PDA

View Full Version : Sliding back adapter for roll film backs

Daniel Stone
22-Sep-2010, 20:00
hey all,

after getting a 6x7 rollfilm back for my 4x5 a few weeks back, I'm loving the ability to use it with movements(unlike my rz67), and its a more economical way to shoot, unless I want more quality.

now to the main question:

did cambo(my 4x5 camera) or any other manufacturer ever make a sliding back for 4x5? So I(or whoever) could attach a graflok-style RFH to one side, and then have the ground glass to focus, so one wouldn't have to remove the g/g frame, and replace it with the RFH?

could make shooting portraits with the view camera and RFH very efficient, well, more efficient than taking off and re-installing the g/g frame every time you change something...

and I don't want to use 6x6 Hasselblad backs on one of the digital ones from ebay, too expensive...

even if someone made one with say a 6x9/6x8/6x7 mini-graflok back(like on an rb67)? this way one could rotate the RFH on the sliding back, even more efficient.

thanks

-Dan

Jim Galli
22-Sep-2010, 20:31
This one? (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=55908&highlight=70mm)

You'd have to make an adapter for the Cambo.

CCB
22-Sep-2010, 20:45
Toyo-view.

Oren Grad
22-Sep-2010, 20:46
There are several sliding/rotating back adapters for rollholders, but most of them are dedicated to specific view or field camera bodies and would need to be adapted.

This one -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61169-REG/Toyo_View_180_719_180_719_Universal_Graflok.html

- looks to be a direct fit to any 4x5 Graflok back.

EDIT: In case that link breaks later on, the product is Toyo View Universal Graflok Sliding Back Adapter, MAC catalog number 180-719.

Oren Grad
22-Sep-2010, 20:54
I should add, these adapters all take baby Graflok roll holders - none of them will accept roll holders with built-in plates to fit 4x5 Graflok backs.

Daniel Stone
22-Sep-2010, 21:41
well, I could sell the one I have and then just use RB or baby-linhof/wista backs on it.

that ain't a problem, just that its sometimes more convenient to shoot rollfilm. and getting one that can take 220 as well would be nice to boot :).

-Dan

B.S.Kumar
22-Sep-2010, 22:17
I had a Toyo Graflok style sliding back some time ago. I sold it because I don't have any 23 type backs.

Steve Barber
22-Sep-2010, 23:32
Or, you could look for a Linhof Rapid Rolex back. They slide in and use a dark slide, same as a regular film holder:

BrianShaw
23-Sep-2010, 06:40
http://www.cambo.com/Html/downloads/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item16/Cambo_Slidingbacks_2004.pdf

http://www.cambo.com/Html/downloads/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item47/CSL-Instruction.pdf

Might not be exactly what you're looking for...

Vaughn
23-Sep-2010, 08:55
Or, you could look for a Linhof Rapid Rolex back. They slide in and use a dark slide, same as a regular film holder:

That was also my thought -- I have the Calumet roll film holder that is built upon the same idea as the Rapid Rolex. This design does bend the film around a roller in the opposite direction than normal -- which can be a problem if you stop mid-roll for a day. The film "remembers" the opposite curl and won't roll up tight on the take-up reel, leading to potential foggy of the film. I use to unload mine in a changing bag.

Vaughn

Bob Salomon
23-Sep-2010, 09:18
Linhof makEs one for the Master Technika.

Daniel Stone
23-Sep-2010, 18:18
hey guys,

thanks for all the info. After thinking about this, I think that the sliding back is really only practical for people shooting in the studio, people who DON'T have to pack up their camera very often(I have to pack/unpack it quite often due to storage space issues).

and seeing that the size of the calumet or sinar 6x7/6x8/6x9 backs is pretty much the same(and the sinar can take 220 as well), I'll go for one of these.

many thanks!

-Dan

kukzee
16-Feb-2011, 12:57
some chinese manufacturers have been selling ( or advertising) on e bay sliding back for 4x5 camera at 499 or 179 usd...It seemec to come from two different makers.

Joseph Dickerson
16-Feb-2011, 15:52
Horseman makes/made a rotating version. I'm using one on a Sinar with RB-67 backs. It might be adaptable to the Cambo. The Horseman version has a darkslide/baffle built in so when you rotate the holder out of the way, you don't have to re-insert the darkslide. Pretty handy feature.

I bought mine on Ebay for not too much a couple of years ago. I see them advertised on occasion.

JD

Bob Salomon
16-Feb-2011, 17:24
Linhof makes one currently for the Technika and another for the TK system.

Bob Salomon
16-Feb-2011, 17:25
There are also ones for Wista 45 cameras.

picker77
16-Feb-2011, 18:32
Not a sliding back per se, but the Horseman Type 2 6x9 Rotating Back works fine on standard Graflok backs... I used one for a year or so on my Super Speed Graphic, worked great with a Horseman 6x9 roll film holder. Fast and easy to use. Be careful which one you buy, though--there are three IIRC and types 1 and 3 won't fit a standard Graflok, only type 2.

aduncanson
17-Feb-2011, 10:14
I see that the original poster has not replied since September and has decided to go another route. None-the-less I have some information.

I just received a Cambo sliding back, ebay Item number: 110645550256 (search yourself). It does accept 4x5 graflok accessories. I attached my Shen Hao multiformat roll film holder with no problem. It does not make 4x5 images or even 6x12 ones. The viewing side has a 9cm square open ground glass area. The graflok back side revolves on a bearing with an 11cm diameter opening, so 4x5 is clearly out of the question. The slide does not extend beyond the camera back so when the viewing screen is in place, the film will be exposed if the dark slide is not inserted.

So using it requires 1) closing the shutter, 2) sliding the graflok back into place, 3) removing the dark slide, 3a) stopping down the lens (optional), 4) cocking (possibly) and tripping the shutter, 5) re-inserting the dark slide, 6) advancing the film, 7) sliding the viewer into place, 8) opening the shutter and 8a) opening the aperture (optional). Altogether it is not exactly easy-breezy. I wonder what fraction of the time I will remember all of the steps in the correct order. Making it convenient would require the slide to be extended so that the film is shielded when not in position for picture taking and an interlock to close the shutter when the graflok is slid into place a la Wista, (I think). But, it is still fast, sure and convenient compared to removing the Graflok focus panel, attaching the film holder with the graflok sliders and later undoing those steps. I do not plan to use this device outside of studio environments, but that is true of almost all of my Cambo equipment. Not being a production oriented professional, it will not be essential to me.

Since Cambo has been making cameras and accessories for a very long time, I have no reason to believe that this is the only sliding adapter they have made. Others might be far more sophisticated.

Daniel Stone
17-Feb-2011, 10:26
hey guys,

yes, I've decided to go another route altogether, I'm just using my RZ system for MF rollfilm now.

thanks for all the information though!

-Dan