PDA

View Full Version : IS it possible to covert a glass plate holder to take cut film?

Matt_Bigwood
23-Sep-2010, 14:42
I've managed to get the focal plane shutter working on my VN Press Camera and I also have one of the original holders for 9x12cm glass plates.

Has anyone ever successfully used cut film in one of these after adapting it? I'd guess I would need to cut down 4"x5" film to fit.

Matt

IanG
23-Sep-2010, 14:51
Hi Matt, yes.

There's inserts, basically thin sheet with edges bent over at the sides and bottom, the film fits the insert which then goes in the plate holder.

I have 4 but plan to get more made when I'm back next month. I need to find a sheet metal shop working with thin enough steel, the shop I've used for years haven't the machinery to work & bend thin enough.

9x12 film is easy to buy, I get mine from Fomafoto in Norway, Fotoimpex stock it as well, I think Matt at Ag has it as well now. Ilford sell 9x12 in Europe as it was the standard there.

Ian

Matt_Bigwood
23-Sep-2010, 14:58
Thanks Ian - would it be beyond the realms of possibility to fabricate something like that myself or is it too complex/fiddly?

Matt

Steven Tribe
23-Sep-2010, 16:28
These were sold in the 10,000's. Agfa made them, as well as Kodak. I have both types. They are usually called film sheaths (or sheaves) - depending on whether you use english as a first, or foreign language. The system is excellent. I have also used homemade ones that were not as good. The good thing is that they fit all the many types of 9x12 holders. I have a few russian film sheaves too. E**y is the place - but you will have to compete with me, Ian and others!

IanG
23-Sep-2010, 22:56
I'd add to Steven's comments about Ebay, they show up but the descriptions may not always be correct.

Also it pays to search non US/UK flavours of Ebay particularly Ebay.de, while they runs off one commons database meaning login details, saved items, history etc are the same regardless but the categories don't map across the language portals properly. All my 9x12 holders, film sheath inserts and a couple of Patent Etui's came via the German version, there's far more 9x12 camera's there particularly in the East of Germany.

Ian

Steven Tribe
24-Sep-2010, 01:24
I agree with everything Ian says - it matches completely my own experience! Kodak/Eastman sheaves are always listed correctly as what they are - and size number - is in large permanent white text.

Ole Tjugen
24-Sep-2010, 01:40
Some plate cameras came with a little lever that would shift the lens by 0.3mm after focussing, the difference in "film" plane between a glass plate and a film in a sheath.

cyrus
24-Sep-2010, 12:43
Depending on your aperture won't the DOF be enough to overcome the .3mm shift? If yes, then I guess some double-sided tape is all you need to keep the film in the holder.

Steven Tribe
24-Sep-2010, 13:36
Some of the metal plate holders I have acquired have distance pieces (cut cardboard installed by the owner) to bring the negative plane out to the old glass plate position. Unfortunately, they sometimes remove the spring tensioner at the same time.

Fourtoes
24-Sep-2010, 16:17
I've got a funny feeling I have a load of these sheaves ina box somewhere. I'll take a look in the morning and take a pic and post it up here to see if its the right thing.

Fourtoes
25-Sep-2010, 04:59
Are these what you are looking for?

DOH....these only measure 3x4 for some reason, they were in a load of old MPP 5x4 dds.

IanG
25-Sep-2010, 06:00
Are these what you are looking for?

DOH....these only measure 3x4 for some reason, they were in a load of old MPP 5x4 dds.

Those need stretching a little :D

That's what most of mine look like, but the Kodak, Zeiss etc ones have a pressed pattern in the base to give then more rigidity.

Ian