PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic Focal Plane Shutter Repair

Fragomeni
23-Sep-2010, 04:25
Hi guys and gals. So I have a Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic that came to me with a completely non-functional focal plane shutter. Recently, I was sent a junker Anniversary Speed Graphic that has a working focal plane shutter. I've disassembled both and sure enough the parts are a perfect match. I've got the new (operational) shutter ready for installation but after a few tries I was unable to figure out how to properly install the shutter. I did the customary Google search and was unable to come up with any pictorial/ tutorial/ clear explanation of how to properly install/ re-install the focal plane shutter in the Speed Graphic and get it to maintain tension properly so naturally I was hoping that someone on the forum would be able to help me out with either instructions or a link to instruction or a scan of a repair manual. As always, I greatly appreciate all of your help!

Dan Fromm
23-Sep-2010, 05:42
Go to www.southbristoviews.com and look around

Wayne Aho
23-Sep-2010, 07:02
www.southbristolviews.com

Need to add the "L"

Fragomeni
23-Sep-2010, 22:52
Yea I found that page when I was looking around earlier. Great page with lots of info but nothing that's directly relevant to what I'm trying to do (at least that I can find but I might just be missing it). They have a manual on repairing the Graflex Shutter which appeared in much later models but thats a whole different story. If you know that there is info on that site about the focal plane shutter can you provide a direct link to it? Thanks for the help.

Anyone else out there have experience with replacing a focal plane shutter in either a Pre-Anniversary or Anniversary Speed Graphic? Someone out there must have the info or an old repair manual. Thanks in advance for any help!

IanG
24-Sep-2010, 00:02
I've restored the shutter on a pre-Anni Speed Graphic, at the time I hadn't found any information. However Tomosy's book Restoring Classic and Collectable Cameras has a good section on LF focal plane shutter repairs, and you can read the relevant section on Google books or it's available as a complete free down load here. (http://www.ebookee.com/Restoring-Classic-amp-Collectible-Cameras_592667.html)

You need to be more specific as to what the problem is.

Ian

Fragomeni
24-Sep-2010, 03:01
Through quite a bit of trial and error and re-reading this page (http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/anniversary/page%203.html) over and over I figured out what I needed to do. I was confused as to how to properly reassemble the curtain and rods in such a way that the appropriate amount of tension would be present to run the shutter properly. It became an issue of making very slight adjustments to get everything lined up perfectly (I found that in regard to the upper curtain rod, adjusting the connection between the gear teeth on the rod and the teeth on the winding mechanism by one tooth could make a huge difference in alignment and overall positioning).

I tried looking at the section on LF focal plane shutters on Google Books but it restricts access to that section as far as I can see. It looks like a great book worth having as far as I can see so I'll probably purchase it used through Amazon at some point when I have a spare $40. The free download looks a little shady for me. I don't like signing up for free trials or any of that because then I end up having to do more work then necessary to make sure I don't receiving any weird charges or keep getting unwanted emails and spam etc.

Thanks everyone!

IanG
24-Sep-2010, 03:04
You don't need to sign up to download the book.

Ian

Fragomeni
24-Sep-2010, 03:15
This is what i get when I try to download the book...
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy313/guerillaChesko/Misc/Picture1.png

Matt_Bigwood
24-Sep-2010, 03:20
I got that page as well when I tried to download the book - it asks for payment details etc, and I can't see a way of downloading it for free.

IanG
24-Sep-2010, 03:48
On the page I linked to is a box headed Code with this link, which then gives you 2 options Pay for fast download or Free, it works:

http://hotfile.com/dl/45385669/c436cb0/Restoring.Classic.and.Collectible.Cameras.pdf.html

Ian

Fragomeni
24-Sep-2010, 04:30
Bingo! It worked! What a great book and for the price of... FREE! Thanks for walking us through how to get the download Ian!