PDA

View Full Version : 47mm Super Angulon on Lihof Technika

anglophone1
23-Sep-2010, 02:54
Hi
I have the opprtunity to buy a 47mm SA in a wista/linhof board at what I consider is a good price.
Not sure whether how to make it work on my Super Tech V, will it focus in normal [I have a 75mm SA ] wide angle mode on main track at back [w/a] click stop or will it need to be on track in body?
Will I need a recessed board? [its not on one]
Will I need to drop the baseboard [I'm guessing yes]
Or do I need to buy the [expensive] Linhof wide angle focussing mount?
Any help gratefully received as I need to make a decision soon.............
Many thanks!
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

p.s. I already have Graflex XLSW which is 47mm super angulon on 6x9, maybe should just stick with that!

Peter K
23-Sep-2010, 03:42
Clive, the SA 47mm was aviable as f/8 and f/5.6. Both versions where first buildt in shutters size #00. Later in shutters size #0. Both versions covers 6.5 x 9 cm - 2 1/2 x 3 1/2". Only the new SA XL 47/5.6 (https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=168&IID=1841) covers 4x5".

With the Super Technika V 4x5" you will need a helical focus mount (https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1105&IID=1873).

Or with the older versions look for a WA-focussing-device. This device isn't aviable anymore so you have to look for a used one. And the lens has to be mounted on a small board used with the (Baby-)Technika 2 x 3 ". There was also a recessed lens-bord aviable but only for shutter size #00.

Peter

Struan Gray
23-Sep-2010, 03:48
I have a late, non-xl SA 47. Although I'm not a fan of panoramics in my own work, I have confirmed that it covers 6x12 with no movements. It also makes nice square crops which use the whole width of 4x5 sheet film. For me at least, it has its uses on my 4x5 camera.

I use it on a flat board on a Toyo 45a (no movements, so no need to relieve the bellows compression). On my Sinar Norma it needs a recessed board (which I don't have) or a jury rig involving a tilted rail and rise on one standard, as the flared out bases of the Norma's frame-carrier uprights prevent the standards from coming close enough together.

Dan Fromm
23-Sep-2010, 05:41
Struan, if you have a 6x12 roll holder, which one and how do you like it? I ask because I'm contemplating moving up to 6x12 from 6x9, am just starting to educate myself about gear alternatives.

Re 47/5.6 SAs, Schneider claims that both (single-coated in #00, multicoated in #0) versions cover 123 mm at f/22. Sure sounds like 6x12 with no movements.

Struan Gray
23-Sep-2010, 06:19
I have a Horseman. I haven't used it that much, just five or six rolls of film, to have a play and check that it was all in order, but it works as advertised with both the Toyo and the Norma.

It *doesn't* have the feel of fine-tuned mechanical precision that I've had from the MF camera backs I've used (Hasselblad, Kowa, Mamiya 23) but it's light tight and gets the frame spacing right, and I didn't feel I had to baby it in the field.

I got the back as part of the outfit with the Toyo field camera. The previous owner (a generalist/architectural photographer) had drawn pencil lines on the gg and said the field of view was very repeatable and predicable. I can't say I've tested it too closely myself, or gone looking for film flatness issues.

It's a nice thing to have. I hanker to go back to some of the mountain areas I where I used to climb and use 6x12 with some long lenses. I'm also hacking together a point and shoot for the 47 SA which I'll use with the back too.

anglophone1
23-Sep-2010, 07:13
Peter
Its a nearly new 47mm f5.6.............
Thanks
Clive

Clive, the SA 47mm was aviable as f/8 and f/5.6. Both versions where first buildt in shutters size #00. Later in shutters size #0. Both versions covers 6.5 x 9 cm - 2 1/2 x 3 1/2". Only the new SA XL 47/5.6 (https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=168&IID=1841) covers 4x5".

With the Super Technika V 4x5" you will need a helical focus mount (https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=1105&IID=1873).

Or with the older versions look for a WA-focussing-device. This device isn't aviable anymore so you have to look for a used one. And the lens has to be mounted on a small board used with the (Baby-)Technika 2 x 3 ". There was also a recessed lens-bord aviable but only for shutter size #00.

