PDA

View Full Version : Filter Clearance on a 110mm XL

Ed Richards
24-Sep-2010, 19:36
I have just received a 110mm XL and have been cautioned that there is no enough clearance to use a screw in filter without hitting the front of the lens. That is clearly the case with any filers where the filter glass is close to the back of the filter. But I have some Heliopan filters that seem to have enough clearance. I want to test these rather than just guess. I tried the trick of putting a piece of tissue between the lens and the filter to see if it can move after the filter is on. But static keeps it stuck to the lens so it does not shift even when the filter is loose. Any other ways to test the clearance and not destroy the lens in the process? I have thought about putting a drop of lens cleaner on the center of the lens, screwing in the filter, and watching the shape of the drop. I would prefer something that will protect the lens.

Lachlan 717
25-Sep-2010, 00:46
Make it easy on yourself: get a step-up ring.

I did it, and most of the lenses 110mm's you see for sale have one in place already.

eric black
25-Sep-2010, 04:34
All of my filters start at 77mm so a 67-77 stepper does the trick and no worries about lens contact.

Keith Pitman
25-Sep-2010, 08:52
I got a cheap 67mm filter (a Spiratone remnant!), removed the glass and leave the ring in place on the 110XL. All my filters are 67mm.

J D Clark
25-Sep-2010, 10:13
I found there wasn't enough clearance for me to be comfortable with Hoya and Tiffen filters when I used 67mm filters. I switched back to my 72mm filters (they fit my Schneider 210mm) with a step up ring after discovering the problem.

John Clark
www.johndclark.com

Heroique
25-Sep-2010, 13:10
I got a cheap 67mm filter (a Spiratone remnant!), removed the glass and leave the ring in place on the 110XL. All my filters are 67mm.

A rare instance when no one can rebuke you about a low-end filter on a high-end lens. ;)

A 67-67 glassless “spacer” is my strategy, too, though as others have mentioned, a step-up ring might be an even better idea – say a 67-72 or a 67-77.

(Of course, my 67-67 spacer lets me keep using the “Schneider” 67mm front cap – no need to remove it! And I’m very proud the spacer still says “multi-coated.”)

But I will remove the spacer when I attach my Lee 67mm ring, or when I attach a 67-77 step-up ring – I do have one – since some of my important glass filters are 77mm. Remembering to remove the spacer adds a little bit to movements when I need them…

Kevin Crisp
25-Sep-2010, 13:52
I used a thin line step up ring to 72mm since that is my basic filter size. Works fine.

jeroldharter
25-Sep-2010, 21:20
A 67-67 glassless “spacer” is my strategy...

Where did you get that?

Ed Richards
25-Sep-2010, 21:43
Anyone checked to see how much the 67-72 step up or the spacer affects coverage? (Although I doubt I can come close to edge of coverage on my Ebony.)

Ben Hopson
25-Sep-2010, 22:43
Ditto the thin line step up ring from 67 - 72mm. Never had a problem with coverage.

Heroique
25-Sep-2010, 22:49
Where did you get [the spacer]?

Anyone checked to see how much the 67-72 step up or the spacer affects coverage? (Although I doubt I can come close to edge of coverage on my Ebony.)

It’s homemade – just like Keith’s Spiratone job.

For the spacer, I use a thin-mount 67mm Marumi filter (the “DHG” model, w/ front threads) ... I simply took the glass out.

On top of this 67 spacer, I often attach a 2nd thin-mount Marumi UV filter (for protection when it makes sense), or another specialty 67 filter – say a yellow filter, or polaizer – all of which are thin designs.

This two-filter stack, since both filters are thin, doesn’t vignette on my 110 unless I apply fairly significant movements on my Tachi 4x5 (or Toyo 45c). However, since I also use the Lee filter system, if I try to add a Lee WA ring – either on top of just the spacer, or on top of the two-filter stack – that starts getting problematic. In this situation, I’ll remove the two-filter stack and start w/ just the Lee WA ring + the Lee holder + Lee filters + Lee hood, etc.

My 110’s “everyday” configuration is the 67 spacer + 67 UV filter. That’s what’s on my lens when I pull it from my bag (inc. Schneider’s 67mm front cap, of course ;)). And for many situations, this is how I use it in the woods. The second most common configuration is the 67 spacer + 67 specialty filter. And the hood in both cases.

If I could do it all over again, I might start w/ a nice B+W 67-77 step-up ring, and try to standardize around 77mm filters.

However, for the Lee system, I’d still want to use a 67mm WA ring (not a 67-77 step-up ring + Lee 77mm ring). That’s simply because the 67mm ring attached to the 110 – first, by itself – will provide the most room for movements w/ the Lee system. It keeps the Lee holder as close to the lens as possible.