PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 View Camera Identification?

wallography
23-Sep-2010, 10:07
Hello,

I am looking to purchase an 8x10 view camera and a local gentleman is offering the below pictured setup at the price of $250 USD. Unfortunately, I am unable to identify the maker, or the model - Can anyone provide some insight as to who made the camera, and what it may be worth?

Thank you in advance.

Nathan.

IanG
23-Sep-2010, 10:29
It's a British style camera and these were copied and made in India and Japan.

The Japanese version was made by the Okuhara Camera MFG of Osaka, the Indian a Vageeswari. They both look very similar it's very hard to tell the difference. The Okuhara was exported to the US.

Ian

wallography
23-Sep-2010, 10:47
Ian,

Thank you for your insight.

I have yet to see the kit in person, but provided it is in good working order would it be worth purchasing at that price?

I am unable to find any pricing information for either manufacturer.

Thank you.

Nathan.

Steven Tribe
23-Sep-2010, 10:52
You will find quite a lot of info here (value/quality) if you search using Vageeswari. I would think this is the indian product (which did have other names sometimes) looking at the very odd grain in the wood used.

IanG
23-Sep-2010, 11:12
Nathan, you won't find any pricing guide as they are quite rare. It's a working 10x8 camera so $250 is a very fair price particularly as you get the tripod legs as well.

If it was me I wouldn't quibble or barter I'd just buy it :D

As Steven says it's more likely Indian, they made excellent LF cameras.

Ian

Jim Galli
23-Sep-2010, 11:16
You cannot use ordinary 8X10 film holders and film. That's huge, at least to me.

Vaughn
23-Sep-2010, 11:26
I would consider it if in the long run, I was to replace the back with a standard 8x10 back. Find an older 2D back, or perhaps a B&J off a trashed body, and either do it yourself or have a local cabinet/woodworker do it for you. They could whip out a couple lens boards for you while they had the camera.

I would probably eventually fill in the bottom and adapt it to use a standard tripod/head, that 3-part pod looks awkward to attach out in the field (it looks like there is no head with that set up).

Oren Grad
23-Sep-2010, 11:33
The separate tripod legs are awkward in the field, and in practice are less stable and secure than a modern integrated tripod.