PDA

View Full Version : Got some neat stuff today...

Pawlowski6132
24-Sep-2010, 17:27
I got about a dozen old packages of paper and film from the 1930s and 1940s; almost all still sealed. I bought them for display purposes only but, can't help wonder what the paper would look like if I tried to use it and, perhaps the film. Here's what I got:

Kodak Velox F-2 (1939 - 1946)
Kodak AZO Grade F No. 2 (1935 - 1945)
Kodak OMC No 10 Bromide Paper (1933)
Marvel Contat Printing Paper (1945)

Eastman Ortho Portrait Film (1940)
Ansco Superpan Press (1951)
Kodak Tri-X (1944)
Agfa-Ansco Super Plenachrome (1945)

Pretty cool. Kinda takes you back.

Mark Woods
24-Sep-2010, 18:13
Process one neg film of each emulsion and read the density. Look up what the Dmin (clear) density should be. What you have should be slightly (or a lot) fogged. Decrease your ASA based on the film's density and bracket in stop for at least 3 stops lower (slower) ASA. You can use the same piece of film and just move the slide 1/4 of the way and expose and 18% Gray card 4 times. You'll end up with a N, N+1, N+1 1/2, & N+2. Read those densities and balance with Dmin to figure out your ASA. When your ASA and developing times result in a true black and an 18% gray, you're home. You can figure your N+ and N- by shooting a gray card and making it lighter through increasing development, or shooting a white card and making it more gray by decreasing the development. The new Kodak Gray Card Plus is an excellent tool for this exercise to determine the ASA of the film and developing times.

Good luck. Sounds like fun and an exploration through history.

Jason_1622
25-Sep-2010, 21:13
Yeah, I bought some old Kodak Verichrome Pan Film 116, still in the boxes for display several years back. The box design looks pretty old, maybe 1950's or 1960's if I guessed, but they look great on my shelf! I think I got 5 or 6 of them new in the boxes for only a buck or two at an estate sale. I won't ever attempt to shoot it. It just looks nice and reminds me of the history of photography.