PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this $72.00 fresnel lens

dayrun
25-Sep-2010, 02:52
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Zone-VI-4x5-View-Camera-Fresnel-Lens-/220598113270?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item335cac13f6that that has been offered on the trading site? Seller seems to have been selling these for more than a year or two. Thanks in advance.

IanG
25-Sep-2010, 04:00
Possibly, well I'd say almost defiitely as the ebay image is identical to one on another website :D

I bought a fresnel the year before last from a trader in Ohio. It never arrived despite being tracked it disappeared at O'Hare airport, he said he'd sent another that never materialised either he later appeared to have forgotten about that one and I doubt he'd sent it. Finally third attempt a shoddy slightly scratched fresnel arrived.

As the sender it was his responsibility to make a claim against USPS, they were very helpful when I contacted them but they needed him to claim.

I'd looked at taking legal action but it was near impossible because I'd need to claim through the US courts which is not possible from outside the US. I received a fresnel, I'd ordered and paid for a Siper screen.

There was a thread about this trader "Globalmatters" on this Forum he sold alens described as in good condition to a woman in the UK, it was nothing like the description, she had a terrible experience getting her money back She wanted to take legal action as well. Others chipped in about similar bad experiences.

It's interesting that despite many threads about Fresnels NO ONE recommends him.

Ian

Lachlan 717
25-Sep-2010, 05:19
I can recommend one from an Australian seller for approx US$42. Look up (finished) item 120595394337 for details. He'll cut to size as well.

No affiliation; just a really good product and a gentleman to deal with.

lenser
25-Sep-2010, 06:46
Then again, any good office supply store has page magnifiers that are very effective Fresnel lenses. They come in difference sizes, and work quite well once you trim it to size. I used a band saw for mine to fit to my 8x10 Kodak Master and I am quite pleased. I have a much brighter image and no sharpness issues. I do get slight curling at top and bottom since the KM only had anchor points at the sides (horizontal) but it flexes back to contact with the ground glass when I loupe those areas. Oh, yeah. I think I paid all of around $12.00 for the largest size.

Michael Rosenberg
25-Sep-2010, 10:59
I purchased this fresnel, and it was ok. Not as good as some others, but not terrible considering the cost. The lines are fine, but noticeable. He cuts them to size, and I had to have him re-cut it to the correct size.

Mike