PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 045N-2 question

Steve M Hostetter
25-Sep-2010, 12:28
Hello,,

I bought a new Chamonix 4x5 045N-2 several months ago and I'm having trouble figuring out what the two " new" rear knobs on the bed function as..?

vinny
25-Sep-2010, 13:43
Swing, I believe.

theKalemkid
25-Sep-2010, 18:10
I have heard of people having focus issues with the N-1 Chamonix. Besides the mystery knobs, how is the camera working out for you?

David Aimone
25-Sep-2010, 18:14
Swing, and it also helps with wide angle lenses. When I put my 75mm Nikkor on it, I often have to move the rear standard back. Right now, I can't remember exactly why I can't just move the front forward, but there was a reason! :confused:

Steve M Hostetter
26-Sep-2010, 00:26
I've found that the knobs don't do anything unless you loosen the front knobs on the bed first then your back will swing ..

Doubt I will use this feature though since it is a nightmare to get the camera zero'ed back to neutral position.!

tautatis
26-Sep-2010, 17:26
Steve,

Take your time and use the camera regularly. You will find Chamonix to be the easiest camera ever. I have a Shen Hao that I have owned for almost 10 years, but have used it perhaps a total of a month. It is an excellent camera, once you understand how to use it. Unfortunately, there is no manual that accompanies the camera.

I have owned my Chamonix 45n-2 for 6 months now and I have shot almost 3 or 4 boxes of 50 sheet films. Personally, this is an indication of how easy and comfortable the camera is. Now, I need to sharpen my photographic skills. As the previous post said, the two nobs are most useful when using short lenses as well as focusing.

Good luck.

Steve M Hostetter
26-Sep-2010, 18:07
Thank you tautatis and everyone,,, yeah, I'm finding it takes time to get it right and I do have little experiance and just need time with the camera..

I've been shooting 11x14 here lately but will be back on 4x5 maybe mid winter so I'll get some more time with the Chammy and make it work for me ...

stevebrot
27-Sep-2010, 13:16
...Doubt I will use this feature though since it is a nightmare to get the camera zero'ed back to neutral position.!

Got to agree with you there! Maybe not a nightmare, but definitely a pain in the rear!

Steve

David Aimone
28-Sep-2010, 07:02
Hmmmm.... I haven't found it to be that difficult to return to neutral position. Interesting...

Got to agree with you there! Maybe not a nightmare, but definitely a pain in the rear!

Steve

Michael Gordon
28-Sep-2010, 07:08
Hmmmm.... I haven't found it to be that difficult to return to neutral position. Interesting...

I haven't found anything difficult about the camera, and certainly not neutralizing rear swing.

For those who previously encountered focus problems with the 045n-1 (I did not), the fresnel has been moved ON TOP of the ground glass; it is no longer underneath.

stevebrot
28-Sep-2010, 11:30

Not that difficult, just sort of fiddly...

Steve

Carterofmars
11-Apr-2012, 08:19
From Chamonix' website:

In my experience and from what I have learned from test results, it seems that lenses of different structure and lenses of different focal lengths will have different focus shift when used with Fresnel lenses. Certain lenses, for example, will produce slight focus shift when stopping down due to their unique structure of the lens. Based on this, I do not recommend that users of 45N-1 camera to change the position of the Fresnel lens as all cameras are tested for the accuracy of the Fresnel position before leaving our factory. By changing the position of Fresnel lens, one can’t solve the focus shift problem for all the lenses, only some of the lenses.
My recommendation for those of you who have this focus shift problem is the following:

1. Take off the Fresnel lens and use your camera as usual.

2. Return your focus screen to your dealer and our factory will modify it by drilling a hole of 16mm diameter in the middle of the Fresnel lens. This small hole can prevent or fix focus shift that may or has occurred. We have done repeated tests with this method and the result is very satisfactory. The small hole will not interfere with your composition on the ground glass and will easily prevent possible focus shift.

For all 45N-1 camera users, I sincerely apologize for this design error caused by my improper judgment. This warns us to be more careful in future and we will fix this error. For future 45n models, this 16mm hole on the Fresnel lens will be standard.

I just noticed the age of this original post. But, someone searching may find this statement from Chamonix useful.

GSX4
11-Apr-2012, 08:27
Just curious how a 16mm hole will fix the focus drift?? Am I missing something?

Carterofmars
11-Apr-2012, 08:29
I was wondering the same thing as well. Maybe someone can explain the principle.

Harley Goldman
11-Apr-2012, 09:42
I haven't found anything difficult about the camera, and certainly not neutralizing rear swing.

For those who previously encountered focus problems with the 045n-1 (I did not), the fresnel has been moved ON TOP of the ground glass; it is no longer underneath.

I would second Michael's comments. I have used the Chamonix for several years and I find it very, very easy and have not had any focus issues. I really like the camera.

chuck94022
11-Apr-2012, 09:57
Just curious how a 16mm hole will fix the focus drift?? Am I missing something?

The website is inaccurate. They did not end up doing the hole. Instead, they did the right thing and moved the fresnel to the outside, and placed a protective glass atop that.

The hole in the fresnel was intended to give you a 16mm fresnel free area in the middle of the ground glass for focusing. Sounded like a real hack to me, since I focus all over the glass. I assume this is why they abandoned that idea.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.029209,116.510885