PDA

View Full Version : Dektol Substitute

Pawlowski6132
22-Sep-2010, 07:21
I've developed this crazy reaction to the Metol in my Dektol. It even seems to permeate my gloves.

What would you guys recommend as a substitute?

thanx,

Joe

Merg Ross
22-Sep-2010, 07:36
Phenidone

EdWorkman
22-Sep-2010, 07:50
Phenidone based liquid concentrate developers are available from Freestyle and Photowarehouse. Dunno if they are completely Metol free.

David Michael Bigeleisen
22-Sep-2010, 07:51
I have been using Ilford Bromophen for quite a few years. A few days ago, I did a test in my darkroom with Bromophen and Dektol mixed and used exactly according to manufacturers' directions. Dektol had just the tiniest bit more contrast. But otherwise the results were nearly identical.

David

Eric Biggerstaff
22-Sep-2010, 08:09
Try Clayton P-20, it is a very nice paper developer in a liquid concentrate and is inexpensive as well.

Gem Singer
22-Sep-2010, 08:15
Most developers for paper are either a combination of phenidone and hydroquinone (PQ) or metol and hydroquinone (MQ).

Both phenidone and metol are low contrast developing agents. No need to use both of them in the same developer formulation.

The hydroquinone in the formula is the high contrast developing agent.

According to Steve Anchell, Ilford used phenidone in their formulas as a substitute for metol due to the increased number of people who had become allergic to metol.

I've been one of those people for over thirty years.

Bruce Watson
22-Sep-2010, 08:15
Talk to a dermatologist also. Metol sensitivity is an interesting and annoying version of contact dermatitis. One of those that never goes away once you have it. You're going to want to get every last bit of metol/elon out of your darkroom too. Complete wipe down (I'm talking walls, ceiling (yes I'm serious), undersides of shelves, each and every surface), vacuum out all the cracks and crevices, the whole routine. At least you'll end up with a spotlessly clean darkroom, which will likely have the happy side effect of less dust drying on your negs. :D

Most developers, both paper and film, use metol/elon in combination with at least one other developing agent, so you have to be vigilant in keeping it out of the darkroom.

Finally, get some nitrile gloves and use 'em. All the time. For everything. For you it's important to keep the chems off your skin. As your dermatologist should explain.

IanG
22-Sep-2010, 08:16
Buy Dektol liquid developer, it's Phenidone based. It's called Polymax in some markets.

Ian

Keith Tapscott.
22-Sep-2010, 08:31
Ilford Bromophen uses Phenidone instead of Metol and is an excellent paper developer if you prefer to mix from dry powder products.

Oren Grad
22-Sep-2010, 09:00
There are plenty of PQ-type paper developers. I've been using Ilford PQ Universal and Ilford Multigrade.

Pawlowski6132
22-Sep-2010, 09:53
Thanx all.

Yes Bruce, it's really annoying. Seems to take forever to clear up too. Got exposed accidently at least a month ago and still have visible effects.