PDA

View Full Version : carry-on or even "personal item"-size travel bag?

BetterSense
25-Sep-2010, 07:44
When I go on short trips, in the past I have fit my Speed Graphic, 8 film holders, and a lens or two, and even my netbook in a canvas backpack and carried it on. It fits easily under the seat in front of me, counting as my "personal item" and the price is right. The trouble is, one of the zippers broke recently, I've been using it as a gun/ammo bag which makes me worry about tripping security's magical wand things, and the speed graphic, film holders, and netbook kind of jumble around in there. In looking for a replacement, it seems most camera bags are right out because they have a lot of little compartments, where I need like, 3 big compartments.I'm not above using a soft-sided cooler or duffel bag or tackle box. Any ideas?

ki6mf
25-Sep-2010, 09:45
I have a Domke small messenger bag and a Uncle Mikes Range bag. Uncle mikes is a pistol carrier designed for a day at the rifle range. Try and find an old one with out the external pockets. Its a padded bag with rubber bottom. Uncle mikes is exactly the right height width depth for 4X5 film holders has internal Velcro dividers and can fit your camera, lenses film and light meter. I normally use mine to hold around 25 4x5 film holders!

AgentX
25-Sep-2010, 11:21
Check with Courierware.

www.courierwareusa.com

They can make whatever you like (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/80575-review-courierware-messenger-bag.html) to suit your purposes.

(Link shows a 4x5 outfit as well as a Mamiya 6...)

Ash
25-Sep-2010, 12:19
Look at Dakine skateboard bags... you'll be surprised how good skater kit is for cameras

jp
25-Sep-2010, 12:54
I use a LLBean backpack for both trips to the shooting range and traveling. I just make sure there is no ammo or brass in it when I travel. They've never picked up on gunpowder/blackpowder residue. Earplugs or earmuffs are handy for both shooting and flying. Especially when on a turboprop which has some high pitch annoying noises.

Lowes has some nice toploading toolbags that look like they'd hold a speed graphic/accessories/film holders very nicely. The uncle mike's suggestion is worth investigating well.

Right now I use a home depot "aluminum" case to hold my speed graphic, film holders, light meter, extra lens. It would definitely fit under the seat. I have since switched to using pink antistatic bags instead of paper for film holders.

http://www.f64.nu/photo/tmp/lff/hdcameracase.jpg

Frank Petronio
25-Sep-2010, 14:06
I use a $39 EMS Daypack, whatever looks good for the price, 1800cc, etc.

The "secret" are stretchy padded Neoprene wraps and cases, a few mesh pouches, a few heavy ZipLoc freezer bags. I have a storage closet and empty the pack, and fill it only with what I need and not much more. I put all the digicam accessories into one pouch, daily care and First Aid (eye ointment, tweezers, Advil, etc.) into another, and just assemble what I need. I can get the 5x7, five holders, a MacBook Pro, a DSLR, and some other gadgets and associated items, with room left over for some personal stuff, a hat, and a book.

Diane Maher
27-Sep-2010, 10:28
I have used a laptop bag to carry my whole plate kit on board.

Drew Bedo
27-Sep-2010, 12:31
I like the idea of using a nondescript bag that doesn't scream STRASL ME!