lever.

From the RRS web site:

"NOTE: Choose a Lever Release clamp ONLY if you have quick release plates from Really Right Stuff or Wimberley. . . . Specifically, our Lever Release clamps do not work with plates from Markins, AcraTech, Arca-Swiss, and some Kirk plates–the dovetails are too shallow. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have plates OTHER than those from RRS or Wimberley."

I'm sure a situation might exist that could cause a RRS clamp to inadvertently open. No type of clamp is 100% foolproof. But the RRS clamps I've used have taken a good bit of force to open even by hand when trying to open them. An inadvertent opening from a twig or branch seems very unlikely. A twig or something else small enough to catch in the clamp would likely break before the lever opened.

Obviously the choice of a head and retaining mechanism is a personal choice. I don't think there is one system that's "best" for everyone. If there were then everyone would buy it.

Uri A
15-Nov-2011, 19:44
Just to put the boot into RRS a little for their superior attitude:

I have the RRS-55 (lever) and it's OK. And the plate for my D3 is excellent.

But I got pretty angry with the guys at RRS since they spend so much time tooting their own horns (http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=41) about what geniuses they are in their literature, though they seem to have never laid eyes on a LF camera.

Take a look here (http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyFormat&key=cat) and spot the "Linhof Technikardan". Or here (http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyWood&key=cat) to see what plate they recommend for a "wooden field camera" (2x small screws ... idiots!). Or here (http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BODY&key=cat) to see what they think a "4x5 and LF" camera looks like ...

I spent 15 minutes on the phone to someone (who sounded like they were in a call center and certainly had no idea about cameras) trying to get a plate for my Deardorff. I ended up with a flat plate with a single (small) screw, so I have to use a bushing - hardly what I would call "Really Right".

Also the torque control is utterly useless. All the numbers are meaningless in operation: it's basically on or off. It's easier and more effective to just use the main knob for partial friction.

My experience ...

gevalia
16-Nov-2011, 03:23
I have logged countless hours and miles bushwhacking through dense eastern forest with my tripod/camera draped over my shoulder. I have ripped socks, pants, shirts, and skin on dense growth. But have never had even a close encounter with my RRS lever coming unlatched - it is hard for me to conceive of this ever happening.

+1

Bob Salomon
16-Nov-2011, 04:59
Well, the image of the Technika is a 23 Technika, not a 45. And that isn't a picture of a TK of any size.

Uri A
16-Nov-2011, 05:06
My point precisely..