Peter

Bob Salomon
23-Sep-2010, 09:20
You will need either the discontinued Linhof Wide Angle Focusing Device and a special 2x3 Technika board or have your lens converted to a new special board with a built-in helicoid for the 47mm at the Linhof factory.

anglophone1
23-Sep-2010, 09:51
Its starting to sound expensive.................
Clive
www.clive-evans.com

Dan Fromm
23-Sep-2010, 10:13
Um, Clive, while contemplating moving to 6x12 I've looked into 47/5.6 SAs' flange-to-film distances and other useful facts.

Turns out that the older single-coated 47/5.6 SA in #00 has f-to-f 51.6 mm. The newer multicoated one in #0 has 52.6 mm if in Compur, 52.2 in Copal. My target camera the 4x5 Crown Graphic has minimum f-to-f of 52.4 mm. Interesting, eh?

If you want to shoot a 47/5.6 SA on 2x3 (nominal 6x9), you may find a Century Graphic a cost-effective alternative to mounting the lens on your Tech V. That's how I use mine, which is, alas, an old one in 00.

I'm not far enough along to discuss a slightly dished (do the arithmetic) 4x5 Pacemaker Graphic board with adapter to accept 2x3 Pacemaker boards with SKGrimes, but I've had the evil thought. An evil device like that may be the least expensive way to use my lenses on 2x3 Pacemaker boards for 6x12.

Cheers,

Dan

Michael Rosenberg
23-Sep-2010, 11:11
Clive,

I use the 47XL on my Master 2000. It does cover 4x5 with a little room for movement - it is limited by physical constraints. While the Master 2000 does have an internal focusing rail for wide angles, you can do without such a device by moving the back of the camera out. It is a little more awkward, but very doable. I think having the wide angle focusing device is not necessary, more weight to schlep, and added cost. OTOH if you did nothing but a lot of wide angle images it may be an advantage to have such a beastie.

Mike

Struan Gray
23-Sep-2010, 12:39
Ebay has cheap (well, $100 cheap) top hat lensboard sets and helicoids on Technika boards. If you can live without movements, or use 4x5 and crop, they would allow you to use your camera as a rigid box for a non-xl lens. The rear element of the SA projects a fair way backwards from the lensboard, so vignetting by the throat of the lens tube is less of a problem than you might at first think.

rdenney
23-Sep-2010, 19:58
Struan, if you have a 6x12 roll holder, which one and how do you like it? I ask because I'm contemplating moving up to 6x12 from 6x9, am just starting to educate myself about gear alternatives.

Re 47/5.6 SAs, Schneider claims that both (single-coated in #00, multicoated in #0) versions cover 123 mm at f/22. Sure sounds like 6x12 with no movements.

I have used a 47/5.6 (early 70's vintage) in a Compur 00 with 6x12. There is a significant darkening in the corners that is uncorrectable with a center filter. Not a problem for some images but unacceptable for others. Might not be much of a problem with black and white--I have used it with Velvia which is probably the worst case for falloff. I corrected this image pretty strongly for vignetting, but the corners are still dark.

http://www.rickdenney.com/images/Niagra_cannon_scan19-20_lr.jpg

I have both a Shen-Hao and a Sinar Vario 6x12 holder, and (no surprise) greatly prefer the latter. The Shen-Hao is a red-window holder, so it's limited to 120 and you have to just use the odd numbering when advancing the film. The Sinar accepts both types of film, and uses a funky system of remaining centimeters, necessitated by its ability to be set to any format from 645 to 612. Both hold the film flat enough. The Shen-Hao is a tight fit under some Graflok locking tabs. The Sinar can slide under many spring backs, or use a Graflok. Both do what they are supposed to do. In well-used condition, the Vario or Zoom would cost about twice what a new Shen-Hao costs, which is still remarkably cheap compared to the new price.

But surely a Linhof 6x12 holder would look most appropriate on a Technika.

Rick "whose 6x9 holder (other than the Vario) is a Wista that works fine" Denney

anglophone1
25-Sep-2010, 10:04
As I said in original post I already have 47mm on 6x9 [Graflex XLSW]
Loooks like I'll stick with that , hey its nearly 4x5!
Thanks everyone
Clive
www.clive-evans.com