PDA

View Full Version : Universal 4x5 Film Holders

Curtis Lowe
22-Sep-2010, 02:22
I have purchased a used Cambo SC-2 but it doesn't include any film holders. I'm wondering if there is any saving to be made by getting universal branded 4x5 film holders rather than those from Cambo?

bobwysiwyg
22-Sep-2010, 02:37
I have an older Cambo myself. Unless yours is unique in some way (not familiar with your model) any of the Elite, Fidelity holders will do. Used, in very good condition, can be found easily on eBay or even through KEH, I believe.

Frank Petronio
22-Sep-2010, 04:32
Any 4x5 holder made in the past 80 years or so will fit fine, the most popular are the plastic Fidelity and Lisco, which are so similar as to be identical except for trim.

You run into issues with roll film backs, instant film backs and such. I think that Cambo SC has a spring rather than a more versatile Graflock back (with a spring loaded removable ground glass frame and sliding mounting tabs on the sides) .... but you may never or rarely need to use anything other than a regular 4x5 holder, the other back options are kind of pointless these days.

BrianShaw
22-Sep-2010, 07:02
Curtis might want to post a snappy of his back so we aren't speculating, but my SC-2 (I think it was called SC-2R) has revolving back, spring-loaded removable GG, and Graflok locks as Frank described. I've encountered full compatability with "normal" film holders and all Graflock-mounted accessories like Graflex roll film holders and 545 Polaroid holder back when they were useful.